Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBetter game?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which is the better of these two games?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [66.67%]
1 [33.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better game?
    Posted: June 30 2006 at 15:52
Personally, I prefer Morrowind. There was a bit too much hype around Oblivion... the graphics are great, new physics thing is very cool... spell effects and stuff looked way cooler...etc. Fun game and easier to get into but it seems like they lost a lot of depth. Morrowind had a way, WAY cooler main quest, and, even though the NPCs were boring and a lot of the mini quests totally sucked, the game is a total classic because of its awesome background info (like all the books in the game and the history behind races, houses, etc.). The Dwemer were my favourite... I loved collecting Dwemer stuff and other cool artifacts, which is something that Oblivion lacked.

In Morrowind you could go around looking for artifacts and junk, usually you would have to use a guide on the internet to find the majority of them because their locations were so remote or distanced from the areas that quests took you to. You could find an awesome sword or some other expensive item and be set for the whole game... and it would make playing MORE fun, somehow (like by collecting all the best artifacts and having an awesome suit of armour... and its all glowing and stupid with enchantments... and you have a dumb 'shield' bubble around you from your 'Ebony Cuirass' which you got from beating all the Temple missions.... .. . .. .

Jesus, that game is so boss.

Unfortunately, you cant play Morrowind forever (I guess with mods you can) because eventually you get too much good gear and a high level and its just not fun anymore cause you can basically kill anyone and everything. Eg. Two of my Morrowind characters (I have many) are very high in level (one was around 150 last time I checked, the other is 162) and I cant ... DO anything... anymore... theres no quests left, no powerful people to kill... nothing :(

It was fun while it lasted... Oblivion is a great game too... but I just wont remember it as the classic that Morrowind was...

Morrowind is definitely in my top 3 ... the other two probably being Fallout 2 and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Maybe it was harder to get into Oblivion because it was so WRETCHEDLY SLOW on my computer... I certainly would have gotten the 360 version if I had a damn 360.

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 17:20
Morrowind hands down.

Good                                            Bad

Oblivion:    Graphics, Entertaining Quests              Dungeons/Caverns mostly very
                  with excellent storylines                similar, weapon/armor scaling made
                  had little "heart" as I think               questing pointless after so long
                      Morrowind does

Morrowind had excellent atmosphere and had great feeling, while Oblivion felt cold.                                                    
Pneubauer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 18:28
^ indeed.

I forgot to mention how, although there are a bunch of artifacts in Oblivion, none of them are nearly as good as Morrowind's artifacts... and some of the ones that actually were pretty good, you didnt even get to keep (Like the Necromancer's Amulet!)

The quest rewards were EXTREMELY lame too, I find this mostly for the mini quests etc. My favourite example I love telling everyone is the 'forlorn watchman' or whatever its called. In the quest you have to find this guys spirit, follow him somewhere, talk to him. He tells you to go to this crashed ship and let his body free or something. So you go to the ship and fight of a bunch of monsters (for me it was very difficult, there were a bunch of Shades or... Wraiths... or whatever) and almost die... you let his soul go free... then he tells you to go seek your reward in this underwater chest... I get there, and the reward is so minimal its absurd... a small amount of money, some potions I think, and a few pearls or something. Now, if you havent played the game, you wont know what I mean but this will put it into perspective... on the way to the chest, after killing ONE bandit, near the location of the chest,... just a random enemy npc in the area, I loot his corpse and a SINGLE item... the cheapest item he had, I believe it was a glove or arm piece or whatever, was worth over twice as much as the contents of that chest... In Morrowind... well I cant even begin to explain the amounts of loot you would get on a quest like that.

Ahg! I just love that game so much. It makes me sad that Ive beaten it. Morrowind... so beautiful... the stories... Sotha Sil's clockwork city... the Imperfects, Dagoth Ur and Red Mountain... those awesome Telvanni cities, Vivec... the city... and the god... and 'The Moon' the big floating meteor with a prison inside it...

Oh! and yet another gripe (a big one)... the lack of a 'levitation' or 'jump' spell in Oblivion. Those spells added SO much coolness to Morrowind. I love how some Telvanni buildings would not have stairs to other floors so you would have to have a levitation spell or potion... to prevent non-magic-type people from entering... etc.

Cry Sniff... good times... Cry

oh the countless hours down the drain... must... list more cool things...

Chrysamere
Skull Crusher
Daedric Crescent
oh! Hlaalu Helseth's ring! that thing was crazy!
uhhh.... Elidon's Ward (that white shield)?
Ebony Mail

bah... okay Im done. I just had to... reminisce.

I just love it so much Ouch

Has anyone else played/loved Fallout 2 as well? I tried to borrow F1 from my friend but I think he lost it ... :(
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 20:48
Oblivion takes so much time!! I have only played 5 hours or so, and I think I've opened up 15 quests alreadyConfused

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2006 at 21:51
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Morrowind hands down.

Good                                            Bad

Oblivion:    Graphics, Entertaining Quests              Dungeons/Caverns mostly very
                  with excellent storylines                similar, weapon/armor scaling made
                  had little "heart" as I think               questing pointless after so long
                      Morrowind does

Morrowind had excellent atmosphere and had great feeling, while Oblivion felt cold.                                                    

Oops, the blue part should be uner "Bad."
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2006 at 03:51

i don't do many games these days but i used to like the "Myst" Trilogy very much, interesting worlds to explore! i also liked "Red Ace Squadron" and "Master of the skies the Red Ace",  the "Need for Speed" car racing series, "Amored Fist" and "Airfix Dogfighter", not very intellectual i know but great fun!!! Thumbs Up

Prog Archives Tour Van
 Post Reply Post Reply