Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Poll: It's Experimental, Dear Watson
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll: It's Experimental, Dear Watson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Would you like to listen and vote for your three preferred tracks?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [22.22%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2024 at 10:17
Here's a couple of suggestions. I wanted to include Finnish artists and it took me some time to think of suitable ones. 

Mnem - Sphynx (Engrama 10", 2000)

Verde - Liemiruuat on kaikkein parhaimpia (Modern Electronic Circuits, 1999)

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2024 at 01:23
This one is just for fun, although I think that the track isn't actually bad at all. lol

Temps - bleedthemtoxins

'Temps' is an international collective of about 40 musicians put together and produced by British comedian James Acaster. It is one of the many perhaps somewhat weird projects that emerged during the pandemic. However, in this case an album has been recorded and released last year.

According to a press release, the album is named after a human-sized cuddly toy aligator wearing a t-shirt that read Party Gator, which Acaster won at a country fair aged seven. The quirky music video accompanying the song sees Acaster dressed as the Party Gator and interacting with passers-by in and around London's Victoria Park. Just imagine an Easter bunny instead of an aligator. Happy holidays everyone! LOL

Edited by Mila-13 - March 31 2024 at 01:42
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2024 at 00:40
Here's another one from me.

Ori Lichtik - Corps de Walk

I can think of so many artists of avant-garde and experimental music. In the end I decided to give an example of an interdisciplinary artistic collaboration. Here it is about the interaction between music and contemporary dance. Maybe Kees inspired me to some extent, who knows? lol Alternatively, I was thinking of a contemporary opera by Olga Neuwirth but the excerpts I found were either too short or too long. 

In the video above you can watch the Carte Blanche ensemble (Norway's national contemporary dance company) perform 'Corps de Walk' by Sharon Eyal and Gai Bachar. They are a choreographer duo from Israel who have made a name for themselves in the contemporary dance world. Israeli musician, drummer and DJ Ori Lichtik has been involved in all of their work to date. As one of the founding fathers of Israel's techno scene, he has developed numerous music productions, techno raves and various other music and peformance events since the 1990s.

I will try to write a few comments on the suggestions made so far this weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't make it last week because of the Easter holidays. Thank you very much for your comments, Kees. Much appreciated as always!

Edited by Mila-13 - April 06 2024 at 02:08
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2024 at 05:54
^ Thanks, and added to the playlist. Contemporary dance and experimental music go well together (there are many examples; Simon Scott, who I presented here, is one of them, but you can also think of Steve Reich and Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker , Béjart and Pierre Henry, etc.)

And I listened to those piece put up since my last comments...

George: Wananabani-en are interesting because of those unique instruments, but musically it is not very experimental, to my ears, and unfortunately the novelty of the instrumentation wears out rather quickly. I prefer you previous suggestions, especially Herndon and Negativland.

Pekka: Finland is mainly terra incognita to me when it comes to music, so it is nice to discover these two acts here. Mnem sounds very much like the tape music experiments of the 50s/60s; very interesting soundscape, but maybe a bit too many loops. Great sonic quality, though. With Verde we're more in field recording territory with a suble accordeon and percussive sounds, before a spare voice is added. Quite contemplative and very rich at the same time. Makes me think of some works of Luc Ferrari. Very nice! Makes me want to discover more!

Mila: bleedthemtoxins is funny indeed (the video) and the minimalist orchestral electro-pop is not uninteresting. Regarding Ori Lichtik's Corps de Walk, I very much like this type of contemporary dance; the video captures it very well. Not much techno here (fortunately), but a minimalist tribalism, with an orchestral end-note. Very intriguing. I listened to it while watching the video and together it makes a perfect piece. Will listen to it again without watching to hear how that works out.

Edited by suitkees - April 06 2024 at 06:03

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2024 at 04:19
Although this "poll" is very slow it gives me immense joy. I have now listened to most things twice and the last ones once, and I'm happy to say (a) I know why I love experimental music and (b) there is obviously a lot around that I don't know, so thanks for this. Unfortunately these days there isn't that much time for writing about music, and the fact that my browsers have issues with PA and in order to write I need something else than Firefox, which I use for everything else, doesn't help either.

Anyway, I just name some of my favourite things. I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I know many Peter Hammill albums but for some reason I hadn't heard In Camera, and this is a monster of an album, and he knows what he is doing when going experimental. Great stuff! 

The playlist is up to an excellent start with the Simon Scott track, I love electronic atmospheric material and this is right up my alley. Also this has a very good mix of being meditative but still with much development and variation. I wanted to buy the Gastr del Sol album already the first time Kees played something from it and have finally done so now. Also you are right; I knew some Iannis Xenakis before but really not much, and I should do something about that. 

The Wananabani-en tracks are big fun, some more stuff that I will buy. I had never heard of Mnem, but this is another example of exactly how I love electronic music. I can play this kind of stuff around the clock really.

Mila reminded me of my neglected appreciation for contemporary dance, particularly when combined with great music. When I see and hear such material I always think that this could be my thing, but I haven't done enough to explore modern dance in any depth (other than being a Pina Bausch fan). The combination of the elements is wonderful in the Corps de Walk. Just for the music alone, The Brother Moves On is my favourite of yours. Experimental can be relaxed!

Thanks for this great collection!

Edited by Lewian - April 07 2024 at 04:19
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2024 at 09:42
^ Thanks for your  comments.
Maybe we could - slowly - start to think about the tracks we would like to nominate for the poll. I propose that each nominates two track (for those who put up more than two suggestions). Once all the nominations in I can put up the poll - the least interesting part of these IA threads, of course, but it is to give it some kind of closure...

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 17:46
I nominate
Fossil Aerosol Mining Project - 1991 from 2015, 
Alvin Curran - Music Is Not Music.
Stockhausen is most known and his piece is very long, so it's easy to decide against him even if not based on lack of quality.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 02:26
I hesitated a bit regarding the two I will nominate myself, but in the end I choose:
Simon Scott -  The Old Jug And Drum
Gastr del Sol - Hello Spiral

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 00:56
I nominate:

and

Actually, my personal favourite is Ori Lichtik who made the music for the contemporary dance piece Corps de Walk. Dance and music go together, though and cannot be judged separately. Therefore I chose a new track instead. It is a recent piece by NZ-Greek composer John Psathas, performed by the young and talented Swiss percussionist Fabian Ziegler. Psathas is a well-known name but I believe that his music is less known here than e.g. Xenakis. I also like this young Colombian artist, Lucrecia Dalt who I mentioned earlier but I assume that her music is probably not interesting enough for you guys. :P

I'm sorry, I didn't manage to comment but I will do so on the nominated tracks.

Edited by Mila-13 - April 13 2024 at 01:30
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 03:32
I nominate:

Holly Herndon - Eternal
Negstivland - The Way We Know Things
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 03:08

So, when we do a bit of administration, we have these suggestions up till now for the poll:

Christian:
Fossil Aerosol Mining Project - 1991 from 2015,
Alvin Curran - Music Is Not Music

George:
Holly Herndon - Eternal
Negstivland - The Way We Know Things

Mila:
The Brother Moves On - Umthandazo Wamagenge
John Psathas - RealBadNow IV.

Kees:
Simon Scott -  The Old Jug And Drum
Gastr del Sol - Hello Spiral

Pekka (only having two suggestions put forward, so I guess this is OK)
Mnem - Sphynx
Verde - Liemiruuat on kaikkein parhaimpia

Tennyson (if only taking into account those two who produce sound):
Peter Hammill - Magog
Earthena - Symphony of the Crown

If there are no objections or new suggestions brought in before, I'd like to put up the poll with these tonight or tomorrow morning, if that's OK with you.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 02:01
The Poll's up! 
So you can listen to all the nominated tracks, if you haven't done so yet (playlists below and in first post), and vote for your three preferred tracks...

There are two extra poll options between which you can choose the one that fits best your opinion.

Playlist for the nominated tracks appearing in the poll (except Earthena):

Playlist for Earthena - Symphony of the Crown:

Edited by suitkees - April 15 2024 at 02:02

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 12:32
I will be upfront and say that I will not be listening to the entirety of Earthena.

One more track, out of competition. I saw Swans last night and band member Kristof Hahn played a solo set to open. He plays lap steel guitar in a unique experimental manner. I had not listened to him before. Here's a track from 2021's Six Pieces.

Kristof Hahn - Erwachen

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 03:38
I won't vote for Peter Hammill and Gastr del Sol having known them before, but otherwise they'd sure have been voteworthy. This leaves Simon Scott, The Brother Moves On and Mnem for the top spots. 

By the way, I looked a bit around and apparently Umthandazo Wamagenge isn't on any regular The Brother Moves On album but appears on a sampler called Indaba Is. This is a great collection indeed! (Normally if I get to know an artist I'd be happier to explore more work of the same artists rather than a sampler, but here I decided to buy the sampler, and I'm very happy I did that.)
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 10:12
There are 11 contenders for the podium here, so I have to find reasons for not voting on some others, but well... let's skip those. My votes go to:
- Holly Herndon - Eternal
- Fossil Aerosol Mining Project - 1991 from 2015
- Verde - Liemiruuat on kaikkein parhaimpia

Most of all the suggestions were very enjoyable, for one reason or another.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12