Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOperation Mindcrime 2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Operation Mindcrime 2
    Posted: February 28 2006 at 09:51

I have been looking all over the web and have read a lot of positive views about OM 2. Many say it´s the best since Promised Land and say its excellent, there are a few who say its utter ****

This is a thread for anyone who has heard the full album more than once, not a thread to talk about their old stuff.only OM 2

So is it that good?

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 09:58
Is the album even out yet?

Dr Know View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 10:02
It´s been leaked and a lot of people have already heard it. It only will be released at the end of March.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 10:06

Heres a review of it that I found 

It’s quite a feat that Geoff Tate has managed to stay true to his longstanding disdain for metal (for which he’s been pilloried) and still deliver a record that is a bunch of good things, including dark, complicated, true to the spirit and tone of the original Mindcrime, and above all evocative of heaviness without being all that point-blank heavy metallic. Hell, Queensryche also manage a moody murkiness despite a very bright recording, a recording that – either by accident or design – captures the energetic and brisk high midranges of the original ’88 album’s drum sound. The story is set 20 years after the first one, and is just as bizarre as the first one, involving again Nikki and Sister Mary and Dr. X, and like the first one, this one is destined to be admired but only from afar, Mindcrime being metal’s Ulysses (or worse, Finnegan’s Wake) – everybody’s got one but few have actually read it. As well, Queensryche manage to create a modern prog metal masterwork, but more from offering a bewildering stack of textures versus weird time signatures or even riffs. But have no fear, there are rockers (and more often, crunching passages) as well as guitar solos. One of the highlights is ‘The Chase’, which features Ronnie James Dio, the track also speaking to this idea of progressive, sophisticated arrangement plus the aforementioned heaviness without all that much bald-faced heavy metal. The strings or keyboards or keyboard strings or whatever the hell they are, seem to arrive and hang around in too many places mid to late in the album, and I eventually found myself saddled with concept fatigue, but fortunately, songs like ‘Fear City Slide’ arrive to impart upon the listener this seductive sleight of hand the band’s managed, Queensryche impressively crafting a sort of modern, electronic-sheened yet dark prog metal, a descriptor that also applies to the band’s misunderstood at the time but now well-regarded Rage For Order album from ’86. Ends on a miasmic and out-chilled Pink Floyd note with something called ‘All The Promises’, Queensryche almost daring the chattering classes to keep up the tittering about the band losing its metal compass. Simultaneously, the band can walk away, grinning like wrinkled Cheshire cats, o’er the triumph of assimilating the disparate elements of the sprawled catalogue to date along with the sprawled motivations of the five guys forced to pound this thing into place.

Edited by s1ipp3ry
iguana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 10:45
do you expect me to read all that????

having said that, i for one enjoyed QR's much
maligned post-mindcrime/empire efforts and i plead
guilty in actually looking forward to mindcrime 2.
QUEENSRYCHE have taken many risks in recent
years and have certainly progressed as a band. the
original mindcrime was a very political record in a
decidedly politically-uneducated climate (latter-day
reagan era) which, now in bush's second period in
office seems to be repeated, therefore a sequel truly
fits the bill. plus, mindcrime is now 18 years old and
any accusations of cashing in on the original should
quickly die down. however, having chris de garmo
back would be a nice thing...

i don't expect you to read all that

a_07.jpg">

"there are a few progressive rock fans in row 26 –
will you please serve the coffee?"
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?
Dr Know View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 11:13

I think the music critics are sharpening their knives for this release, the same with the new Guns n Roses which is said to be released next month too.

I hope Geoff Tate has the last laugh LOL

Paulieg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 11:26
I for one can't wait for the release.  I'm older now and know I probably won't like it as much as the first.  When Mindcrime 1 came out I was a teenager full of rebellion and this album really struck a chord with me.  Now I"m much older and don't have that much rebelliousness left.  Oh well, maybe it will make me feel like a teenager again.  That would be great.
Progshrike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 11:33
I for one don't expect it to have the impact the first one did but, I am also guilty of looking forward to it. It would be nice to have Queensryche back as a player, even if only a small one, in the prog world. The idea of Dio as Dr. X is intriguing enough.
Did you ever think for yourself? Just once,did you ever think? That's all I want to know>
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 12:20
I'm cautiously pessimistic about Mindcrime II.

Nice name, Progshrike! Am I correct in assuming you've read a Dan Simmons book or two?

Pure Brilliance:
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 14:01

I would so love to see them return to the level they were at at the end of the 80's start of the 90's, but something tells me it will be little more than there last couple of releases, rubbish in other words.

I noticed that review barely mentioned the music, what I wanted to know was have they returned to the technicall level of yesteryear.

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Progshrike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2006 at 18:01

Originally posted by Empathy Empathy wrote:

I'm cautiously pessimistic about Mindcrime II.

Nice name, Progshrike! Am I correct in assuming you've read a Dan Simmons book or two?

YES!! Someone who knows what I'm talking about. I am quite the Dan Simmons fan. Even got to meet him on a signing tour and he his a great guy. Hyperion is my favorite book. Not a household name but brilliant all the same.

Did you ever think for yourself? Just once,did you ever think? That's all I want to know>
 Post Reply Post Reply