Topic ClosedThe Darkness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 07:30

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Without meaning to offend anyone I think they are a joke.Absolutely terrible.

I have to agree with this sensible chap.

yeppp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 07:53
" maybe we should get them to progarchives " hahaa Darkness is a joke.. meaningless band without any originality or nothing new, inspiring or anything.. just a another stupid rock band.. Maybe we should get them to archives though, if you think about it.. Queen is also here . I laughed a little bit when i saw Beatles and Queen on Progarchives. What will be the next step : RICKY MARTIN
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 11:36
I used to find them moderately amusing in a campy sort of way. Then I discovered that they used to be in a prog band, which met with little success, so they concocted this parody band, which sadly took off, and became a multinational hit.

So the moral of that story appears to be: if you abandon any hope of maintaining your musical integrity, and become a campy, pale parody of a massive and groudbreaking band... you'll make millions!

Pure Brilliance:
Jack-a-lynn View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 11:42
interesting stuff everyone, i was curious to see who was a fan around here or not.

i myself don't have a problem with them- they're quite a bit better than most of the other popular music that's coming out. i think justin hawkins is a very talented guitarist, and as far as popular stuff goes, they are a good band.

i think as long as you let it stick in your head that this band isn't meant to be taken as seriously as pink floyd or dream theater, you wont have such a huge beef with them.
"from the moment i could talk, i was ordered to listen." -cat stevens

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 15:41

I don't think they are a joke band- their second album, 'One Way Ticket To Hell and Back' was terrific, imo. Far more ambitious in every respect than their debut, with well written, flamboyant rock tunes. There are some songs on there that can, and probably will, stand tall with the rock greats a few years later. 'Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time' is one of the all time great rock ballads imo, 'Dinner Lady Arms' is not far behind the quality of Queen, and 'Girl With The Hazel Eyes' and 'English Country Garden' are pretty damned perfect. The one misstep on the album is the overtly twee 'Girlfriend', a real cornball imo, but the rest is great. One of the best rock albums I've heard in absolutely ages.

I think it's a bit much to chastise them for being a joke for having humour in their songs- Queen, The Sweet and Sparks, for example, are roundly praised for the same characteristics- to sl*g off The Darkness for this smacks of double standards to me personally.

Slayer! View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 15:41

I do not like them. However, I would take them over, well pretty much any other pop rock band.

I do have to admit, I saw them perform on a talk show and the guitarist is better than I figured he would be.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12