Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbums that are so good that...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 09:09
Ahh yes, The First Day, by David Sylvian and Robert Fripp.
Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be or seem to be self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
time.
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 09:41

The first thing happened to me with Close to the Edge when I first bought it, but it turns out it has never grown old on me even though I broke my rule of only listening a couple of times a week or something geeky like that.

The second thing did happen to me a bunch of times though (I mean loosing interest in an album I thought was amazing at first). First it happened with Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory, then with Angra's Rebirth, then with In the Court of the Crimson King and a bunch of others. One funny thing that happened was that I lost interest in Brave by Marillion but then I regained interest in it and still love it.

...Histoires Sans Paroles...
jojim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 11:25
 I played "Go on" by MR MISTER until death. Then I stopped without knowing it from one day to another. Didn't listen to it for more than 10 years. And now I come back. It's very good. It's a classic.Smile

YES - Close to the edge / UK - UK / GENESIS - The lamb lies down / KING CRIMSON - Discipline / MIKE OLDFIELD - Tubular bells / JETHRO TULL - Aqualung / GENTLE GIANT - Three friends / TMO - IMF
Malice View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 11:37
Originally posted by Rust Rust wrote:

I have discovered alot more prog since I gave Animals a break, and I was very unimpressed with it when I came back to it after about a 6 month break. It just wasn't as sharp and fresh as I once remembered it.

I got the exact same thing with wish you were here from pink floyd...

its really boring to listen to it now ... though it was so amazing still a little while ago

gues i just listened to it to much

W.Chuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 11:50
I listen so often to Symphony X that I stop myself doing
it to listen to some other bands as well.

rupert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 13:22

When I grew up in the 70s I had a phase in which I nearly got mad listening to BJH, Supertramp, Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd ( yes, me... ) all the time and I needed some distance so I can develop my own style, so in the 80s I concentrated on anything else comin' along and making me feel good, I even bought albums because they had good reviews ( and some because they were chartbreakers and had quite interesting covers/titles ! ) and forced myself to NOT listen to "Prog" for a while. It worked... I developed my own style as a singer/songwriter and I don't copy anyone, but hey, what I'm doing IS NOT prog whilest since long I allowed myself to get back to anything I ever loved and listen to it as often as I like again...

I'm just thinkin'... is there REALLY an album I love but got enough of cause i played it too often ?

Well... there were times I didn't wanna hear any of Cat Stevens' familiar tunes but later on my love became even greater and I don't think that this example is what you asked for...( No prog ) but to let you know:

I DISLIKE "Dark Side of the Moon" and if there weren't "Money" on it i'd like to stamp it "Most overrated Prog-Album of all time"... but I never really liked it so that's something different, too ( SORRY to all PF-Fans... It's great to you, I know, please forgive me ! ).

In general it's just "phases" in which I've got enough of one album or artist I usually like, the longer the pause the greater the pleasure when it's over and I'm puttin' it on again !

...I'm a musician/singer/songwriter, visit me on www.reverbnation.com/rupertlenz and there you can choose from 125 recordings you can listen to ( for free ) if you're not limited to prog-rock !
_sam_ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 13:44

Signals and A Farewell To Kings by Rush;

Animals, Obscured by Clouds, and Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd;

I know there are others, but none have come to mind yet...

Albums I've lost interest in: Aqualung by Jethro Tull is the only one that comes to mind right now, but there are probably others.

Edited by _sam_
Negru Voda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 14:09
I have a few albums too which (I hope) I'll never get tired of:
Animals by Pink Floyd
Thick as a Brick and Minstrel in the Gallery by Jethro Tull
In the Court of the Crimson King and Lark's Tongues in Aspic by King Crimson

There are probably a few others, but these are my favorite bands.:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123