Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFinal Fantasy soundtrack - good music?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Final Fantasy soundtrack - good music?
    Posted: January 20 2006 at 11:02

After listening to so much progressive rock and classical music, I have noticed that Nobuo (Final Fantasy music composer) once in a while composes a great tune in the final fantasy games.

I know that most of the songs are in midi, but some of the songs are very well written! I put the midi files in my expensive keyboard, and they sound really good!

For example: in Final fantasy VI's final boss fight, you get a good hammond organ riff and a rocking bass line,plus another good organ riff in the chorus. Then, there's a slow and dark instrumental section dominated by melodic church organ playing that rivals Emerson's church organ work in "Three Fates" (it also makes me think of the church organ bit in the Flower Kings' "Mosnter within"). It is later accompained by a synthesizer solo.

In Final Fantasy VII's normal boss battles, you get an energetic rock track with a good guitar riff and neat synthesizer riffs/solos.

Final Fantasy VI's boss fight when you fight Atma Weapon and the Statues has all-around amazing organ playing.

In Final Fantasy VII's final boss fight, you get a complex, symphonic piece with mesmerizing choruses singing in latin.

Final Fantasy VIII's song in the intro video is as good as the best movie soundtracks.

final Fantasy VIII's song when you battle Sorceress Edea (and the beginning of the fight against Ultimecia) is probably his best battle theme. The arrangements are clearly influenced by classical music.

Some tracks have the piano used as a bass in the emerson way.

In summary, When the composer is at his best (many songs are mediocre and unremarkable), he can reach the level of Camel instrumentally.

Am I crazy, or do you agree?

Edited by Zitro
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 11:22
I haven't played much Final Fantasy, but I will say that the Metal Gear Solid soundtracks are quite good. I bought the soundtrack for Metal Gear Solid just a few days ago.
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 11:46
Nobuo Uematsu has a strong prog background.  As a teenager, he played in an ELP cover band, often playing Keith Emerson's parts with complete accuracy, at TWICE THE SPEED.

You need to pick up a CD by a group called The Black Mages.  It's music from the Final Fantasy games, arranged prog-metal style.  Nobuo himself plays the keyboards.  They do the infinitely amazing, already long-form proggy track "Dancing Mad" (FFVI final battle theme) in a way that will make proggers smile.

Also, the 3-disc soundtrack to Final Fantasy VI is undoubtedly the best thing ever.

I'm bolding this post because I like to think that the contents are important and "must-read". 
Winter Wine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 12:02

Wow that's a cool idea for a thread. My brother used to always say "Tom that sounds like video game music" when i'd have some prog records on. I always thought that was purely because of the synths and stuff,  But one day I was walkin' to school and one of my friends stopped and waited for me to catch up with her, I was listenin to ONE MORE RED NIGHTMARE on my I pod and she said, "Tom that sounds like some sort of video game music!" I was ASTOUNDED

That was a strange connection alright! But I love some of the music from video games. Ha, anyone remember STREET FIGHTER, ha, some sounds are mad cheesy, but ya can't help likin' it!!!

My computer's broke
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 12:40

I think Camel's Snowgoose sounds like Videogame music.

Anyways, it's good to find people liking this music. He knows how to write good melodies, and interesting riffs and song arrangements. I admit I played many final fantasy songs in my keyboards.

Final Fantasy X has a song called "battle of Jecht" which is heard in the intro video and the final boss fight. Believe it or not, but it is Death Metal!! Check out those guitar riffs and solos!

Nobuo should be added to Progarchives as 'prog related'

Edited by Zitro
D.Noisserger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 12:51
IF you can.... WATCH FINAL FANTASY : ADVENT CHILDREN.  The soundtrack is simply awesome.  If you liked the "One Winged Angel" (final boss music of FFVII) in midi, you gonna absolutly love this orchestrade and metallic version of the song!  (and maybe the fight of the movie ;)  )

Quote Nobuo should be added to Progarchives as 'prog related'

absolutly Yes!

Edited by D.Noisserger
[IMG]http://www.painofsalvation.com/news/images/a-collage-change.jpg">
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 13:13
Nobuo's band "The Black Mages" should be added as progressive metal.

Listen to this song and lemme know what ya think!

The Black Mages - Dancing Mad
Rob_Miller View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 13:38
Most of the final fantasy games that ive played had awesome music and my favorites are FF 3 and FF7.
“Music is the melody whose text is the world.” - Arthur Schopenhauer
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 13:44

Man Overboard, I am just .... Speechless!!

The first half was similar, but with much better soundquality, but the extended church organ instrumental section near the end was just amazing! (because of the brilliant guitar solo) If put as a prog metal piece, it rivals Dream theater and Pain of Salvation's best songs.

Edited by Zitro
 Post Reply Post Reply