Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgSfest ...anyone ever been?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ProgSfest ...anyone ever been?
    Posted: August 23 2004 at 16:36

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any feed back on ProgSfest its being held in October in Wiltshire UK...

The Saturday line up looks brilliant The Tangent and IQ!

P.S I'm new so be gentle with me  

Don't hate me
I'm not special like you
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2004 at 23:14

Petra:

Welcome to Progarchives.  Since I don't live in England, I can't help you with this one.  However, (and I say this gently....), in the future when you post about concerts and festivals, please start the thread under the "Bands on Tour" category, not in Main Discussions.

No problem.  You're new.  You'll learn.  Even our "veterans" get this wrong.

We are pleased to have you here.  Participate and contribute (write some reviews even!) as often as you like.  And most of all, have fun.

Peace.

shaungenesis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 04:58
progSfest is the first of a yearly event...hopefully..... see progsfest.com for details, or email me at [email protected]....... regards. Shaun HUNT organiser
s hunt
onslo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 08:01
i would love to go but i'm gonna be travelling from the 28th of Oct. oh well. next year, perhaps.
Petra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 08:17

I wouldn't miss it for the world

Don't hate me
I'm not special like you
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 14:03
I'll be there.Just 20 minutes down the M4 for me!
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 14:25
You guys in the UK are lucky
Petra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 07:12

WOW! I went to Progfest for just the Saturday and i was very impressed. Unfortunately missed the first band Tantulus due to my bad navigational skills and we got lost . But we arrived in good time to see The Tangent, who were in a bit of a pickle as someone had stolen Roine Stolts lyrics! But Andy Tillson was brilliant and did all the vocals and keyboards wonderfully and was pretty entertaining all round. The Tangent played an outstanding set, almost all the tracks from their two albums, Woooo Roine's guitar playing was awesome, they did go up their own arses at one point and blantantly admited it too!  Finishing with 'Up hill from here' my favourite track it was just perfect.

After a two hour break enough time to wander to the pub for some fine liquid refreshment. It was back to see Pineapple Thief a brilliant young band i suggest if you want to know what Pineapple thief sound like then download 'remember us' from the archives here. They are very atmospheric and melodic  and almost sound post rock to me rather than space rock. They played quite a few tracks from their album 'Variations on a dream' and some new tunes too but Bruce Soord's voice can sound a bit miserbilist after a while.

IQ were next and they were the main reason i went and from the moment they stepped on stage and opened up with a truly fantastic version of 'sacred sound' that almost bought tears to my eyes, i was mesmerised.The charasmatic Peter Nichols vocals were amazing, every song was faultless. I think they covered every track from Dark Matter including the epic 'harvest of the souls'  What brilliant keyboards too and with a back ground film running in synch to the music behind all made an exhilerating performance.   

It was such a shame that the venue wasn't full, where are all the Proggers!!!

Shaun Hunt who organised it talked about doing the same thing next year, and i'm sure said he was trying to get Transatlantic and FOCUS!!!!!

I dont know if this should be put in reviews or bands on Tour    but what ever, everyone should go to Progsfest next year, its brilliantly organised and the thing that was outstanding is everyone is so darn friendly, the bands and the fans!

Don't hate me
I'm not special like you
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 12:31

Don't forget Magenta is also playing in Progsfest.

To Shaun, the webpage of the festival really sucks, can't be reached from my PS, only a Yahoo message (Sorry, this page doesn't exist anymore).

Maybe next year I will go there, the trip from Perú is too expensive and situation is not so good at this moment.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 18:23

I went to both days.The Tangent finished their set with a version of the old Nice 'standard' -America.I was the only ELP/Keith Emerson fan there (probably) so was probably the only one who understood the keyboard player's reference to burning the stars and stripes! They did a barn storming version only slightly marred by the organ not coming through properly.I enjoyed Tantalus although they were nothing special.IQ were awesome as ever and Pineapple Thief amused us by saying that they were really happy despite so many of their songs being sad.Excellent band.

Sunday started off with Shaun Hunt's own band called 'The Progs'.He played twin neck guitar and the band performed covers of ELP 'Karn Evil 9 1st Impression Pt2; Genesis - Cinema Show,Firth of Fifth; Yes - Roundabout,Starship Troopers; Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb; and  King Crimson - In The Court of The Crimson King.They did all these peices superbly.Shaun is quite a player on the twin neck and could give Howe and Hackett a run for their money!

Next up was a band called Galahad who I knew zilch about BUT after their set I vowed to buy at least one of their CD's.Powerfull stuff with an excellent front man in the mould of Fish who was great with the audience.Thoroughly enjoyable.

The evening started with Magenta.Ivan will be pleased to learn that they absolutely took the place by storm.I saw them at Progeny a year ago and was impressed that time although felt they were a little too 'careful' on that occasion.They've clearly grown up now.Chrissie just oozes confidence at the front of the stage while Chris Fry was in guitar heaven for most of the set with his dazzling playing.Fantastic! Shaun Hunt announced to the enthusiastic audience at the end of their set that there will be a 2005 progfest in Chippenham and that Magenta would be headlining it!

So poor ole Ray Wilson last up had to follow that and to be honest looked a little bemused that he was there in the first place.The guy tried hard to be fair but it was a litle bit 'After the Lord Mayor's show'.Enjoyable and he did some Genesis songs but nothing was going to scale the heights of Magenta's set.

The venue (A Leisure Centre) was excellent and the sound quality was the best I can remember for an event of this type.The one down side was the 100 mile walk to the merchandisng hall but at least I got plenty of exercise! if you are thinking of doing this next year then do it.It was great and will no doubt be even better next time with Magenta headlining and playing a fuller set.

Post Reply Post Reply