1 [10.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best XTC Album
    Posted: April 06 2006 at 15:42
XTC are, for me, the second best British "pop" (for want of a better word) behind you-know-who.
Pick your favourite, sorry if your's isn't here.
Me, I'm torn between English Settlement and Black Sea, probably the former.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 16:53
I've only heard 'Drums and Wires' Oranges & Lemons' and 'English Settlement'  The last being my favourite..so far. 'Runaways' 'No thugs...' and 'Senses working overtime' are great songs.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 17:02

My vote goes to Nonsuch.

An absolutely brilliant band. Intelligent "pop".

Edited by Snow Dog
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 17:33
So many great albums, but Skylarking is their masterpiece IMO, closely followed by English Settlement (which has some superb songs but also a couple of real duds). Of all the bands that have been compared to the Fabs, XTC are the only one to really justify being mentioned in the same breath.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 20:53
I've never really heard much of their stuff, but I've met Andy Partridge's daughter Holly, she's good friends with a few of my friends and she often goes to my local club.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 05:41
I only knowthe first two albums and have heard only bits and pieces of the third album
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 09:24

"English Settlement" (1982)

ANDREW View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 09:33

Anybody knows THE DUKES OF STRATOSPHEAR???

The Dukes of Stratosphear" is the name that Andy originally was tempted to use for the band back in 1975. He eventually settled on XTC because he thought The Dukes sounded too "sixties-ish."

The whole Dukes project was an homage to the bands that Andy, Colin, and Dave wanted to be in when they were in their teens. Read the Song Stories book to learn about the things that inspired XTC to write and arrange the songs on this album.

At one time, The Dukes were almost called Electric Bone Temple.

This mini album outsold the previous XTC LP, The Big Express . . .

Kevin Godley and Lol Creme's Medialab planned to produce a full story video based on the songs on 25 O'Clock. The project never materialised. Read more about this in the news section on this website.

The voice at the end of side A -- "that's the most obscene abomination of a song!" etc. -- is a listener's comment on a song called "Go f**k Yourself with Your Atom Bomb" on the radio. Producer John Leckie heard it by chance in a car and taped it while he was in New York. The song was played by Tuli Kupferberg, who was in the a poet for the sixties' rock group The Fugs.

The first line of the song "Go f**k Yourself" is played backwards endlessly at twice its normal speed on the run-out groove of side B. This "endless" feature may be unique to the original British vinyl pressing.

The chattering heard throughout the album is mostly from BBC sound effects records, including a collection of famous quotes about the American Revolution of 1776.

Songs written, demoed, rehearsed, and/or recorded around the 25 O'Clock days include:
"Have You Seen Sydney?" (unreleased; later recorded as "Have You Seen Jackie?" for Psonic Psunspot);
"Nicely Nicely Jane" (rehearsed but never completed);
"Susan Revolving" (rehearsed but never completed); and
"Big Day"* (later recorded for Skylarking).

I have "Chips From The Chocolate Fireball" (An Anthology), which includes "25 O' Clock" (1986) and "Psonic Psunspot" (1987), released with the DUKES OF STRATOSPHEAR name. The music is a refined psychedelic pop, who takes its influences from the sixties psychedelia (BEATLES and ELECTRIC PRUNES in particular), very "english".

dralan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 15:27
 Ooh nice poll. I love this band. My personal fave is "Oranges and Lemons"
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 17:45
Originally posted by ANDREW ANDREW wrote:

Anybody knows THE DUKES OF STRATOSPHEAR???

The Dukes of Stratosphear" is the name that Andy originally was tempted to use for the band back in 1975. He eventually settled on XTC because he thought The Dukes sounded too "sixties-ish."

The whole Dukes project was an homage to the bands that Andy, Colin, and Dave wanted to be in when they were in their teens. Read the Song Stories book to learn about the things that inspired XTC to write and arrange the songs on this album.

At one time, The Dukes were almost called Electric Bone Temple.

This mini album outsold the previous XTC LP, The Big Express . . .

Kevin Godley and Lol Creme's Medialab planned to produce a full story video based on the songs on 25 O'Clock. The project never materialised. Read more about this in the news section on this website.

The voice at the end of side A -- "that's the most obscene abomination of a song!" etc. -- is a listener's comment on a song called "Go f**k Yourself with Your Atom Bomb" on the radio. Producer John Leckie heard it by chance in a car and taped it while he was in New York. The song was played by Tuli Kupferberg, who was in the a poet for the sixties' rock group The Fugs.

The first line of the song "Go f**k Yourself" is played backwards endlessly at twice its normal speed on the run-out groove of side B. This "endless" feature may be unique to the original British vinyl pressing.

The chattering heard throughout the album is mostly from BBC sound effects records, including a collection of famous quotes about the American Revolution of 1776.

Songs written, demoed, rehearsed, and/or recorded around the 25 O'Clock days include:
"Have You Seen Sydney?" (unreleased; later recorded as "Have You Seen Jackie?" for Psonic Psunspot);
"Nicely Nicely Jane" (rehearsed but never completed);
"Susan Revolving" (rehearsed but never completed); and
"Big Day"* (later recorded for Skylarking).

I have "Chips From The Chocolate Fireball" (An Anthology), which includes "25 O' Clock" (1986) and "Psonic Psunspot" (1987), released with the DUKES OF STRATOSPHEAR name. The music is a refined psychedelic pop, who takes its influences from the sixties psychedelia (BEATLES and ELECTRIC PRUNES in particular), very "english".

I have the Chips compilation. The first album is an excellent take off of sixties psychedelia, as you say, whereas I felt the second album was more like a normal XTC album, and it ends with the wonderful Beach Boys tribute "Pale and Precious". I didn't know that about the backwards swearing bit - I will have to dig out the CD and check it, thanks Andrew.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 22:09
This thread's been a bit sunken.  English Settlement was my intro many years ago...

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 02 2008 at 22:09
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 03:48
Drums and Wires for meeeeeeeeee
 Post Reply Post Reply