Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJimi Hendrix a freak?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jimi Hendrix a freak?
    Posted: May 22 2006 at 18:02
    JIMI HENDRIX a freak?
I thought that some of the threads were getting tedious, so I'm going to share with you lot my thoughts about Jimi Hendrix and Progarchives.

Was Jimi Hendrix one of a kind in that no-one has ever been able to achieve what he did, by incorporating a myriad of musical styles within one's style and really creating a new genre?

Strictly speaking, JH was amongst the first to incorporate technique, different styles of music and reaching for what is the ultimate musician's aim: being progressive.

Most prog classic bands can be imitated, to the point where it's easy to mistake, musically speaking, one band for another. But not with Jimi Hendrix: instantly recognisable in every single note. My point is: how come artists like Robin Trower, Frank Marino,etc, who are by their own admission directly influenced by JH, get mentioned as 'prog' but not Hendrix?

Really, he should be somewhere on PG. He was the original prog artist.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Minkia - May 22 2006 at 18:03
RELIGION IS HATE, RELIGION IS FEAR, RELIGION IS WAR,RELIGION IS RAPE, RELIGION'S OBSCENE,RELIGION'S A WHORE
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 18:17

i agree jimi was an extremely progressive artist, when i first heard "are you experienced" and "axis" i was blown away, never heard anything like it. i think he possibly could be included  in proto prog at a pinch, but would fit much more comfortably in a new sub genre called BLUES PROG if it ever got considered by PA's hierarchy. well....yea or nay???Confused 

Prog Archives Tour Van
Minkia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 18:22
I think you'd be restrictive to call it prog blues. The jury's still out on that one!

But he's definitely proto-prog.    
RELIGION IS HATE, RELIGION IS FEAR, RELIGION IS WAR,RELIGION IS RAPE, RELIGION'S OBSCENE,RELIGION'S A WHORE
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 18:26

I am a Jimi Hendrix fan and have read many books about him. The thing that struck me mostly was that after the tragical and very emotional death of his mother (an alcoholic) when Jimi was 12 years old, he started to sublimate his feelings by learning even more fanatical guitar and expressing himself on that hat guitar. He even went to the toilet with his guitar and was very eager to imitate every sound on his guitar. His has very big hands (more things were big..Wink ) and used a very special technique by using his thumb as a kind of bass line while playing with his other fingers. For me he is one of the most creative guitar players ever, I wish we could have witnessed Jimi playing with ELP, Keith Emerson was a good friend of Jimi.

Zoso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 19:37
You make a very valid point. Interesting.
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 09:54
I see no reason why the Beatles should be in Proto-Prog and not Hendrix. 
Pure Brilliance:
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 10:01
I´m not really a big fan of Hendrix but I realize how he revolutionized guitar playing, IMO thats pretty damn progressive.
At least Proto Prog definitely.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 11:04
If you're going to consider Al Dimeola as prog then Jimi would have to be included in some category.  Just listen to "Third Stone from the Sun" and I rest my case.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 12:29
I agree as well.  But I recommend: 1983... A Merman I Shall Turn To Be.

I've also heard some of his jamming with B.B. King, Al Kooper, Paul Butterfield, Elvin Bishop and others and it's borderline jazz/fusion.  Listen to the 1968 instrumental live version of little Wing and you'll be surprised.

I believe he should definitely be here, but I am not sure under which category/genre.
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 13:00
He reinvented the guitar, and it's the best guitarist ever, but his music IMO is Prog Related, not "prog", if you understand what I mean.
 Post Reply Post Reply