Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow many MUSE fans here??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 17:48
Originally posted by Ipacial Section Ipacial Section wrote:

It'll be Coldplay next, then Greenday....

Neither. I'm surprised to hear such generalisation from a fan of prog music ...

Ipacial Section View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 17:59

I think you misunderstood my statement.

Now that Muse have made it into the archives, it won't be too long before Coldplay join them. Then Greenday will be the obvious choice to follow them. Lets face it, Muse are no more 'progressive' than Coldplay or Greenday. Radiohead are lightyears ahead of them all.

Alot of the bands in the archives are more regressive than progressive. Perhaps we should have a genre called Reg music. Muse would fit into that nicely, they make extremely cliched music, they're often very cheesy aswell.

Edited by Ipacial Section
www.soundclick.com/ipacialsection
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 18:00

Some of the comments here are bizaare to say the least.

If not a fully-fledged Prog Rock group (to my mind they are as Prog as TMV) they certainly easily qualify as Prog-Related.

Absolution is a very good album brimming with ideas and inventiveness.To me only the most narrow-minded of Prog Fans wouldnt get something out of it.

Stellar review by Certif1ed too. Describes the album perfectly

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 18:03
Originally posted by Ipacial Section Ipacial Section wrote:

I think you misunderstood my statement.

Now that Muse have made it, it won't be too long before Coldplay make it. Then Greenday will be the obvious choice to follow them. Lets face it, Muse are no more 'progressive' than Coldplay or Greenday. Radiohead are lightyears ahead of them all.

Alot of the bands in the archives are more regressive than progressive. Perhaps we should have a genre called Reg music. Muse would fit into them nicely.

No...I would call bands like Anglagard and Wobbler regressive,due to the fact that they use vintage instruments and recording techniques,and are modelling their sound after classic symphonic prog.

Ipacial Section View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 18:06

And i would call Muse regressive, because they are a Jeff Buckley/Radiohead/Nirvana tribute band who play their instruments like it's still the 70's.

Plus, none of their sounds are anything that hasn't been heard before, they don't even seem to make use of genre fusing that much either. Although many would have you believe they do, simply because some of their songs feature piano, played in an 'old fashioned' way.

Edited by Ipacial Section
www.soundclick.com/ipacialsection
alatas View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 18:12
Hi Guys,

The comments to my question are sometimes aggressive, sometimes commendable. All I wanted was for a 'decent' discussion on MUSE. I think I've read many articles that say MUSE is "Prog. Related". If anyone has any strong opinions on this, let's keep those responses less accusatory. After all, we're here for 'friendly' discussion, right?? Or if you MUST let off steam, send PM to me, and don't subject the rest of the group to this. Anyway, keep it friendly guys! P.S. Music is all about personal choice; we all have different opinions on different stuff. It's a very subjective exercise.

"Today is yesterday's tomorrow"
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 18:22

Originally posted by alatas alatas wrote:

Hi Guys,

The comments to my question are sometimes aggressive, sometimes commendable. All I wanted was for a 'decent' discussion on MUSE. I think I've read many articles that say MUSE is "Prog. Related". If anyone has any strong opinions on this, let's keep those responses less accusatory. After all, we're here for 'friendly' discussion, right?? Or if you MUST let off steam, send PM to me, and don't subject the rest of the group to this. Anyway, keep it friendly guys! P.S. Music is all about personal choice; we all have different opinions on different stuff. It's a very subjective exercise.

When you are discussing a band whose addition can be conceived of as "controversial",and that forum members are divided on,you should expect heated debate.Actually,everyone has been pretty civil in this thread.You should have seen it when Queen were added.

alan_pfeifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 18:24
I enjoy them alot. Prog or not, who cares. 
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 03:03
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Hi Guys,

When you are discussing a band whose addition can be conceived of as "controversial",and that forum members are divided on,you should expect heated debate.Actually,everyone has been pretty civil in this thread.You should have seen it when Queen were added.

Very true - and you should have seen the outcry and pandemonium when Radiohead were added

BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 03:06
Originally posted by walrus walrus wrote:

Greats vocals, great guitar work, good drummer, and a very  rythmical bassist. I should say they're a great band, almost as good as radiohead, but they're on the way. Good adittion to ProgArchives..

I wholeheartedly agree!
Just one thing: to me they are FAR BETTER than Radiohead.
The latter often bore me, the former never!

In particular I love some of their songs like Citizen Erased, Bliss, Microcuts, Apocalypse Please, Hysteria and above all the wonderful Stockholm Syndrome.

Way to go, men!
A flower?

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 03:32
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Hi Guys, The comments to my question are sometimes aggressive, sometimes commendable. All I wanted was for a 'decent' discussion on MUSE. I think I've read many articles that say MUSE is "Prog. Related". If anyone has any strong opinions on this, let's keep those responses less accusatory. After all, we're here for 'friendly' discussion, right?? Or if you MUST let off steam, send PM to me, and don't subject the rest of the group to this. Anyway, keep it friendly guys! P.S. Music is all about personal choice; we all have different opinions on different stuff. It's a very subjective exercise.

Very true - and you should have seen the outcry and pandemonium when Radiohead were added

Ah yes, the great Radiohead war of 2004; us old time veterans of that conflict still bear the emotional and psychological scars from that one...

Muse, though - One of the best rock bands around in the UK at the moment, obviously influenced by the past, but very definitely looking toward the future. I personally think their inclusion was way overdue, but hey! Better late than never, eh?

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 05:39
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Some of the comments here are bizaare to say the least.

If not a fully-fledged Prog Rock group (to my mind they are as Prog as TMV) they certainly easily qualify as Prog-Related.

Absolution is a very good album brimming with ideas and inventiveness.To me only the most narrow-minded of Prog Fans wouldnt get something out of it.

Stellar review by Certif1ed too. Describes the album perfectly

Indeed.Absolution blew me away on first listening.They have many prog sensabilities as a band and went out of their way to create something that has different textures and ideas. Essentially I beleive they are a rock band with prog leanings so the category of 'Prog related' is fine. People too often forget that prog rock is a sub genre of rock music and not a sub genre of classical or jazz music.

lmollea View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 07:00
Originally posted by PaHa PaHa wrote:

I really like Muse.I don't care if it's Prog or not.I don't listen to ProgRock, I listen to good music, which happens to be ProgRock most of the time.(Yeah, I love ProgRock.)But Muse is really good music!

I agree.
Prog? Never understood well where the prog fence lies in the field of music, so - personally - I think they're inside or really near that invisible fence.

Semm che, semm che settą giņ in del bar / a cercą l'universo nel bucčer del Cynar
cosmonauti al tavolino cun la sigareta in błca / che vemm a cambią el mund apena finissum la sambuca
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 09:26
I wouldn't say I'm a fan, but I like them.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 15:42

I'm being constantly amazed by the real links to Prog that Muse have;

This quote is from Maani's interview with Rick Wakeman on ProgArchives.com - a site you can trust

"Regarding my favorite artists, I love Muse.  I think they’re sensational.  I have followed them since their first album.  I also like Tool, Air, Mars Volta, and Incubus.  There are some great players and musicians about who are not frightened of being themselves and standing up for their music, and that gives me a great feeling of confidence for the future."

I also found out that besides John Leckie who produced Radiohead, David Botrill who produced Tool also served some time on "Origins of Symmetry", and that album was recorded at two venerable locations - David Gilmour's studio and Peter Gabriel's studio.

Matt Bellamy is also reported as saying that Queen are as much an influence on Muse as Radiohead are.

Muse have a DVD coming out in December, it's been confirmed (yesterday). Pre-order at Amazon - you know I have...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CDINOK/inmusewo rld-21/202-7785689-7301409

Their next album is due out in May next year - Muse only have 25 or so tracks slated for it, so obviously they need to write a few more, chain them together into two or three epics, make it a triple album and then they'll be promoted to full prog - but only after Matt buys a Mellotron and gets in a real lead guitarist 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 17:26
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Muse have a DVD coming out in December, it's been confirmed (yesterday). Pre-order at Amazon - you know I have...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000CDINOK/inmusewo rld-21/202-7785689-7301409

Also available from play.com (and no delivery charges)

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&titl e=843036&p=57&g=72&pa=sr

lunaticviolist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 17:45
I've heard two of their songs from their most recent album.  They are heavily influenced by Radiohead, but Radiohead have their influences too.  The two songs I heard were definitely prog related.  I liked what I heard.  I haven't heard enough to support their inclusion on this site, though.
As a matter of fact, when I first heard them, I was sure they would be included on this site.  I checked but they hadn't been added yet.  I'll have to check it out...

Edited by lunaticviolist
My recent purchases:
barbs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 21:57

Was impressed by the Absolution album and found out about Muse through that. Brilliant showman - the live DVD is well worth watching. I have a work colleague who is developing a stronger interest in prog because I used Muse as a introduction point because of the tastes that he had already developed. He saw them in concert while he was away and was blown away by their performance, particularly their musical virtuosity.

I think the insightful comment about their output bringing some young fans into prog has merit. The clever arrangements will require people unfamiliar with musical complexities to expand their conscious understanding of music, and Muse, like bands such as Porcupine Tree, wether you like them or not, are dominant players in the present and future of progressive rock music because they have the ability to relate to both sides. They are neither so high-brow and eccentric that they have lost touch with the commonality of music, nor are they your everyday popchart bands. *What is the purpose of music anyway!

That there are popular elements to their sound show intelligence, because you sometimes need to get down from your high horse in order to really get the reality of what is going on around you and you will catch a much broader spectrum of support by being broadminded about your musical output rather than being closeminded to the degree of alienating a majority of people. They secret is to neither compromise your musical integrity nor become so precious and pretentious that you end up really making music for no one but people who like sound simply because no one else can stand it. And for what purpose, so that they can say their musical taste is unique and different to everyone else, the inference being - my music is to complex for you to understand - your dumb like everyone else, I'm not. That is in fact regressive because it is a childish attitude that serves only to inflate the esteem of certain individuals whose egos about their music tastes are as big as Rory Gallaghers opinion of his own, but without his bank-balance to at least show something for it.

Some of the original masters of prog could learn a few lessons from the younger up and comers about how to maintain integrity while still remaining relevant and progressive. (and for those of you that would disagree with my comments (and who bag out religion) then I would suggest that you are already religious yourself - about music - because you have your own doctrine and fixed theology on the subject) *check out the definition of religion if you disagree with me.

Subjectively, I can understand why some people may not like or appreciate their music but whatever you do, don't say these bands aren't relevant because these clever musicians are part of the perpetual motion of progressive rock music.
Eternity
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12