Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSo You Think You Know Pink (Floyd)?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: So You Think You Know Pink (Floyd)?
    Posted: October 11 2004 at 15:23
Sorry Greg... I was Welcomed to the Pink Floyd Machine.... a long time ago!!
THIS IS ELP
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2004 at 15:21

I OWN PINK FLOYD-A VISUAL DOCUMENTARY BY MILES-and it had darn near every answer to these questions...I wish I could have gotten to this thread sooner.........sigh!!

Threefates...You know too much party pooper

frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2004 at 18:42

2) sigma, the teaset

8) arnold layne?

see emily play?

11) abbey road

apples and oranges

19) careful with that axe, eugene?

The Worthless Recluse
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2004 at 16:14
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

BTW... I have a copy of the Joker's Wild demo done in the 60s.. somewhere around here.  It wasn't that good, so I never listened more than once.

As ABBA once said "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!" 

(Any juicy technical tid-bits you might have about the sound system - the more blokey, geeky and anoraky the better!). If you've got a spare mp3 of the Joker's Wild demo hanging around, my inbox has been freshly emptied...

The remaining answers are;

9) Someone threw a penny at him, which hit him in the teeth. This might not sound that big of a deal, but back in those pre-decimalisation days, pennies were among the biggest coins in circulation in the UK - bigger than a UK £2 coin. This may well have led to the line "Money - it's a hit..."

10) Originally titled "Games for May", "See Emily Play" was written for and inspired by one Emily Kennet, one of the Floyd's first groupies, according to my source. I would not be surprised if your answer was either the correct one, or also true

15) Although the bubbles were complained about as well, my source says that it was the huge amount of daffodils that were distributed that really wrecked the furniture at the South Bank.

17) According to my source, it was Claude Picasso, Pablo's son who suggested that Joker's Wild use the name The Flowers for their French gigs, as the name didn't translate well into French...

20) Rick went out to do a gig, with the rest of the band - leaving Syd behind (He and Syd shared a flat in Richmond at the time). It was completely understandable - probably necessary to save the band, as Syd just stood on stage de-tuning his guitar. Waters was (surprise, surprise, surprise!) probably the driving force behind the decision.

Edited by Certif1ed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2004 at 11:04

Well actually since my son's godfather worked for Floyd for 14 years off and on..during the 70's - 90s... I have quite a lot of Floyd trivia in my head that I've heard over the years. Especially about the sound system, because afterall he was a sound engineer.  The information regarding "See Emily Play"... that you asked me about my source... my source was actually Robbie Williams, who was Floyd's road manager for years.  We had a long discussion about Syd one night since I was curious... and he was too drunk to shut up...atho I think Syd was before his time too, so I'm sure he was just repeating what someone told him. I've also read it in many an interview since.

BTW... I have a copy of the Joker's Wild demo done in the 60s.. somewhere around here.  It wasn't that good, so I never listened more than once.

Edited by threefates
THIS IS ELP
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2004 at 03:36

So 19. From the clue,must have something to do with Careful with That Axe, Eugene?  But I thought it might be "Have You Got It Yet."

Yep - that's the one! Syd sang "Have You Got It Yet?" the group responded "No", and Syd changed the chord sequence then complained that the group couldn't follow him. Roger got so fed up that he said "Oh, I get it now", put down his guitar and walked out. Sorry - the axe was a red herring!

Quote 14.  Well it was either the famous disco ball... or the first use of surround sound.

Can you be more specific on the surround sound - that was what I was looking for, but it's the name of the contraption I really wanted.

are you talking about the term - Hyperbole Coordinator or septaphonic sound

The Azimuth co-ordinator - the joystick-type controller developed to operate the long-lived four-speaker setup they used, which eventually led to three (I think) of their albums being optionally recorded in quadrophonic.  Many of Floyd's bootlegs bear the name Azimuth co-ordinator as a result.

Hyperbole Co-ordinator was the name given to the controller gizmo that was developed for Septaphonic sound, which was the name they gave to their first multi-speaker setup, which was supposed to have 7 speakers; 2 in front of the audience, 2 behind, one under the floor and one suspended from the ceiling. Unfortunately, nobody knew what to do with the 7th! It was the issues they faced with these prototypes that led to the Azimuth co-ordinator, which they used for quite some time afterwards.

Edited by Certif1ed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2004 at 19:33

So 19. From the clue,must have something to do with Careful with That Axe, Eugene?  But I thought it might be "Have You Got It Yet."

Quote 14.  Well it was either the famous disco ball... or the first use of surround sound.

Can you be more specific on the surround sound - that was what I was looking for, but it's the name of the contraption I really wanted.

are you talking about the term - Hyperbole Coordinator or septaphonic sound

Edited by threefates
THIS IS ELP
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2004 at 19:23
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

I've got a truckload of trivia on the Floyd here, groovers - let's start at the beginning - if we're all sitting comfortably;

1) Name the band that was formed by the 17 year old. Syd Barrett in Cambridge. Bonus point if you can name the band he joined as a 16 year-old. Extra bonuses if you can name any other bands!

2) Give the next 5 (known) names the band adopted.

3) What is Syd's real name? Bonus for the full name, single point for just the christian name.

4) What smoking tool was reportedly used by Syd to create otherworldly sounds on the guitar? Bonus point if you can name any other objects he is known to have used.

5) Name the spaced-out London venue they were to become synonymous with. Bonus point if you can name their "theme tune".

6) Name the band that hooked up with the Floyd for the first (and by no means last) time at the All Saints Hall, Notting Hill on 30th September 1966.

7) What was so illuminating about the numerous concerts that the Floyd gave at the All Saints Hall?

8) Name their first hit single - and score bonus points for giving its highest position in the U.K. hit parade.

9) What was Roger Waters' money connection at the Feathers club?

10) Name their second hit single - again, a bonus for chart position. Double bonus points if you can say who it was about.

11) At which studio was the "Piper At The Gates of Dawn" recorded?

12) What was so wobbly about the Floyd's first big gig at the Roundhouse on 15th October 1966? Bonus if you can name the other major act that featured at that concert.

13) The answer to 16 isn't Marianne Faithful - but it might have been - how was she habitually dressed?

14) What device did Floyd introduce for the first time at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, South Bank on 12th May 1967, which was to rotate its way through many successive gigs?

15) For which act of flower power were the Floyd subsequently banned from that venue?

16) Name the untamed funny band that Gilmour was in before he joined Pink Floyd. Bonus if you can name the band he was in before that.

17) Which famous painter's son suggested that Gilmour's band change its name to "Flowers" - and why?

18) Name Floyd's third single.

19) Name and describe the song that Barrett tried to get the group to play, that led Roger (Waters) to lay down his axe?

20) What did Rick (Wright) really do when he said he was going out to get a pack of cigarettes on 26th January 1968?

Answer to

20) What did Rick (Wright) really do when he said he was going out to get a pack of cigarettes on 26th January 1968?

He disappeared and stopped playing music until 1998LOL

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2004 at 15:12
Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

19. Vegetable Man?  Scream Thy Last Scream?

I'm sorry, you haven't got it... (there's a clue in there ).

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2004 at 15:08

Hey - not bad TF!!!

1. & 2.   First band: Geoff Mott & the Mottoes,  Yep!! next band: Those Without.. then a whole lot of names.. like :

The Spectrum 5

The Hollering Blues

Leonard's Lodgers

The Sigma 6

T-Sets

Meggadeaths

Abdads to the Screaming Abdads to the Architectural Abdads

The Pink Floyd Sound

The Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

About a million bonus points, I think!

3. Roger Keith Barrett

4. Zippo lighter... but I know he also used ball bearings to slide up and down the guitar strings..

The bonus point is yours!

5. UFO Club - Interstellar Overdrive

Bonus!

6. Soft Machine...

7.  Besides the intense light show.. maybe the 6 ft. jello mold  (Two 30-feet high light towers with three projections levels incorporating a dozen radio-controlled follow spots were the center feature of PF's spectacular light show)

The point I was getting at was that this was the (reported) first psychedelic light show in the UK of its kind - with all the effects you mentioned, plus the slide show featuring projected oils and things. I understand the lights were WWII aircraft landing lights...

8.  Arnold Layne... Chart #20

You got the bonus!

Any takers on this one?

10.  See Emily Play...#6... and Syd claimed to have fallen asleep in the woods after a gig and woken up to see a girl, that girl was Emily.

Can't award the bonus unless you tell me the source of your information - I'm equally inclined to disbelieve my own source - I just want to know where you got your info from

11. Abbey Road Studio

12.  Ahh ..here's where the 6 ft. jelly mold comes in at...

Well, it's the contents of that mould I was getting at - the giant jelly in which semi-naked starlets writhed...

13.  Like a nun... but with a very short habit...

Rack up those bonuses...

14.  Well it was either the famous disco ball... or the first use of surround sound.

15.  For using soap bubbles that left soap rings on the leather seats of the auditorium

Partly - but that wasn't what the question was looking for

16. Joker's Wild...

1,000 bonus points for that picture - and another 10,000,000,000 if you can find one of Marianne in her nun's outfit!

17.  Jean Paul Salavatore, David's manager at the time, suggested they change their name to The Flowers.. cause it was the time of Flower Power... and their other name The Bullits was a little to hard.

That doesn't correspond with the interview with Willie Wilson (Joker's Wild's drummer) that I'm using as source... the clue to the person is in the question, but the suggested name tallies. The Bullits are not mentioned in my source - Willie only mentions the Newcomers, Joker's Wild - and the other name they tried to use in France which gave rise to the suggestion to use "The Flowers". Jean Paul Salvatore was taken on as manager because he was Tony Secunda (The Move)'s brother in law - but I have a more auspicious credit for the suggested name. Rick Wills from Joker's Wild went on to play bass for Foreigner. However, I realise that Willie may have remembered differently to other people...

18.  Apples And Oranges

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2004 at 00:55

1. & 2.   First band: Geoff Mott & the Mottoes,  next band: Those Without.. then a whole lot of names.. like :

The Spectrum 5

The Hollering Blues

Leonard's Lodgers

The Sigma 6

T-Sets

Meggadeaths

Abdads to the Screaming Abdads to the Architectural Abdads

The Pink Floyd Sound

The Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd

3. Roger Keith Barrett

4. Zippo lighter... but I know he also used ball bearings to slide up and down the guitar strings..

5. UFO Club - Interstellar Overdrive

6. Soft Machine...

7.  Besides the intense light show.. maybe the 6 ft. jello mold  (Two 30-feet high light towers with three projections levels incorporating a dozen radio-controlled follow spots were the center feature of PF's spectacular light show)

8.  Arnold Layne... Chart #20

10.  See Emily Play...#6... and Syd claimed to have fallen asleep in the woods after a gig and woken up to see a girl, that girl was Emily.

11. Abbey Road Studio

12.  Ahh ..here's where the 6 ft. jelly mold comes in at...

13.  Like a nun... but with a very short habit...

14.  Well it was either the famous disco ball... or the first use of surround sound.

15.  For using soap bubbles that left soap rings on the leather seats of the auditorium

16. Joker's Wild...

17.  Jean Paul Salavatore, David's manager at the time, suggested they change their name to The Flowers.. cause it was the time of Flower Power... and their other name The Bullits was a little to hard.

18.  Apples And Oranges

Edited by threefates
THIS IS ELP
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2004 at 23:35

Damn Useful-Idiot was faster than I was, although I thought that arnold layne was the answer to question 10, and see emily play the answer to question nr 8

11. Abbey road obviously

4. A zippo lighter, did he ever used a violinbow?

18 third single I believe was Remember a day/let there be more light (b-side)

the rest I'd need more time to search. or is that cheating?

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2004 at 22:57

3. Roger Keith Barrett
5. The UFO club?
8. Arnold Layne
10. See Emily Play
11. Abbey Road
16. Jokers Wild
18. Apples and Oranges?
19. Vegetable Man?  Scream Thy Last Scream?

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2004 at 15:36

I've got a truckload of trivia on the Floyd here, groovers - let's start at the beginning - if we're all sitting comfortably;

1) Name the band that was formed by the 17 year old. Syd Barrett in Cambridge. Bonus point if you can name the band he joined as a 16 year-old. Extra bonuses if you can name any other bands!

2) Give the next 5 (known) names the band adopted.

3) What is Syd's real name? Bonus for the full name, single point for just the christian name.

4) What smoking tool was reportedly used by Syd to create otherworldly sounds on the guitar? Bonus point if you can name any other objects he is known to have used.

5) Name the spaced-out London venue they were to become synonymous with. Bonus point if you can name their "theme tune".

6) Name the band that hooked up with the Floyd for the first (and by no means last) time at the All Saints Hall, Notting Hill on 30th September 1966.

7) What was so illuminating about the numerous concerts that the Floyd gave at the All Saints Hall?

8) Name their first hit single - and score bonus points for giving its highest position in the U.K. hit parade.

9) What was Roger Waters' money connection at the Feathers club?

10) Name their second hit single - again, a bonus for chart position. Double bonus points if you can say who it was about.

11) At which studio was the "Piper At The Gates of Dawn" recorded?

12) What was so wobbly about the Floyd's first big gig at the Roundhouse on 15th October 1966? Bonus if you can name the other major act that featured at that concert.

13) The answer to 12) isn't Marianne Faithful - but it might have been - how was she habitually dressed?

14) What device did Floyd introduce for the first time at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, South Bank on 12th May 1967, which was to rotate its way through many successive gigs?

15) For which act of flower power were the Floyd subsequently banned from that venue?

16) Name the untamed funny band that Gilmour was in before he joined Pink Floyd. Bonus if you can name the band he was in before that.

17) Which famous painter's son suggested that Gilmour's band change its name to "Flowers" - and why?

18) Name Floyd's third single.

19) Name and describe the song that Barrett tried to get the group to play, that led Roger (Waters) to lay down his axe?

Edited by Certif1ed
 Post Reply Post Reply