Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI didn't know prog was still alive!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I didn't know prog was still alive!
    Posted: July 23 2006 at 08:55
I grew up listening to Yes, Rush, Kansas, ELP, King Crimson, Pink Floyd and Marillion during the 80's. Great stuff, no doubt, and as much different music as I have explored in the past 20 years, I could always come back to those old progressive rock albums and hear something new and continue to enjoy it.

What I didn't know is that there was a whole world of progressive rock outside of those artists, and how much great, new music has been created since the mid-80's when it seems like most music simply turned to crap.

Just a few weeks ago I was listening to some internet radio and an epic Flower Kings track came on. I wasn't listening very closely but I suddenly thought to myself "these guys are channeling Yes!" From there on I discovered a whole host of artists from Gentle Giant to Spock's Beard to Eloy to Camel to Porcupine Tree and on and on and on!!!

Now I find there's a whole site devoted to the genre with insightful reviews and ratings to help me explore even further!

I just wanted to say I'm excited to have re-discovered prog rock and this site. Cheers to all of you who understand that a 20+ minute song can be an amazing experience. It's great to know that there are others who understand that great music you will enjoy the rest of your life often takes some work listening to before it really sinks in.

-Mike...
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 08:57
Welcome home. Smile
imoeng View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 09:00
Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Welcome home. Smile

I'm actually crying now... CryCry (tears of joy)

Welcome!!

Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 09:08
That's what is so great with the internet and sites like this, even someone who has been a fan of progressive rock all his life will find his "musical journey" taking twists and turns beyond what he ever thought possible. Internet is such a catalyst..
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 09:20
Prog isnt dead.

EvilGnome View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 09:22
It is great. The Internet has led me to my career, my wife and my favorite music. I don't think most people realize how much of an impact the Internet will eventually have on humanity.

-Mike...
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 09:34
Actually, that thought could be kind of scary, don't you think?
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 09:37

What are you r other favorite bands/ genres..

prog and non prog?Thumbs Up

The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 09:37
Prog is alive and living well!
EvilGnome View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 09:40

Originally posted by Evans Evans wrote:

Actually, that thought could be kind of scary, don't you think?

Nah... In general, revolutionary inventions like the printing press, radio and television have done more good than harm in the long run.

-Mike...
EvilGnome View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 09:57

Originally posted by Majestic_Mayhem Majestic_Mayhem wrote:

What are you r other favorite bands/ genres..

prog and non prog?

My most recent venture was into Jazz (the good, old hard bop stuff was best - Cannonball Adderley and Art Blakey being among my favorites), but it tends to get too noodly and I like more structure and composition. Too much improvisation was starting to get old and too same-sounding.

The Beatles will always be in my top 5 favorite and I will always like Klaatu (especially "Hope") and Allan Holdworth. Out of the more mainstream stuff, I enjoy Jellyfish, Steely Dan, Boston, Fiona Apple, Michelle Branch, Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse, Ben Folds (Five), All-American Rejects and even spin some Abba or Christina Aguilera from time to time (it's like mental chewing gum). I sometimes with prog was a little less male-centric because female voices are beautiful, too.

The other big "genre" I will always dig is the "guitar gods" like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Steve Morse. I played a little guitar when I was younger and I'm still passionate about the instrument even though I don't play anymore.

-Mike...
Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 12:31
Welcome!

To paraphrase the late, great Frank Zappa...

Prog isn't dead, it just smells funny. Wink
Pure Brilliance:
Dalezilla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 12:35
Welcome!! Hug
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 08:54
Welcome! I too thought prog was ...well, asleep ...not only has PA helped re-kindle my interest in the prog "greats" but I've taken an interest in some of the new prog music around now. 
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 09:10
Welcome to the club. It's great in here.

Originally posted by EvilGnome EvilGnome wrote:

The Internet has led me to my career, my wife and my favorite music. 

Could you explain a bit more? Embarrassed

I don't think most people realize how much of an impact the Internet will eventually have on humanity.

You're right there. It really has the power to change your life. Hopefully for the better!
EvilGnome View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 17:27

Originally posted by Bob Greece Bob Greece wrote:

Could you explain a bit more?

When I graduated from high school, I was determined to become an electrical engineer and wanted to design effects processors for guitars (I was really a guitar nut but and obsessed with tone more than learning to play).

While I was in school, I bought a computer to do my homework (and play games, of course) and dialed in to the Internet. I got hooked on the Internet and computers in general and switched careers to working in IT and haven't regretted it a single day.

The Internet is also how I met my wife. I became the organizer for an Atheists Meetup group (check out Meetup.com if you haven't seen it. They have tons of special interest groups from labradors to politics to religion to whatever). A little over a year ago she signed up for the group, came to one of the Meetups and we've been inseparable since.

The Internet is also where I have been able to discover the most music. Whether it was the old Napster, Newsgroups or LAUNCHCast, I've been able to explore genres and artists I would never have been introduced to by radio, MTV or friends.

-Mike...

Edited by EvilGnome - July 24 2006 at 17:28
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 04:08
I don't often read the Welcome Newbies section but your title got me interested.

While I was in school, I bought a computer to do my homework (and play games, of course) and dialed in to the Internet. I got hooked on the Internet and computers in general and switched careers to working in IT and haven't regretted it a single day.

I've worked on computers all my life as well. I got a Commodore 64 in 1983 and programmed my own Basic games. I studied Computers at university and have worked with them ever since.

The Internet is also how I met my wife. I became the organizer for an Atheists Meetup group (check out Meetup.com if you haven't seen it. They have tons of special interest groups from labradors to politics to religion to whatever). A little over a year ago she signed up for the group, came to one of the Meetups and we've been inseparable since.

Atheists Meetup group? I thought only religions did meetups. It's funny that the Atheists meet up to discuss religion.

The Internet is also where I have been able to discover the most music. Whether it was the old Napster, Newsgroups or LAUNCHCast, I've been able to explore genres and artists I would never have been introduced to by radio, MTV or friends.

I have found out a lot about music from the Internet as well. Two years ago, I didn't know what CDs to buy. Now I can't stop. I look at progarchives firstly but I also read about music at www.drpr.net as well as Amazon and Wikipedia.
 Post Reply Post Reply