FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Mars Volta in Sydney

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Mars Volta in Sydney
    Posted: January 27 2006 at 19:50

Having obtained a last minute Foyer ticket i then got greedy and swapped with a tout plus 25 hard earned for a an upstairs seat to protect my aching back only to find that everyone stood at this gig. I then returned to the foyer to lean against a 5ft wall behind the back row, the sound was slightly compressed downstairs but on this occasion i did not care too much.

The band was preceded by DJ Cedric a tape! Interestingly part of that tape was from The Lamb Lies down on Broadway which went over the heads of the young audience.

At 8.40 on came all 8 members of the band and launched into Cygnus Vismund minus the opening acoustic intro. This was awesome!

Next up was L'via followed by Eriatarka then the widow at which point the band paused for 30 seconnds then launched into another hour of De loused followed by Cassandra.

Let me say that this was my first look at the band and i have not heard De loused but i was very very impressed. It was like a cross between Led Zepp with Carlos Santana s rhythym and percussion section, a bit of Emerson on keys and the dj from Super Furry Animals making all sorts of bleeps and effects.

The band was not bathed in light and Cedric rarely got a spotlight. The effect of being in the shadows coupled with no raconteuring in fact the only word spoken was thanks at the end , made for a mysterious show. People seemed to be stunned trying to get their heads around the wailing wall of voice and guitar and the rumbling percussion.

I really enjoyed this show and would like to tell the kids to sit down and ebnjoy, soak it up, you don't need to stand unless you need to dance but there was little dancing.

Only possible down points were the repetetive nature of the lengthy jams which maight turn some off.And er .....well thats it.

I loved the Wailing sax and the eccentric frenzied flute playing and the sheer energy of this band. Please go and see this band they are so far above the mainstream its not funny. I'm so glad i saw them as they never come back,,, it took yes 30 years to make the return trip and was that awesome wow.

4.5 stars

There stands Olias to outward to build a ship
Holding within all we hope to retain
The frame will be so built to challenge the universe
Clasped with the skins of the fish of the plain

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 16:06
Interesting review - I've got to see TMV as soon as I can!
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

lunaticviolist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 13:24
I have a recording of that gig.  It sounds fantastic!  I can't wait until they release their next album and make their way to New England!
My recent purchases:
candyman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 14:15
IM new on this site what does mars volta sound like. Sorry im only 15yrs old....
Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 16:51

^

The mars volta is simply the most ORIGINAL band in years and is like a mix of King Crimson, Van der graaf generator and Mahuvishu Orchestra...if that does not tell you anything you should check out the samples on the progarchives site...really amazing stuff especially Eriatarka!

Post Reply Post Reply