Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 17:48

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I'll repeat what I said in the "Lamb vs. Wall" thread:

interesing that many people seem to think the 2nd part of TLLDOB is "weak". I much prefer it to the first part. it is definitely the more experimental part. but when looking at the story it is quite fitting the album develops like this, because the adventures of Rael just get weirder and weirder, so I don't really complain. by far the best album of Genesis.

Excellent post. I think ths story is mainly a vehicle for doing a variety of emotions through the music.It seems to start as a social commentary but ends up in the realm of the totally absurd. So you can find what you want in it, one interpretation is as good as another. You may listen to a record hundreds of times but you would hardly read something hundreds of times. So I think what Gabriel did with his lyrics is make something that was meaningful yet not totally discernable without taking itself too seriously and having a comic edge .

Therefore i find Gabriel to be amongst the best prog lyricists if not the best

How wonderful to be so profound
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 18:03

Last year I witnessed the splendid Genesis tribute band The Musical Box in The Hague (Holland) with their 24-carat version of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. My first conclusion after the concert was that Peter Gabriel was in those days already way ahead of the average (prog)rock musician by blending captivating, Freud-inspired lyrics with excellent, very varied music (from the mindblowing In The Cage and the agressive Back In NYC to the cheerful, funny and almost poppy Counting Out Time) and innovative visuals (Slippermen, The Lamia, the fake Gabriel, the slide-show, etc.). When Genesis performed The Lamb, many Genesis freaks were confused (as some mentioned in recent topics) but if you listen nowadays to The Lamb it's such a thrilling experience (although I have to admit that side 4 has some less captivating moments because the band was running out of time).

PROGROCK HISTORY..  .. !

ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 22:02
Originally posted by Losendos Losendos wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I'll repeat what I said in the "Lamb vs. Wall" thread:

interesing that many people seem to think the 2nd part of TLLDOB is "weak". I much prefer it to the first part. it is definitely the more experimental part. but when looking at the story it is quite fitting the album develops like this, because the adventures of Rael just get weirder and weirder, so I don't really complain. by far the best album of Genesis.

Excellent post. I think ths story is mainly a vehicle for doing a variety of emotions through the music.It seems to start as a social commentary but ends up in the realm of the totally absurd. So you can find what you want in it, one interpretation is as good as another. You may listen to a record hundreds of times but you would hardly read something hundreds of times. So I think what Gabriel did with his lyrics is make something that was meaningful yet not totally discernable without taking itself too seriously and having a comic edge .

Therefore i find Gabriel to be amongst the best prog lyricists if not the best

I see it as going from the real to the surreal.  Whether of not the lamb lying down on Broadway indicates that it is a dream I am not sure. But it is in the tradition of the epic, in which a hero goes through a series of adventures or mishaps to arrive at a destination. This destination seems to be the discovery of his true self, which of course is a very sixities concept. This story would seem to involve a descent into hell and a purification at the end through Gabriel's water imagery.

I think if you knew the mythological context that he is drawing from, the piece would be a lot clearer than it seems now. The surreal part of the second phase would seem to be an indication of some kind of trip that reveals the basis of mytholgical realities through which Rael lives his life. He must purge those realities to come to a deeper understanding of who he is. Thus, Rael becomes Real. I think Gabriel chooses NY because it is the most decadent, least romantic place on earth. It is the modern city that holds all those mythologies.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123