Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    Posted: April 15 2006 at 18:13
I just had to make a thread for this album.  It is just so damn good.  The drums, the keyboards, the guitar, the vocals, the writing, it is all just so good.  My name is even after the character of the story, Rael.  I love the story, even though I don't understand all of it completely, but that mystery just seems to make it that much better.  Favorite song is The Lamia.  It is just a truly beautiful song, and I don't consider many songs beautiful.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 18:49
I agree. It is awesome, my favorite Genesis album. It is very different from there previous efforts, but nonetheless is a masterpiece.
FragileDT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 19:39
I love "The Lamb." It gets a lot of bad rep on this site but it is perfect IMO.
No filler.
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity
Losendos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 20:20

For me it is the most awesome album of all time.  I love the lyrics which seem to have new depths of meaning in each listening. I also love the way it seems to start as social commentary then drifts into esoterica before reaching the bizarre and absurd while never neglecting the humour ingredient. I love the way Gabriel goes through such a range of emotions and how it prophesises  the punk vs prog clash which is still about 3 years away. Makes me think Peter Gabriel is some sort of seer of the future. It has really well thought out opening and finish to both dics.

And of course the music is marvellous. This is a one of a kind sort of album.

How wonderful to be so profound
Zoso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 22:35
Listening to it right now. Truly a masterpeice. Songs like Fly On A Windshield, Hairless Heart, or The Chamber of 32 Doors just make me incredibly happy.
ThisWas View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 22:53
this is in my top 5 for favorite albums, and i think ive cracked what the lamb is about..

i think it is about purgatory...(the place inbetween life and death, its like the road to heaven or hell)

the first example of this is fly on a windshield, "im hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on a freeway" and flies get smushed when they get hit by a windshield

there are also a lot of biblical references in the album, The lamb, jesus was a shephard, he herded lamb. and the last song it peter sings "it is real, it IS RAEL" which is a play on words of raels, name, and the sacred country of jesus's birth.

rael has a brother john, john was one of the deciples.

rael has to choose between himself, or john. and he chooses john. like jesus did to save all of us from our sins, rather than himself.

there are more, but im lazy right now
andYouandI45 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 22:58

Hang on, how does the story go?
I love the album, but I don't exacatlly how the story goes.

Zoso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 23:14
http://www.rawbw.com/~marka/music/lamb.html

Check that site out.
andYouandI45 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 23:46

i just did. Intense.

Zoso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 23:55
Originally posted by andYouandI45 andYouandI45 wrote:

i just did. Intense.

Yeah man. That part about how they started their "evil jam" with all the lights out, at Headley Grange, and a thunderstorm rolled in...gave me the chills.
ken4musiq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 00:19

Originally posted by ThisWas ThisWas wrote:

this is in my top 5 for favorite albums, and i think ive cracked what the lamb is about..

i think it is about purgatory...(the place inbetween life and death, its like the road to heaven or hell)

the first example of this is fly on a windshield, "im hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on a freeway" and flies get smushed when they get hit by a windshield

there are also a lot of biblical references in the album, The lamb, jesus was a shephard, he herded lamb. and the last song it peter sings "it is real, it IS RAEL" which is a play on words of raels, name, and the sacred country of jesus's birth.

rael has a brother john, john was one of the deciples.

rael has to choose between himself, or john. and he chooses john. like jesus did to save all of us from our sins, rather than himself.

there are more, but im lazy right now

I like that 'Is Rael' bit; pretty inquisitive. I was not sure that The Lamb had a Christian message, but now you have enlightened me. I thought it was more a authenticity thing about being Real vs Rael. In any event I have been coming to see it more as a quest narrative and I think you have some good insights.  I've been listening to Snow by Spock's Beard, which also has a Christian message; the ending is a march, which comes out of Solsbury Hill. A lot of artists use that now. I think its a Scottish thing because Ian Anderson also used it alot. it's very Pilgrim's Progress with the pilgrim marching off to eternity.

I always thought that Solsbury Hill was about redemption; but then people said it was about PG leaving Genesis. That really ruined it for me. It's nice when others grant us insight into meaning but sometimes it can go wrong. Keep me posted on The Lamb.  I am interested in your pursuit to crack that egg and even if you insights are not validated by the artists, it does not mean they are not there.

Edited by ken4musiq
Nipsey88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2006 at 00:21
The Lamb...wow.

Its only my favorite album EVER!!

Just keeps getting better with age...

And to the chap who started the thread...The Lamia is one of my faves as well.

Chilling indeed.

EDIT: Wow, I always get new insight on this site. I never thought about the line it IS RAEL meaning the country, something new to think about...

Edited by Nipsey88

Post Reply Post Reply