Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAMBROSIA.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMBROSIA.
    Posted: June 16 2006 at 22:39

Does anyone out there in the prog world think that the first two AMBROSIA albums.
AMBROSIA and SOMEWHERE I'VE NEVER TRAVELLED, deserve to be included in a serious
comparison of the 'HEAVYWEIGHTS' of the style?
      I think those two albums are excellant. They both have their share of commercial tracks,
but mostly there are many highly sophisticated songs, such as "MAMA FROG', 'NICE NICE VERY
NICE', and 'THE BRUNDT'.
     Just was wondering what your opinions might be.
Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 00:27
I don't own it but I've heard plenty of the first album. Certainly some prog gems there, possibly even jewels. I've seen a few threads about them and while generaly positive there just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest. I don't knwo why. They are on my monstrous wish list. Welcome to the forums btw.
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 00:53
Heavyweights? No. Ambrosia is pop with proggy tendencies- even at their best. Their first album was okay, but after that- it went all downhill. Overrated, imo.

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 03:06
Having shared a stage with them in 1975 with a band who never made it  I would say they had prog moments and were fantastic musicians.  They also were an American band under the pressure to make music the record company wanted. Whatever you can glean from that then take. Smile

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 07:40
Ambrosia's first two albums are well produced (Alan Parsons) and have a few prog tracks (not more than two per album), but for the rest of the tracks were relatively radio-friendly FM rock making them albums AOR .

Ambrosia is not really anymore prog than Queen or Styx, really

Later on they grew in MOR and finally into DOAWink
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
jcleary View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 12:16
The debut album by Ambrosia is a sparkling gem! It contains 5 classic
Prog rock songs and each one is unique and original. Alan Parsons, who
mixed the album, was blown away when he heard the premixed songs.
He couldn't believe this was an American group. The song writing, musicianship, vocals, and recording are brilliant. It was nominated for a
grammy as best recorded album of 1975. This album is on my list of the
ten best progressive rock albums of all time. The songs "Nice Nice Very
Nice", "Time Waits For No One, "Make Us All Aware", "Mama Frog", and
"Drink Of Water" are all great original classic Prog songs! The incredible
recorded pipe organ in the song "Drink Of Water" will have the hair on the
back of your neck standing on in. Just brilliant! If you listen to this CD gunned through good headphones you will be completely warped! This album stands on it own as one of the best debut albums of all time.
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2006 at 12:53
I agree with the above I hav'nt heard any of their later stuff but i have the 1st album which is brilliant!
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole
philhepple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 13:25
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Ambrosia's first two albums are well produced (Alan Parsons) and have a few prog tracks (not more than two per album), but for the rest of the tracks were relatively radio-friendly FM rock making them albums AOR .

Not more than TWO! Are you out of your mind? Let see on the first Ambrosia CD. The Prog songs are "Nice Nice Very Nice", "Time Waits For No One", "Make Us All Aware", "Mama Frog", and "Drink Of Water" Hey that's five and they are all Classic Prog! One of the best debut CD ever!

gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 14:29
Sure,after the 2 first albums they turned pop(ish).But there is good pop and there is bad.
I don't only listen to prog, and I do have all Ambrosias on cd and they are all great in their own way.
XTChuck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2006 at 14:39
Actually, their pop oriented songs weren't all that bad.  "Can't Let A Woman" on their 2nd album is one of my all time favorites.

Clap
SlipperFink View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2006 at 23:48
The first record was a monster.

Monster.

End of story.

SM.
Greg W View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 17:36
Originally posted by SlipperFink SlipperFink wrote:

The first record was a monster.

Monster.

End of story.

SM.

Ditto. f**king brilliant lp.
macpurity1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2006 at 22:32
In June of 1975, the classic AOR FM station in Los Angeles, KWST, gave Ambrosia's debut a lot of airplay. I bought the LP on July 15th of that year and practically wore it out. The Band wrestled to get it released on CD and, as others have written here, it is truly an American mile post in progressive music, for it's day. David Pack's vocals are among the smoothest you'll ever hear.

I also like their sophomore release, Somewhere I've Never Traveled, which came out in 1976. I bought the vinyl LP on Sept 11, 1976. It had pop-up art work that folded into a pyramid. I consider this release largely progressive, again using the definition of the day, even though the track "Can't Let a Woman" broke into the pop charts. At this time, very few other bands were exploring the musical textures that Ambrosia was in those ten tracks (maybe 10 CC), and their music was refined, smooth, professionally produced and recorded.

My favorite tracks from this release include the opening three tracks: And..., Somewhere I've Never Travelled and Cowboy Star. Cowboy Star includes an interesting symphonic piece (beginning at about 3:10) that has a distinct big, western, Aaron Copeland feel - the thing about that three minutes of music is the engineering, which is beyond stellar, as is the pipe organ crescendo.

The track "The Brunt" takes some work to get familiar with or used to. The xylophone and percussive lyrics harken a tinge of Supertramp, but again lushness prevails in places, along with a center section that is remiscent of "Frank Zappa meets Leonard Bernstein." An African chant comes out of nowhere and builds to tribal drum, a stampede and then winds up in a mix-up in the fun house! What a trip! This is mid-70's progressive in an advanced form, maybe not everyone hears it that way.

Finally the track "Danse with me George" is brilliant. North's keyboards stretch from classical to honky tonk. Drummond's percussion hangs in all the way through with incredible variations throught. The sax solo in The Danse is a stitch, followed by latino rhythms - no one would ever have thunked it except the boys of Ambrosia. There follows a bit of music that again has Bernstein "West Side Story" themes, and then moves onward into an ambrosiatic layering of female voices that reach upward to heaven. Just fantastic.

Progressive? You bet!  - MacP

Edited by macpurity1 - September 08 2006 at 22:36
MacP
900+ CDs and counting.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 16:48
If Ambrosia tracks are monstruous, then Art Bears tracks are Cutulhu, at least.
ĦBeware of the Bee!

Post Reply Post Reply