Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOmar A. Rodriguez Lopez

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Omar A. Rodriguez Lopez
    Posted: April 07 2006 at 15:49
the guitarist for the Mars Volta, Omar's put out two solo albums, both very much in the progressive rock domain.  I think he would make a worthy addition to the site, any thoughts?
vogre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 16:05

No objections here.

In fact I quite love both.

Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 18:19
No objections either. However, I do find hiss solo work much less interesting than The Mars Volta. His self-titled is especially disappointing to me, because, aside from solo cool riffs, it's just one big jam session, with the same basic rhythms and riffs the whole length of the tracks.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
helofloki View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 20:50

Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

No objections either. However, I do find hiss solo work much less interesting than The Mars Volta. His self-titled is especially disappointing to me, because, aside from solo cool riffs, it's just one big jam session, with the same basic rhythms and riffs the whole length of the tracks.

you got to admit though, "one big jam session" does kind of fit the prog label...

Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 20:58
Where would I purchase these? I've heard about them and im too lazy to google it. 
Tholomyes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 21:22

I agree he should be included in PA. A Manual Dexterity(soundtrack) is almost a jam/electronic/post- rock psychedelia that has 5 or 6 songs that are incredible.

Then, The Omar Rodriguez Quintet Side Proyect is strongly influenced by Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 21:25
his name is too long

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 10:50
Yeah, why not?
DeepPhreeze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 15:18
I like his work, I just wish he and Cedric would stop being so mean to Jim Ward of Sparta.

Just goes to show that 'artsy' people and music geniuses can still be complete as*holes.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 16:36
Originally posted by DeepPhreeze DeepPhreeze wrote:

I like his work, I just wish he and Cedric would stop being so mean to Jim Ward of Sparta.

Just goes to show that 'artsy' people and music geniuses can still be complete as*holes.

Why, whats the problem? I dont know what happend between them, can you ilustrate me on this?
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 19:33
Originally posted by helofloki helofloki wrote:

you got to admit though, "one big jam session" does kind of fit the prog label...

Yea, big jams are a part of prog, but what I was getting at was that there was little substance/depth to the music on that album.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 19:35

Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Why, whats the problem? I dont know what happend between them, can you ilustrate me on this?

I'm interested in hearing about this too. I know At the Drive-In's break up didn't have to do with a personal quarrel with Ward or the rest of the group. As far as I know, Cedric and Omar split ATDI up because they wanted to start a more ambitious, progressive band. I never knew what the problem was with Ward. Sparta isn't too bad of a band either; I like them.

DeepPhreeze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 12:15

Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

I'm interested in hearing about this too. I know At the Drive-In's break up didn't have to do with a personal quarrel with Ward or the rest of the group. As far as I know, Cedric and Omar split ATDI up because they wanted to start a more ambitious, progressive band. I never knew what the problem was with Ward. Sparta isn't too bad of a band either; I like them.

In the interviews with Jim Ward, any time they mention Omar or Cedric or The Mars Volta, you can actually watch Jim's demeanor shift. I remember one interview where he was doing all he could to keep from crying (go figure, he did form an emo-hardcore band) -- he insists the break from ATDI was 'a good thing' but he does stress that he was in ATDI since he was 19. He doesn't like to talk about Cedric or Omar.

Cedric and Omar quickly change the subject whenever Sparta comes up. It's almost as if they think Jim is some kind of kid unworthy of their attention.

Watch an bunch of interviews; you'll see what I mean.

We know the split wasn't over politics (TMV and Sparta are both anti-Bush), it was probably first about the direction to take ATDI, and then it got personal. I think Jim wanted to be in on their projects because he liked working with them. But of course, we all know he wasn't invited.

Edited by DeepPhreeze
 Post Reply Post Reply