Topic ClosedSabbath Bloody Sabbath the first prog met

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 04:46
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

I think both Sea Shanties and 2122 are prog metal from different times than now. Its complex, heavy, metal, plenty of riffs and prog. They have a natural place in the history of progmetal. One shouldn't listen to modern prog and try and apply its set of rules too the older albums. We can't dismiss the harder bands of the 70's as not being metal, because they don't sound like newer metal.

The 70s Classic Metal bands are much more similar to the other Rock bands of that time, than to modern (1980+) Metal bands.

That's worse than old proggers dismissing your Progmetal as not being prog. The metal term itself is from the 70's. So if young people can't relate to heavy 70's music as metal, because the newer stuff is so much harder, find a new name for this new music instead. Metallica and Slayer changed metal so much it became Thrash Metal and not 70's heavy metal anymore.

Of course it can be called Metal, but not Prog Metal. You argue on the basis of "They called it Metal back then, so it must be called Metal today", but I doubt that there is even a single newspaper/music magazine article from back then which described SBS as a progressive Metal album. So if nobody did that back then, why "force" it today?

pop from 60's and 80's is not very alike but both are still pop, from different ages. Its part of the same history. 

When talking about music you can be more generic or more specific ... but not both at the same time. Prog Metal started in the 80s, with a couple of bands which all shared some common elements - on SBS these elements are not present. By calling that album Prog Metal you simply re-define the genre, and that's something you are telling us not to regarding the genre of "Metal" in general.
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 01:15
Sea Shanties-High Tide, perhaps the first prog metal album, released in 1969. 
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 02:27
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by con safo con safo wrote:

HIGH TIDE - Sea Shanties

ok, let's settle this once and for all: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26350&PID=2089479#2089479Wink

^ did you notice the poll?TongueWink
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 02:30
I agree with you.
Also, parts of "Sabotage" is prog related. And "Never Say Die" is to me pure prog rock.
coffeeintheface View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 03:04
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

^^ I agree, its my favorite Sabbath album and has prog tendencies but it's far from being prog-metal. You can teach a Sabbath song to a beginner in a few mins. Far too simplistic to be prog metal.

Tool's not exactly the most technical band, and they're very progressive. Tons of Tool songs are easy to play (Schism, for example). I'm not sure "technical" has as much to do with "progressive" as some people think.

Edited by coffeeintheface - July 25 2006 at 03:05
OBQM: www.soundcloud.com/onebigquestionmark (solo project)
nQuixote: www.soundcloud.com/n-quixote (ambient + various musical ideas)
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 13:46

^^

I was a little vague with my phrasing there. I was pointing out how they lacked technical ability, and then with that last bit was saying they're too compositionally simple to be prog-metal.

Bits of Tool are easy to play, but their compositions are anything but simple.

"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
coffeeintheface View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2006 at 01:03
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

^^

I was a little vague with my phrasing there. I was pointing out how they lacked technical ability, and then with that last bit was saying they're too compositionally simple to be prog-metal.

Bits of Tool are easy to play, but their compositions are anything but simple.

Agreed on the "too compositionally simple" part about Black Sabbath. When I say Tool is easy to play, I'm saying in comparison to someone like Dream Theater. Compare playing the middle section of "In the Name of God" to playing the drop-d based riffs of "Schism". But of course Tool's compositions are complex.
OBQM: www.soundcloud.com/onebigquestionmark (solo project)
nQuixote: www.soundcloud.com/n-quixote (ambient + various musical ideas)
acheron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 14:31
ive said this several times before, and got ridiculed, but to me Sabbath is prog, or at least proto-prog

1.  Sabbath albums almost always carry the same theme throughout

2.  sabbath albums always contain one or two instrumental songs

3.  several sabbath songs have intro's that paint a vivd, creepy picture (ex. the intro to Black Sabbath, with the thunderstorm and church bells)

4.  Sabbath were innovators, nobody sounded like them before or after

5.  Iommi was one of the first to blend classical fingerpicking guitar pieces with the heavy music, and he used diminished, spanish, gypsy and middle-eastern scales (because of his influence from Django Reinhardt)

Sabbath is at the very least proto-prog

Minimalist777 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2006 at 21:00
At least in regards to 4. you should check out pretty much every traditional or stoner doom band ever. Pentadram/Bedemon/Death Row, Penance, Trouble, Saint Vitus, Sleep etc.
WWOSD?
What Would OliverStoned Do?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 01:37
Originally posted by acheron acheron wrote:

ive said this several times before, and got ridiculed, but to me Sabbath is prog, or at least proto-prog

1.  Sabbath albums almost always carry the same theme throughout

2.  sabbath albums always contain one or two instrumental songs

3.  several sabbath songs have intro's that paint a vivd, creepy picture (ex. the intro to Black Sabbath, with the thunderstorm and church bells)

4.  Sabbath were innovators, nobody sounded like them before or after

5.  Iommi was one of the first to blend classical fingerpicking guitar pieces with the heavy music, and he used diminished, spanish, gypsy and middle-eastern scales (because of his influence from Django Reinhardt)

Sabbath is at the very least proto-prog

none of these attributes are a criterium for prog IMO.Embarrassed
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 01:59
^^

Well number four certainly helps to make a band prog, but not necessary or sufficient.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
acheron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 14:27
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

are a criterium for prog IMO.Embarrassed

dude thats retarded, ongoing themes throughout albums is prog., that should be the only criteria if you ask me, thats why its called progressive... progress...

prog doesn't need 11/16 time signatures, 25 minutes songs, or multi-part songs (i. ii. iii. iv. v.), don't get me wrong I love music like that as well, but at its heart the only thing that makes an album a progressive effort is if there is 1 lyrical theme running throughout.  If you argue against this then your saying "Dark Side of the Moon" isn't a progressive album because it doesn't have 20 minute epic songs with weird time signatures (except 'money') and multi-part compositions.

so there

Edited by acheron - August 02 2006 at 02:25
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123