Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Book "Electronics of Rock and Roll"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vladan3101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 10:21

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by vladan3101 vladan3101 wrote:

What killed Prog Rock Radio? After reading several books on the subject, the best answer I could find is probably the one that Susan Douglas offered in hers: “ FM accounted for one third of all radio listening but only 14% of all radio revenues” in 1974. 

I believe this is a falsehood, as in LA, at least 2 stations were top, and in Santa Barbara one station was top, and in SF there were a couple of stations that were up there.

To my ears, it seems like typical mis-information so “radio” business seems much more important than the new music ... which of course, they were wrong about.

The 14% number looked low to me too, so I chased Ms. Douglas’s original reference. It is cited in the book, let me see, it was “The Upbeat Tempo of FM 1974,” published in Broadcasting, Oct.1974, p. 41, see worldradiohistory.com/Archive-BC/BC-1974/1974-10-07-BC.pdfBroadcasting was basically a trade journal, so I would tend to believe their numbers.

I never said that Prog Rock FM radio was not popular.  The first of two chapters on it chronicles its rise to the top, easiest to add another quote again:

• FM ratings soared rather quickly, blowing past what most AM stations were achieving in many geographical areas, not just in the Top 40 but in other formats on AM. The total FM listenership did not exceed that of AM until late in the 1970s, but AM never recovered from this onslaught – it took about another decade for AM to turn from being just uncool into its present sorry state, but it was done pretty much for good.

What I believe Ms. Douglas was saying is that advertising revenue did not follow the market share proportionally, which does not surprise me. Before the 1967 FCC’s “non-duplication” ruling, FM was actually in crisis, and the stations were closing. I am giving some numbers from the 1950s to show that.  Stereo and Prog Rock format probably saved FM, but once it took off, station owners started thinking about profits more than they did earlier in the 1970s. 

One last topic ... both electronics and progressive music NEVER DIED ... artists don’t disappear of the face of the earth and please stop that commercial idea that progressive died....

Not sure what you are referring to. I don’t believe I ever said that Prog Rock died (or Rock itself, as some claim). The book has one whole chapter that pretty much argues against that.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 14:08

The first of two chapters on it chronicles its rise to the top, easiest to add another quote again:

• FM ratings soared rather quickly, blowing past what most AM stations were achieving in many geographical areas, not just in the Top 40 but in other formats on AM. The total FM listenership did not exceed that of AM until late in the 1970s, but AM never recovered from this onslaught – it took about another decade for AM to turn from being just uncool into its present sorry state, but it was done pretty much for good.

Hi,

I think this might depend on the place/area in the USA. In California, at least LA and Santa Barbara, I would say that the only AM personality that stood out and continued was Wolfman Jack. For the most part California was all about FM radio ... but now, we have to take a look at the smaller markets, that rarely, if ever, follow the rest of the numbers. I know in Madison, WI, for example, the FM station blew out the AM station in 1968/1969 ... and mostly due to some DJ's that thought they were bigger than the music and spent their time trashing the hippies and ... yeah ... a lot more. But Madison, with a school and 50K students was probably very liberal and the station got ripped.

The late 70's would be an incorrect assumption, because that is like saying that the Great American Corporate Rape, was what made FM come out on top, and that would be incorrect and not likely ... why would you buy something that is not "on top" or "number one", which means that information is likely fudged because no one has stood out for the FM side of things, and someone like Jim Ladd, who would have a million stories between his stays on KMET and KLOS, did not write much about it, and kinda let it go ... I always thought he was paid to shut up about the past ... but the album he did with Roger Waters, pretty much is right on the money about it but we think it didn't happen ... it might also have happened in NY, but I have not much information or knowledge of the radio state in NY, and I can not imagine that the FM radio didn't explode there, since it was in STEREO, whereas AM radio was cheap MONO. In other words, we got to listen to the music you could buy, instead of hearing something not even close and poorly "recorded".

ALL big cities were major on the FM radio in America, and they were what helped the Progressive Music and a lot of Jazz come alive for many folks, instead of hearing some kind of top ten, that had not as great musical design and talent.

And it was the rise of the FM radio adventures that brought us the "new" music, and it started way back in 1972, at least ... when I became aware of it in Santa Barbara, but it had been on in LA, with the PBS station (yeap the famous one) had a lot of progressive and experimental stuff that was only played on the FM radio signal and this even included the Firesign Theater and many other bands by a couple of folks over there in the middle of the night. KNAC also deserves a huge mention, as they had been playing "imports" for a very long time, and probably deserve the kudos for a lot of bands like Golden Earring, Nektar, Genesis, Yes, and many others since they were playing the stuff way before the bigger stations were ... it just shows you how much is "hidden" and not paid attention to ... saddest thing ever ... and you haven't even discovered Archie Patterson, who was a part of the early "imports" and continued it for many years, and was the only American to offer the KS Works, and then MG Works. He was in LA at the time of Jem Records and the beginning of the "import" explosion that happened with the help of a lot of FM stations, though I would say that KMET and KLOS were not as adventurous, but they were all over ELP, Yes, Pink Floyd (much more after DSOTM) ... 

Along with the "imports" came one of the reasons to buy them even more ... if you check with Moby Disk and their folks, TD and KS were totally major as were many other electronic folks that were not exactly played on the air with the except of Guy Guden in Santa Barbara that I am aware of, who played a lot of these things in their entirety!

Both ARchie and Guy (AFAIK) are "retired" from talking about the old days, as the misinformation is not interested in the rebellious folks that helped it come alive. It's much easier to kiss up to the industry so you can get your book published .... oh well ... so much for knowledge, and the attention to it! 

The real knowledge is not wanted or appreciated! But the same gibberish that is from the record companies is what you rely on ... you might start your "education" with the excellent special on Tom Dowd to have any idea how so much of this came from and got started. Rock'n'roll is the last of the elements to wake up and it had to do with the record companies, making sure their stars were given the attention not the bar music scene as folks like Elvis and Chuck Berry were originally considered and called!

Edited by moshkito - March 24 2024 at 07:24
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
vladan3101 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vladan3101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2024 at 11:05

I think this might depend on the place/area in the USA. In California, at least LA and Santa Barbara, I would say that the only AM personality that stood out and continued was Wolfman Jack. For the most part California was all about FM radio ... but now, we have to take a look at the smaller markets, that rarely, if ever, follow the rest of the numbers…

The late 70's would be an incorrect assumption, because that is like saying that the Great American Corporate Rape, was what made FM come out on top, and that would be incorrect and not likely ...

FM listenership not exceeding that of AM until the late 1970s is a data point often mentioned in books and articles on radio. You can find it even on Wikipedia now (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broadcasting_in_the_United_States).

Many stations in big cities did reach top spots much earlier (including some mentioned in the book), and FM did disproportionally better in what I presume is our age group now (under 25-year-old demographic at the time, the article in Wikipedia gives an example), but it did not do nearly as well with older listeners. I would be grateful if you could point to some other reliable numbers. Anecdotal information is always interesting but will not be helpful for the book.

It's much easier to kiss up to the industry so you can get your book published .... oh well ... so much for knowledge, and the attention to it! 

You have every right to dislike my book, but by now, I have a strong impression that you have not read it. First, you accused me of spreading falsehoods about FM ad revenue based on your anecdotal info about ratings. Then you accused me of claiming that the Prog Rock died, which is nowhere in the book. Now, I am kissing up to the industry to get the book published. That is just too much. The book is self-published. I have no connections whatsoever with the music industry for well over 40 years now, and I believe the book is as critical of it as any I know, if not more.

Edited by vladan3101 - March 24 2024 at 11:06
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2024 at 15:39
Vladan, forget about moshkito, he also criticized my book only for its title, obviously without having read it. He went as far as saying something like that the book was discussing the colour of the instruments Confused

He criticises everything from everyone without any foundations, he thinks only he owns the truth because his family had a large library and was fond of arts. 

I only recommend you not to try reading any reviews by him, he has posted very few on PA but they are insufferable.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2024 at 19:54

FM listenership not exceeding that of AM until the late 1970s is a data point often mentioned in books and articles on radio.

Hi,

That's like saying the market in Southern California is not valuable and there was no information on the stations I mentioned.

Many stations in big cities did reach top spots much earlier (including some mentioned in the book), and FM did disproportionally better in what I presume is our age group now (under 25-year-old demographic at the time, the article in Wikipedia gives an example), but it did not do nearly as well with older listeners.

That's possible, although I think that this is faulty ... the station in Santa Barbara, like many in the USA were subject to the FCC's rule about the 4-letter words at the time, and the listeners could be said to be younger, but folks that knew music, were also there ... and the TD concerts, and others did not have just youngsters in it in Santa Barbara, but also older folks.

You have every right to dislike my book, but by now, I have a strong impression that you have not read it. 

1. I can't afford to get it ... I'm retired and on a tight budget. 

2. Why would I be interested in something that is almost totally opposite the time and space I experienced from 1968 in Madison WI to now? The comments are specially sad in my view of things, because the industry survived, despite the attempts to put it down by the record companies and numbers that continually make the original FM owners just a bunch of idiots, although it was their ability to show new music that helped it all, and sadly enough they sold out, after so many years of scratching the surface.

I am kissing up to the industry to get the book published. That is just too much. 

None of those are meant to be an accusation but more of a question. I don't think you would write this book, otherwise, so please reconsider the idea.

And Gerinsky's comment ... mind you that the "instruments" were available at the store to everyone, just about (other than the colors!) and thus, they would not be the reason for the music ... the folks that played were the reason, and this is something that I find Gerinsky is not willing to accept in order to defend his book. You can go to any music store and get many of those instruments, and the same musicians used them for jazz and other ideas. Thus, the "instruments of ... " this or that, is a rather poor idea in my book.

It takes the credit of the musicians themselves out of them ... you might as well start saying that the clock maker (that invented the synth) is the hero, not the musicians that learned how to use it.

I'm simply standing for the musician and the artist ... and all else is not important ... they are the creators and folks like you and Gerinsky are "after the fact" ... and not very original, if I may state so, although I believe you are both (obviously) allowed to do as you please and believe. There is no harm, or bad intention meant at all, but not standing up for the art form, and the artist himself/herself ... is not right. They created the stuff we love, and the instrument was a medium ... not the message!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 04:49

There is no harm, or bad intention meant at all, but not standing up for the art form, and the artist himself/herself ... is not right. They created the stuff we love, and the instrument was a medium ... not the message!

Hi,

And here is my last word on this subject. The materialistic attitude and commercialization of it, is the saddest thing about all this ... it's not even about the person, or the artist ... it's about the peripherals that added to it, and thus, the art form is relegated to worthless ... with the instruments and the medium more important than the message itself. 

FM radio was a massive message, and reaction to what was there before, but it was also an incredible advance in the way we listen to music, this time in stereo, more REAL than before. And the sad thing, is that this means almost nothing to anyone, and the people that worked so hard to make it all work.

It's sad, that in the 21st century we do not have respect and love for the art ... that all we have is a respect for the materialistic side of it all ... the instruments are the message, instead of them being the medium that they are ... but you both would not know that or the difference, is how I think of it ... something that is very sad for me, and you two are not willing to discuss it, and will instead stand by your "book" where the truth is subverted to the instruments, and further away from the person.

Saddest thing, to have more respect for the materialistic side of things, rather than the human aspect of it all, the art of it all.
www.pedrosena.com
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2024 at 12:16
Hello Vladan, I finally got your book Smile
It's going to take me a while to read it because I'm currently busy with some other stuff, but I'm looking forward to reading it as soon as I can, it looks very interesting.
I got the paperback colour version, hardcover was a bit expensive...

vladan3101 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vladan3101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2024 at 14:46
Thanks for letting me know.  I am looking forward to hearing your feedback, especially if/when you spot any mistakes, imprecisions, etc. I have no idea how many people from this Forum might have acquired the book, but I would appreciate receiving all such comments from all who read it.  
     Unlike the classical printings, the text of the books published on amazon.com can be constantly updated, without issuing a formal revised new edition -- they don't print copies in advance, they print them after they are ordered. I cannot do any massive changes in the organization and content, but I can correct almost all minor mistakes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12