Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDredg!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 21:16

Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

I've been a dredg fan for many years! 

Catch Without Arms isn't as poppy as it seems at first glance.  While it may be more structured than el cielo, the songwriting skills are definitely superior to el cielo, and the concept is like whoa deep.  However, I do prefer el cielo.  Funny how that works.

Interesting view - I felt the exact opposite when I first bought Catch Without Arms.  The title track is very catchy, in a poppy kind of way (but still a great song).  I was quite disappointed with the 'Perspective II' side, particularly 'Hung Over on a Tuesday' and 'Spitshine', which struck me as very college-indy sounding.

On the other hand, I agree el cielo is the better work.  Not as segmented as the tracks on Catch Without Arms, but certainly more interesting, and one I listen to far more often even though I've had it longer.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
infinite adam View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 01:32

dredg are simply fantastic.

Listen to "el cielo" with headphones on.  Truly a masterpiece.

While "Catch Without Arms" is quite a bit more structured, it follows dredg's pattern of never doing the same thing twice.  A great rock album with many naunces that can't be fully appreciated on the first listen.  Expect their next album to be a complete 180.

P.S.  Spitshine is a horrible song.  It's the only dredg song I dislike. There are at least 3 unreleased tracks from "Catch Without Arms" that should have made it onto the album in its place.

http://theinfinitemachine.com - melodic progressive rock
http://myspace.com/theinfinitemachine
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 09:05
I was recently turned onto this band by my teenage daughter,and love Catch Without Arms.Seeing as how much praise it is getting here,I think I will purchase El Cielo.

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 13:02
^That would be a good idea. You won't regret it, especially if you love Catch Without Arms.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Catholic Flame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 13:14

dredg is a great band put they do get kind of lost.

Like the Taste of Chaos tour they are on right now.  It puts them with groups that they may share commonalities with put are still very different.

“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.”

~Jack Kerouac
adigitaldan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 19:45
If you haven't heard el cielo on SACD, you're missing a lot.  I'll dispense with the audiophile ravings about the stereo mix and get right to the 5.1 mix; it's fantastic.  It is one of my favs next to Floyd's DSotM for best mixed surround sound recording.  All the little transient noises throughout el cielo are well isolated across the rear speakers.  It's almost like a movie soundtrack in how it is mixed.  The surround mix absolutely blows away the stereo mix (which itself is very well done).  I highly recommend anyone with SACD capability to shell out a few bucks and get the SACD version.  BTW, you can pick up an SACD/DVD-a multiformat player for under $100 these days.
The day simply isn't long enough to listen to all this music; my job is really taking away from my listening time!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12