Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsorry but what is Kraut rock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: sorry but what is Kraut rock?
    Posted: March 30 2006 at 18:02

am i the only one or is this a big thing

i see it on the menu and i'm wondrering what it is?

what are some examples of it too

Ultaigh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 18:07
It's a very psychedelic form of Prog and very experimental expecially with forms such as electronic music (Kraftwerk is a good example) and industrial forms of music.
Since your a beginner I'd start off with something by Can...try Tago Mago or Future Days.
Rashikal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 18:11
Krautrock is a genre of progressive music that is from Germany and is known for it's psychadellic sound and high influence on modern music. It's quite an important genre but some of it is very inaccessible.

if you like post rock check out the band NEU!

if you like out of this world psychadellia check out CAN

that's all I am able to reccomend as I am somewhat of a newcomer to the genre myself

Edited by Rashikal

listen to Hella
Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 18:26

Kraut Rock was a derogatory term set about in reference to the growing music scene in Germany.

Some excellent German bands are Faust, Can,Tangerine Dream, Eloy, Amon Duul...just too name a few. If you want to start slowly try Can-Tago Mago, or Ege Bamyasi. If you like atomspheric or ambient music Tangerine Dream is good start. Bands like Faust are avante garde and not for the faint of heart. Good psyche rock can be found in bands like Eloy and Amon Duul.

Edited by Witchwoodhermit
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
Antennas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 18:29

'Kraut' is an abbreviation of 'sauerkraut'- and as such, the term directs directly to German bands, especially a certain 1970's style of German progrock.

Jesus never managed to figure out the theremin either
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 18:32
A lot of things people refer to as Krautrock, aren't in fact Krautrock as I see it (e.g. Grobschnitt, Eloy, etc...). 'Tis a wonderful genre of music, and personally, I prefer the spacier Kraut music, like Conrad Schnitzler, all Cluster related projects, Popol Vuh, etc... Great Stuff!!!
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
Rust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 18:33
I love the album Pheadra, where do I go from there?
We got to pump the stuff to make us tough
from the heart
Its astart
What we need is awareness we cant get careless
Mental self defensive fitness
Make everybody see in order to fight the powers that be
Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 18:41
Try Zeit, or Rubycon. Alpha Centauri is good aswell. Zeit has great atomshere.
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 18:44
Originally posted by Antennas Antennas wrote:

'Kraut' is an abbreviation of 'sauerkraut'- and as such, the term directs directly to German bands, especially a certain 1970's style of German progrock.

When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 18:44

Krautrock is the best!!!

Aaron

lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 18:47

Rust

Phaedra is a great album and I consider that top of the heap but if you're looking for more Tangerine Dream stuff I would say go with Rubycon or Stratosfear

When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 18:49
Originally posted by Zac M Zac M wrote:

A lot of things people refer to as Krautrock, aren't in fact Krautrock as I see it (e.g. Grobschnitt, Eloy, etc...). 'Tis a wonderful genre of music, and personally, I prefer the spacier Kraut music, like Conrad Schnitzler, all Cluster related projects, Popol Vuh, etc... Great Stuff!!!

The early Grobschnitt were quite spacy too, especially their "Solar Music Suite".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 18:56
There is alot of Krautrock rock today that doesn't come from Germany although the term originally meant that particular psychedelic-progressive rock from Germany.
Recently heard an album by Electric Orange from England which is very Krautrock in style.
My German Krautrock favs are Amon Dull II, Neu! and Agitation Free. Great stuff.
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 18:59
Other bands and artists definitely worth checking out, which have not been named so far: Guru Guru, Ash Ra Tempel, Cosmic Jokers, Kraan, Annexus Quam, Anima, Klaus Schulze, Edgar Froese, Embryo (an often overlooked band, but very important), Between, Deuter. I could continue the list endlessly...
And notice there are 3 bands named Amon Düül,which must not be cnfused with each other. Amon Düül (German), Amon Düül 2 (German), and in the 80s a British Amon Düül were formed by former Amon Düül 2 members Dave Aderson and John Weinzeirl. Guy Evans of Van der Graaf Generator and Ed Wynne and Joie Hinton of the Ozric Tentacles were part of their line-up, as well as the late Robert Calvert of Hawkwind. All from very spaced-out bands too.

Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 19:00
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by Zac M Zac M wrote:

The early Grobschnitt were quite spacy too, especially their "Solar Music Suite".

Yep, the early stuff is much more spacey, but once they got to albums like Rockpommel's Land, they became more symphonic.
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty
Zac M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 19:02
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Other bands and artists definitely worth checking out, which have not been named so far: Guru Guru, Ash Ra Tempel, Cosmic Jokers, Kraan, Annexus Quam, Anima, Klaus Schulze, Edgar Froese, Embryo (an often overlooked band, but very important), Between, Deuter. I could continue the list endlessly...
And notice there are 3 bands named Amon Düül,which must not be cnfused with each other. Amon Düül (German), Amon Düül 2 (German), and in the 80s a British Amon Düül were formed by former Amon Düül 2 members Dave Aderson and John Weinzeirl. Guy Evans of Van der Graaf Generator and Ed Wynne and Joie Hinton of the Ozric Tentacles were part of their line-up, as well as the late Robert Calvert of Hawkwind. All from very spaced-out bands too.

I totally agree with that, excellent band with a HUGE body of work, incapsulating various styles from Jazz-Rock to World Music to Krautrock and everything in between.

-Merleau-Ponty
anael View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 22:56

* Wallenstein. Blitzkrieg (Symphonic)
* Grobschnitt. Rockpommel's Land (Symphonic)
* Bröselmaschiene. s/t (Folk)
* Faust. Rien (?)
* Ash Ra Tempel. Seven Up (Trippy)
* Manuel Göttsching. Private Tapes (Electronic Music)

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 06:48

In the late Seventies my favorite record-shop Moonlight Records in The Hague started to sell Krautrock LP's. I bought albums from Grobschnitt, Jane, Novalis, Eloy, Hoelderlin and Ramses, all has a sticker with Krautrock put on the front cover. Later I discovered that the genuine Krautrock music came from earlier bands like Tangerine Dream, Amon Duul, Can and Guru Guru who were more into psychedelic and experimental (Bob Moog his synthesizers) . In the book Rock Made In Germany (Rainer M. Schroder) you can read that in the second half of the Sixties these bands got their inspiration from the protest movements and some bands even lived in communes (like Amon Duul).

It is a bit confusing .. .. but in fact Jane, Eloy and Wallenstein are no Krautrock bands.

By the way, the name Krautrock is rooted in the nickname Kraut (derived from the vegetable Sauerkraut) that was given to the Germans by the USA soldiers in the Second World war.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2006 at 06:57
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

In the late Seventies my favorite record-shop Moonlight Records in The Hague started to sell Krautrock LP's. I bought albums from Grobschnitt, Jane, Novalis, Eloy, Hoelderlin and Ramses, all has a sticker with Krautrock put on the front cover. Later I discovered that the genuine Krautrock music came from earlier bands like Tangerine Dream, Amon Duul, Can and Guru Guru who were more into psychedelic and experimental (Bob Moog his synthesizers) . In the book Rock Made In Germany (Rainer M. Schroder) you can read that in the second half of the Sixties these bands got their inspiration from the protest movements and some bands even lived in communes (like Amon Duul).

It is a bit confusing .. .. but in fact Jane, Eloy and Wallenstein are no Krautrock bands.

By the way, the name Krautrock is rooted in the nickname Kraut (derived from the vegetable Sauerkraut) that was given to the Germans by the USA soldiers in the Second World war.

Guru Guru, Kraan and Embryo lived in communes too. What's more, these communes had contact with each other, which is why there was a lot of exchange of musicians going on between them.

Post Reply Post Reply