Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI too am new

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I too am new
    Posted: December 23 2005 at 03:07
Alright I figure that i should post in here because thats just good form (and i might get a couple suggestions...) Since the other people posts in here are about their musical tastes and history of listning I will do something similar.

First off I would like to point out that I am 17 years old and long ago became disatisfied with what I was hearing on the radio. Now about 2 years ago a little thing called Kazaa found its way onto my computer and as a way to entertain myself (when I was doing homework) I started typing random words into the title search function. It was not long before I discovered the world of metal (the first band actually being Manowar). Soon through various artist collaborations I had discovered all different types of metal. For about a year I listened to metal pretty exclusively until my friends discovered Pink Floyd (and a very special plant...) It was at this point my musical tastes became a little more experimental (For some young person who new very little about the 70's), I listened to Dreamtheatre, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Led Zeppelin, and quite large number of other bands. I stopped downloading music and just buying/trading albums until I discovered the names of all these different types of music. A little later I was researching through wikipedia and learned many interesting things about the Alan Parsons Project, got hooked and the next semester was enrolled in Musical Composition.

Now im listening to King Crimson, Yes, Genesis (early), APP, Pink Floyd, Angra, Dream Theatre, Jethro Tull, Steve Reich, and others. My eyes (or ears) have been opened to many different styles of music in the last 6 months or so and I am finding myself delving deeper into minimalist and Avant-Garde styles. King Crimson is probably my favourite lately but before that I couldnt stop listening to The Knife by Genesis but I do seem to be mysteriously intrigued by Steve Reich.

All in all thats way too much info. but it probably gives you an idea of what I like and how my taste has evolved. I would love to hear any recomondations. I quite like this community already so im glad I found it.
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 03:13
Good choices
Welcome to the Forum
I am also 17, there is a lot of young people here

Pink Lemonade View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 04:33
Welcome to the forum!
I'm Kim, and I'm 15.

Fozzy in 8 days!
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 06:51
Hello & welcome. Seventeen's a good age all-round, really
GPFR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 09:43
Hello and Welcome. I'm the little 14 year old in the back corner...

I too always would find myself listening to the Knife. I tried many things to avoid it, buying The Lamb, listening to Floyd, or Crimson, or Rush. But I always would go back to the knife. It still is one of my favorite genesis songs.
www.myspace.com/hail_peter
Vibilo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2005 at 03:57
Hmm I wouldnt have expected so many young people to listen to prog. I thought that fans of it had sort of just twiddled down to a bunch of university students and people that were around "back in the day". Heh, what do I know though.

There certainly is something about "The Knife". I find I enjoy the second half the most, sometimes I skip right up to what I like to call "The Scream" after that point you just get sucked right in...
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2005 at 18:51
 Post Reply Post Reply