FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuadrophenia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quadrophenia
    Posted: April 14 2006 at 12:04

This week a TV channel in my city broadcasted the "Quadrophenia" film. I saw it for the first time in late 1980, so I wanted to see this film again. I was disappointed a bit. The film ends with the suicide of Jimmy, the main character of the story.Also, there is not a lot of music from "Quadrophenia", only some backing music, and only few complete songs. Also, the story is told in another way.

I bought the album "Quadrophenia" (not the soundtrack of the film, the original 1973 album, but re-mixed and remastered in 1996). I listened again to this album today, and this album has very good music, and it is maybe the last great album released by The Who. For me, it wasn`t clear, after reading the explanation notes about the story in the booklet, if Jimmy took his life at the end of the story, or if he found at last mental peace to live his life in a better way.

The story is sad, but the music is very good, IMO. What do you think of "Quadrophenia"?

Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Lazy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 12:11

I Think that Peter.T did his best work in this masterpiece of music... even better than "Tommy" for me. I didn´t see the movie, because I´m too young and in these days it´s difficult here to found this reliques like Tommy´s movie (this one I´ve seen) and other stuff relationated.... Umm... Whatever, it´s an excellent album and I hope I can see the movie quickly.

...And as the fear grows, the bad blood slows and turns to stone...
man@arms View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 12:56

Quadrophenia is The Who's masterwork handsdown

Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 14:34
THe film was done on the cheap.There are a lot of errors in it.
ie When Jimmy and Steph(Lesley Ash) wake up to find themselves surrounded by Hell's Angel and one has the Motorhead logo on the back of his jacket.
When they are driving down Ladbroke Grove,there are models of car that didn't exist until at least another 10 years later.

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 17:47
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

THe film was done on the cheap.There are a lot of errors in it.
ie When Jimmy and Steph(Lesley Ash) wake up to find themselves surrounded by Hell's Angel and one has the Motorhead logo on the back of his jacket.
When they are driving down Ladbroke Grove,there are models of car that didn't exist until at least another 10 years later.

Different movie, same thing
Has anyone seen Velvet Goldmine? Its the story about a glam rock singer (loosly based on Bowie)...
In one point he his playing in a festival and the keyboarder is playing a "too thin" keyboard...which must be like from ten or fifteen years later jejejee...but I guess only people like us can  tell thouse mistakes
On another point there is a band playing (this is 1972!!!)...playing punk, not hard rock or ...straight rock whatever...punk...jejeje Now, that is a clear mistake!!! 
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 07:52
Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

This week a TV channel in my city broadcasted the "Quadrophenia" film. I saw it for the first time in late 1980, so I wanted to see this film again. I was disappointed a bit. The film ends with the suicide of Jimmy, the main character of the story.Also, there is not a lot of music from "Quadrophenia", only some backing music, and only few complete songs. Also, the story is told in another way.

I bought the album "Quadrophenia" (not the soundtrack of the film, the original 1973 album, but re-mixed and remastered in 1996). I listened again to this album today, and this album has very good music, and it is maybe the last great album released by The Who. For me, it wasn`t clear, after reading the explanation notes about the story in the booklet, if Jimmy took his life at the end of the story, or if he found at last mental peace to live his life in a better way.

The story is sad, but the music is very good, IMO. What do you think of "Quadrophenia"?

Minor correction, if I may..

Jimmy doesn't kill himself. He - somehow - drives the scooter off the edge of the cliff.. BUT, at the beginning of the film you see Jimmy walking away from the egde of the same cliff, with the setting sun behind him. He is basically ditching the mod lifestyle, and turning his back on all the drugs, back stabbing and heart ache that got him into that awful state of mind. The whole fim is about Jimmys efforts to fit in with his mod friends, but ends with him realising that the whole scene is not worth the pain. It's quite a positive ending in that resepct.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 09:54
It is one of my favorite albums at all times. It shows Pete Townsend at his very peak as a songwriter and the rest of the band as musicians. The best Who albu, by far, but I have yet to see the film which I have heard is excellent.
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 12:30
As Blacksword already commented on the impression of the wrong or sad ending of the movie, I don't have to talk about that.
The album "Quadrophenia" is an absolute masterpiece and deserves to be listened to in times to come as an equal to "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" by Genesis (wouldn't that make one hell of a movie?) or "The Wall" by Pink Floyd (the movie wasn't too bad either).
As to the mistakes ManErg pointed to: Yes, there are mistakes, but a lot of movies have mistakes in them. Remember "Ben Hur"? There was somebody in it wearing a wristwatch!!

"We've got to get in to get out"
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 17:00

Yes, I also thought about it. In the film I couldn`t see Jimmy dead. The scooter falls into the sea, but his body isn`t shown. The same is for the booklet of the album.In one page there is a photo of him in the sea like "drowned". But in the next pages he is walking in the beach. The back cover photo of the CD has his scooter destroyed in the sea.The back cover of the booklet shows the beach without him.

The confusion done in the film is because he is driving his scooter in a very high speed, so when the scooter falls to the sea without him, it is not possible to imagine him leaving the scooter at a high speed near the edge.

Anyway, I  also prefer "happy endings" : Jimmy leaves his suffering away and learns to live his life in a better way.

"Quadrophenia" for me is a Masterpiece too. I particularly prefer the second disc, the songs "Dr. Jimmy", "The Rock" and the great finale, "Love Reign O`er Me". The band played with a lot of energy and feeling, and Daltrey showed his great voice.

A very good album and very recommended for listening, if some people in this Forum has not listened to it yet.

Edited by Guillermo
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
eddietrooper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 17:08

Tommy and Quadrophenia are two of the ten best rock albums of all time IMO.

But I don't think that Quadrophenia was their last good album. Who Are You (1978) is quite good.

Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 14:46
Originally posted by eddietrooper eddietrooper wrote:

But I don't think that Quadrophenia was their last good album. Who Are You (1978) is quite good.

I also saw the "Tommy" film, and I didn`t like it. Until I listened to "Quadrophenia", the album "Tommy" was their masterpiece. IMO, "Quadrophenia" is more related to "real persons`lives". In contrast, the Tommy character is more fantasy related, because he ends being like a "messiah" at the end of the story.

"Who Are You" is a very good album, but I prefer "Quadrophenia".

The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 18:36
Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

Originally posted by eddietrooper eddietrooper wrote:

"Who Are You" is a very good album, but I prefer "Quadrophenia".

Who are you is somewhat weak when you consider it's from the guys who made Quadrophenia, but t still holds up really well.

Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 20:19
Quadrophenia= The Greatest Album Ever Recorded.
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 12:25
The beginning of Quadrophenia is the end! When he crashes the scooter over the cliff the beginning of the film is him walking away from that! Anyway it is a brilliant film(ok minor mistakes)! I actually went up the alleyway where Jimmy was with Steph!
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 14:59

Originally posted by daz2112 daz2112 wrote:

The beginning of Quadrophenia is the end! When he crashes the scooter over the cliff the beginning of the film is him walking away from that! Anyway it is a brilliant film(ok minor mistakes)! I actually went up the alleyway where Jimmy was with Steph!

As I pointed out earlier in the thread..

I agree, it's an excellent film. I've always loved it. Was there any 'Mod' grafitti in the alleyway??

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 00:39
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by daz2112 daz2112 wrote:

As I pointed out earlier in the thread..

I agree, it's an excellent film. I've always loved it. Was there any 'Mod' grafitti in the alleyway??

Thanks. Now I understand better the booklet notes in the CD and the story in the film. I have a book called "The Who:Teenage Wasteland" written by Chris Welch (Castle Communications, 1995). He wrote about the "Quadrophenia" album:(Jimmy) "ends up in Brighton throwing himself and his scooter into the sea". It seems that Welch also was confused about the end of the story in "Quadrophenia"!

I also found in this website http://www.thewho.net/linernotes/Quad.htm an explanation, song by song, by Pete Townshend, of the story in "Quadrophenia":

First song of the album, on Disc One:

I Am The Sea (2'08)  Pete Townshend: "Our story is set on a rock in the middle of a stormy sea..." And where did the cat come from?

Last tracks of the album, in Disc Two:

The Rock (6'37) 
Pete Townshend: "It's getting in a boat, going out to sea and sitting on a rock waiting for the waves to knock him off that makes him review himself. He ends up with the sum total of frustrated toughness, romanticism, religion, daredevil - desperation, but a starting point for anybody."

Love Reign O'er Me (Pete's Theme) (5'48) 
Pete Townshend: "'Love Reign O'er Me' is similar to 'Drowned' in meaning. This refers to Meher Baba's one time comment that rain was a blessing from God; that thunder was God's Voice. It's another plea to drown, only this time in the rain. Jimmy goes through a suicide crisis. He surrenders to the inevitable, and you know, you know, when it's over and he goes back to town he'll be going through the same sh*t, being in the same terrible family situation and so on, but he's moved up a level. He's weak still, but there's a strength in that weakness. He's in danger of maturing."

Edited by Guillermo
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 12:56
Yes Blacksword,hundred's of graffitti sayings & apparently i've heard it's still there! I went in the early eighties. Jimmy s*****d Steph ere' etc.
   Sorry about repeating what you said
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 13:05
Simply amazing album, Love Reign O'er Me is what got me into The Who. I heard the song in the movie and was completely blone away when i went to buy the album.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
arnold stirrup View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2006 at 10:15
Quadrophenia was one of the great albums of my youth. The first concert I ever attended was The Who during the Quadrophenia tour in 1974. The concert turned me into a "Who freak" and left me exhilarated for months. I'll especially never forget Dr. Jimmy or The Punk Meets The Godfather encore. I wore out a couple vinyls to be sure.

Then after eventually shelving the album for many years, I saw the Who's performance of it in it's entirety in 1996, and it was "reborn". I went out and bought the remastered cd and I've never looked back. A masterpiece.
So much music. So little time.
 Post Reply Post Reply