Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOriginal or copied?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 00:40
The originals of course. The music business is one tough road to travel. The artists source of income comes from album sales. Remember that. No money, no prog.

I do love the ability to put mixed prog discs together and that to me is the real bonus of burning discs.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 03:15
I paid my dues to the music industry (bought around 7000 records , roughly half new, the other half used) and got rid of many records I did not like in order to finance new acquisitions (and save shelf spaceWink) .

With such a consistant buying effort, I think I am entitled to a burned Cd once in a while (legal in Belgium as long as private use and you owned the original record), and those I do burn are compilation of a few album's selected tracks >> I would not be buying those albums , anyway >> so I do not feel I rip-off the artistes. anyway I treat my burned Cd-r as I did with my cassettes back in the 80's.

and if I had to be making a full album copy/burn , than I'd rather be buying the original album, anyway
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 15:32
Copied. 

A CD, whether it is bought or burned, runs at 1441kbps, and sounds fantastic.  I know people say that songs "lose" quality when they are copied, but its is said that copying does not affect the sound of an album.  Plus, its better sound quality than the origibal albums that were on vinyl (Moody Blues, Genesis, ect...) 

I thought it goes without saying that people who burn albums buy blank jewel cases and print out the cover art themselves, apparently not. 
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 15:34
Originally posted by Sacred 22 Sacred 22 wrote:

The originals of course. The music business is one tough road to travel. The artists source of income comes from album sales. Remember that. No money, no prog.

I do love the ability to put mixed prog discs together and that to me is the real bonus of burning discs.

I believe that is incorrect

My friend works for a record company The artists makes money by doing tours and shows, and as for record sales, the bands makes a small fraction, of that profit. 
Sacred 22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 21:07
Originally posted by Asyte2c00 Asyte2c00 wrote:

Originally posted by Sacred 22 Sacred 22 wrote:

I believe that is incorrect

My friend works for a record company The artists makes money by doing tours and shows, and as for record sales, the bands makes a small fraction, of that profit. 

Artists get royalties from album sales and a portion of the profits if any from touring. It all depends on the contract that was negociated etc etc. It varies from band to band and record companies.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 21:52
    I will admit that I have gotten a lot of music through file sharing, but I realized that it wasn't sound on a Karmic level. I have since been replacing it by legal means. I don't think it is so bad to burn things for preview purposes. I have a friend that is into prog, but he is a lot younger than I. He burns newer music for me, and I have introduced him to the classics. We go out and buy the ones we like. I also still use file sharing for things I have no clue about. It helps with things that are hard to find. If I like it, and I can't find it in a store, it will be on the web somewhere. I am expecting my copy of "Storia di un Minuto" any day now.
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2006 at 17:52
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

I feel exactly the same way.

1- I feel bad when I illegally copy a disc so I just don't do it.

2- I just don't feel the same when I listen to a CD that I don't really have. The whole experience is gone...The booklet is also really important.

3- You just don't feel the same way when you show your album collection to a friend if it's all composed of burned CDs. With a lot of albums comes the pride of collecting them.

That's IMO of course Tongue
I absolutely agree, and I'm glad to see most people here are of the same opinion.
Rosescar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 06:23
It's hard for me to get good songs with file sharing anyway.

I have max. 10 fileshared songs in my iTunes list. And another 10 from this site when you could still download songs.

I try to get the albums of those downloaded songs. I never burn CD's and I always use self-bought CD's.kthxbai
My music!

"THE AUDIENCE WERE generally drugged. (In Holland, always)." - Robert Fripp
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 07:57
Originally posted by Rosescar Rosescar wrote:

It's hard for me to get good songs with file sharing anyway.

I have max. 10 fileshared songs in my iTunes list. And another 10 from this site when you could still download songs.

I try to get the albums of those downloaded songs. I never burn CD's and I always use self-bought CD's.kthxbai

20 years ago the music industry was issuing dire predictions that 'home taping is killing music' - which of course it did, and we can see the smouldering remains of companies like Geffen and Sony around us today Wink.

I often exchange copied CDs with fellow fans of obscure music and if I like what I hear I'll buy the original (if it's available). With lesser known bands, particularly those not signed to major labels, there may be no other way of checking their music out. I am also quite scrupulous about buying from the source where possible, preferably at a gig, because that way the artist will definitely get some money.

Buying CDs in regular outlets doesn't guarantee any income for the artist, btw - if you buy a Gong release on the Charly label the musicians receiver nothing unless you buy direct from the Gong Appreciation Society, and that's by no means a unique example.

'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2006 at 15:10
I don't copy any CDs or get them copied. I do download rather a lot, mostly stuff that isn't available to buy (I don't mean out of print, I mean unreleased), but some illegally. The illegal stuff I'm slowly buying despite eating myself into student debt, and once I have money I'll spend as much as I don't spend on living and musical equipment on CDs, so I don't feel too bad about it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123