Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPorcupine Tree - Where to Start?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 07:31
As said before, start with Deadwing and In Absentia and work your way back to the space rock era.

Edited by disastercasper
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 09:13
Originally posted by eugene eugene wrote:

I've got all of them, and can tell you - get yourself "Coma Divine, Live in Rome" new 2 CD edition.

Despite I do not like live albums in general, this one IMO is the best of Porcupine tree, and basically you need nothing else from their discography .

very good advice. This album seriously rocks. Great sound for a live album. A must have.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 09:33
I disagree. Don't start with a live album. I started with signify, and it worked. The new Porcupine Tree era is not as interesting as the following: "On the sunday of life", "Up the downstairs", "The sky moves sideways" and "Signify". Avoid, by all means, that "voyage 34" thing, and try to get "Love, death and mussolini", because of tha last track. Stay away from their actual sound, wich is "OASIS" like... 
¡Beware of the Bee!

MikeHgl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 09:45

I also have become interested in this band. In fact I have been listening to them more than any thing else over the last year. That said, I would agree with others here and start with the most recent ( Deadwing) and work your way back. The most recent releases , Deadwing and In Absentia, are the most accessiible and also brilliant.

FYI - P.T. started out as a trance band, hence their earlier releases get pretty spacey. Still their is some choice music available from their earlier works too. This band deserves wider recognition.

Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
limeyrob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 15:57
I started with In Absentia also. Can't remember the next ones but the last two I bought where Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream. After a while it doesn't matter they are all great in their own way. If you like their sound you'll end up with all of them. The last one for me to get will be Up the Downstair
Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 22:40
I'm going to be a rebel of sorts and suggest Stars Die: The Delerium Years '91 - '97.  I usually don't suugest compilations, but there some other previously unreleased songs and different versions of songs.  And you you get a good mix of songs and you can pick and choose the order you want to buy the albums in by listening to a track or 2 off that particular album.  But i like every album Pt had done.  So....
BUH!!! It's what the Buffalo say!
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 12:02
I've already got Deadwing and I enjoy it a lot, I also still have Signify to listen to.

I today bought Coma Divine Live and I am very much looking forward to it.  King Crimson comes first though!
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 04:01

Porcupine Tree has been my biggest find in the past year or so. I started with "In Absentia" because I heard 'The Sound of Muzak" on the Archives. What a brilliant album! I am not sure what I got next - I think it was "Deadwing" and since then I have been working backwards so that I have almost all their albums with the exception of "Metanoia" "Recordings" "XM" and "XMII"  as well as the various singles eps etc. 

I think most people have recommended the ones that started me off as great albums to get into PT. Then work backwards - I love their earlier work as much as their later work - I am sure you will as well....

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

DarioIndjic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 11:35
Originally posted by Firepuck Firepuck wrote:

Start with the latest and work your way back - at least that's what I'm doing.

This is the best suggestion!
I have all their albums and if you want to get into them ,try it like this .
Ars longa , vita brevis
Man Made God View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 12:00
Interesting thread, as I still haven't tried PT yet.
I think I'll start with Deadwing or In Absentia as those seem most appealing to me according to this thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12