Topic ClosedJethro Tull live in Rome - 9th May, 2006

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jethro Tull live in Rome - 9th May, 2006
    Posted: May 11 2006 at 05:17
Now, I don't know what happened when I first posted this report - now it should come out right.
Anyway, it was the third time I'd seen JT in my life, and in spite of a few snags (more later) it was a satisfying experience indeed. Rome's gig was the second on a three-date Italian tour. Fortunately the band visit my country quite often, as they have a lot of fans there (including myself and our very own Andrea C.).

First of all, here's the setlist - I apologise in advance if I get the order of the songs wrong or forget anything, as I'm working from memory. I know I'll never make a good reporter!

Life Is A Long Song,
Skating Away...,
Living in the Past
Serenade to a Cuckoo
Beggar's Farm
Thick as a Brick
Moz'Art
My Sunday Feeling
Boris Dancing
Cheap Day Return/Mother Goose
Bourée (christmas album version)
Hymn 43
Murphy's Paw
Cross-Eyed Mary
A New Day Yesterday
Budapest
Aqualung
Locomotive Breath,
Protect And Survive (inst.)
Cheerio

The band was very tight, the musicianship excellent as usual. Moreover, they play with lots of energy and enthusiasm - it's quite evident they have fun when they perform, and they also get on with each other remarkably well. Ian Anderson is a born showman, a force of nature; both his flute and his acoustic guitar playing were outstanding, and his between-songs banter witty and uplifting. Pity his voice's not what it used to be. His peculiar singing style, his age and the problems he had a few years ago have taken their toll on what used to be one of the most distinctive voices in prog. As I heard some people say at the end of the gig, he should probably consider having one or two backing vocalists to support him - though I can't see it happening very soon.

As to the other negative aspects: first of all, the concert was a bit too short (under two hours), though the tickets were far from cheap. I've seen the setlist from the UK tour, and it was almost twice as long. No sexy violinist, either - I would've liked to see her, not in THAT sense (I still prefer men - now, give me Eddie Jobson on the "A" tour, and we'll talk about him *drool*), but because I was curious to hear the contribution of her playing to the band's sound. Then, the stage was too small, and the drums (though Doane Perry is an excellent player) sounded somewhat dry and tinny. The acoustics were not the best either, as the venue (in the middle of nowhere - I reached it after a nightmare journey through an unknown suburban area of Rome) is a vast, canvas-covered structure - not bad, but not ideal either.

All the musicians are very accomplished, but I should give a particular mention to Martin Barre, one of the great, unsung guitar heroes. His playing was so blistering that he got a resounding ovation from the audience at the end of the gig. I was surprised at how heavy he sounded throughout: his playing really gives the band's sound a hard edge that fits in very well with Anderson's folkier leanings. His solo spots (notably "Murphy's Paw" from one of his solo albums, and the marvellous "Aqualung") were easily one of the highlights of the show.

After almost 40 years, JT are still going strong and up there with the very best. I really hope to have the opportunity to see them for the fourth time in the near future - possibly with a new album under their belt!

Edited by Ghost Rider - May 11 2006 at 09:19
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 08:20

Dun Ringill and Flying Dutchman from Stormwatch!

Being the show in Italy I though they would have played also Griminelli's Lament.

Great tracks' selection and great performance, I presumeWink
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 08:35
You know what? Angry I don't know what happened, but what I wrote was not quite what you read.... I will have to edit the post and write everything all over again! B****y computers!
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 20:35
  I saw them 12 months ago in Brisbane (Aust.) without the violinist. Thankfully it was in a large auditorium with a wide stage and the acoustics were good. It's amazing the way he will vary his list. In this concert he also featured early material ,such as, 'With you there to help me' and 'Up to me'. They also did a couple of songs from the heavier 'Crest of a Knave' album, including 'Farm on the Freeway' where Martin shone. True , IA's voice is suffering from wear and tear but his charisma on stage helps get him through . To anyone who has the chance to see them live' don't look on them as 'has beens' .They're definitely worth the not inexpensive cost of admission.
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2006 at 06:34
Too much from the Aqualung album, IMO. Very similar tracklist of the previous concert of Mantua (16th July 2005).

I think it should be better if the band include more material from 1975-1979 period. In fact in this Rome's event there is no song of these years.

Maybe it depends on the fact of the recent release of Aqualung live. In Mantua JT played all the Aqualung repertoire + the rest of the songs you mentioned above.

What about Black Sunday live? I wish I can listen to it.

BTW, this morning, FINALLYYY, I've bought this:

London Symphony Orchestra / Anderson, Ian - A Classic Case: Music Of Jethro Tull CDTongue

Fly by Night is superb!!!!! I've listened to it some months ago as the soundtrack of a mount climbing expedition special TV.

Edited by Andrea Cortese - May 15 2006 at 04:53
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2006 at 06:11
In a recent interview (just before the Rome date), IA said he is working for a new album. At the question: a new JT's or a new solo album?

The answer: WHO KNOWS...

So let's hope this will happen very soon!

Big smile
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 12:54
21 numbers, and only 6 of them are instrumental ones. This means that he had to sing. To sing a lot. But you said he struggled while singing. Does this fact cause any damage to the listener's perception?

I'm asking this question also because of the fact I saw him recently, with orchestral show, and I would like to compare the shows. By the way, there's a review of that aforementioned recent show, at the page of live performances reviews, to which only one person reacted so far. It may sound like capricious child words, but I really wanted to share the impressions from the shows of the great master, and not because this review was written by my 'precious' self...
 Post Reply Post Reply