Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carmina, an unknown Zeuhl band

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThyroidGlands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carmina, an unknown Zeuhl band
    Posted: March 10 2024 at 19:10
Well, let me introduce you to Carmina, a Zeuhl band from France, known for singing in Latin. There's very little information about this band, and I wanted to recommend it here because it's not in the Zeuhl section, nor has it ever been mentioned on the forum (yes, it's that obscure). The scant information available about this band can be found on the Kohntarkosz Blog. The band opened for Magma a couple of times in 1976, although apparently, their musical direction differed slightly in 1977.

In this concert on May 24, 1977, the band opened for Nico (yes, the same one from The Velvet Underground's debut album), who was a big fan of zeuhl (or at least of Magma, as she has a photo with Vander and company), and played a piece called "Hamra," almost forty minutes long.

There's another recording of this band (also a bootleg) that's nearly ready for release, featuring what seems to be an early version of "Hamra" (or at least an abbreviated one) and three other tracks.

Lineup:
Olivier Brochart: keyboards, vocals
Michel Deuneuve: vibraphone, keyboards, percussion, vocals
Benoit Lallemant: vocals, percussion
Michel Radel: bass
Manuel Denizet: drums

There's a bit more info in the video description.

I wanted to bring this band to your attention so at least some of you can get to know them, as they're unknown even on Progarchives. I thought about putting them in the "Unsigned Bands" section since they don't have official releases, but they're not an active band.

If anyone has information about this band, please post it here or contact me privately.

Share!

Edited by ThyroidGlands - March 10 2024 at 19:11
Bloody bloody racket and rumpus
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2024 at 03:25

That sounds pretty good (actually not in terms of sonic), but the band doesn't seem to have official releases (I've actually contacted the Vapeur Mauve label to remedy that situation)
Let's see what happens 

thx for the h-u 
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply