FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHawkwind - Exeter 7 April 2006

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawkwind - Exeter 7 April 2006
    Posted: April 07 2006 at 19:31

There was no support band, and, with five minutes to go before Hawkwind were due to kick off, the crush at the bar was four deep, which didn't look very promising. Going in late, I don't know what was playing as I entered the auditorium, but the first one I took heed of, once I was in position and generally settled down, was Sword of the East.

Hawkwind don't do much gigging these days, so I was soon surprised to note that they were pretty "tight"; they didn't have fumbling gaps between tracks like sometimes they do. Tonight, they kicked ass. I was also pleased to find that the keyboard noodling was dropped, and that tracks didn't start off strongly but then "fizzle out" or meander into something nondescript. Yeah, I thought it was their best gig for quite a few years.

My early anxiety that they were gonna rehash Chronicles was soon put to rest. The rough set-list (and with some omissions due to personal memory board failures) was:

Sword of the East
Seven by Seven
Money Tree
Angela Android
Lord of Light
Brainstorm
Psi Power
Brainbox Pollution
Upside Down
Psychedelic Warlords
Hassan I Sahba
Spirit of the Age
Lighthouse

Line-up: dunno who was on drums. Dave and Alan were there, there was a chap playing sax, and also a bald guy on keyboards. Broadly speaking, the style was standard 2000-onwards, ie similar to Canterbury Fayre 2001, Exeter 2003, etc.

This was around the 30th time I've seen them, and previously - for one reason or another - I'd had very little disposable income to spend at the merchandising stalls. This time, I took along £80 for DVDs, t-shirts and posters. Yay! And, guess what? - there was no stall!

general rating: if Space Ritual is 10 then this was 7.

Edited by sonic_assassin
sonic_assassin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 20:54

Captain Slog: additional.

Inbetween shaking my hair around in convoluted patterns, I took a few pix. Here's three.

Hawkwind, Exeter 7-Apr-2006

That guy in the middle is not a day over 55. Bloody kids, they get everywhere, these days...

Hawkwind, Exeter 7-April-2006

Open letter to people at gigs who use flash when they're 30 feet away from the stage: don't. It just makes you look like a default-happy nob-end, and unnecessaily distracts people around you. It wastes battery power, too :)

Hawkwind, Exeter 7-April-2006

The guy on drums, that's gotta be Richard Chadwick?  I reckon it is.

Edited by sonic_assassin
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 09:47
Nice pics - I last saw them a couple of years back - spring tour 04 - but it was just the 3 of em. Very low key and not the best introduction for a Hawkwind virgin. My own Hawkwind first was 1972 - the Space Ritual tour - man was that good - I hardly remember a thing LOL!
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 09:58
Nice pics! Very psychedelic!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 20:20

Thanx for the nice comments about the pix... In this day and age, there's little excuse for not posting pix of a gig immediately afer the event. (Being pissed and/or stoned would be a bloody good excuse, by the way....)

I do wish I'd seen Hawkwind on their Space ritual tour, but i was only 14 at the time, and was more into T Rex and Slade and other "glam rock" back then. Eeeek!!!

ViolinCyndee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 23:27

WAY cool pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I have seen Hawkwind only once in Nottingham several years ago.  It was a double-header with Gong/Hawkwind and was AWESOME!!!  Was cool to see Simon on violin, though, I was hoping he'd be a little more assertive in his playing.  (btw... I came from the US for that gig--just a few months after 9/11)

At that time I had NO idea that I'd be touring with Nik Turner and Harvey Bainbridge.   Never know!! 

Cyndee

http://cdbaby.com/cd/cyndeeleerule
www.cyndeeleerule.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 19:51

I dunno if you're allowed to take pix at Hawkwind gigs, these days, so I was pleased to be using a camera the size of a pack of 20 cigarettes. It's the Casio QV-R52 to which I guess much of the picture credit should go, and once you've supressed the auto-flash, even the most diligent steward is unlikely to suss you.

Hawkwind - Exeter, 7 Apr 2006

There was talk before the gig of how the stewards were going to enforce the "no smoking" rule in the autitorium. Their mission statement, on the backs of their t-shirts, was

SECURITY

Total Control

-which sounded rather ominous. However, judging by the number of spliffs being lit, I guess their eventual control fell somewhat short of total :)

Hawkwind - Exeter 7 Apr 2006

Playa10 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 04:17
I have always respected HAWKWIND as a great band ever since the 70's. Kudos for starting this thread!!!!!!!!
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 15:24
Freaky photos! One band I`ve never seen and wish I had. Don`t think they ever played Montreal.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 13:35

According to the info at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/hawkwind/30years_ofhawks.html (Hawkeye) they've played Montreal once - 32 years ago, on 14 April 1974.

Sorry to be such an appalling anorak  

Edited by sonic_assassin
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 14:39
Originally posted by sonic_assassin sonic_assassin wrote:

I do wish I'd seen Hawkwind on their Space ritual tour, but i was only 14 at the time, and was more into T Rex and Slade and other "glam rock" back then. Eeeek!!!

My memories of that gig?

I went with a group of mates
There was a big crush to get in
Took a while to find some of the right stuff
We ended up near the back
The band came on VERY late
The moment Stacia disrobed ("my god she's actually done it")
It was loud

That's it. No more, no less. I remember nothing about the music so I am thankful to have the album to help ....

Post Reply Post Reply