Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVDGG - The Last Tickets For Festival Hall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 10:25

Erm..I'm no expert on genesis but the only proper release (from that time) is the Genesis Live LP which - being only a single LP - doesn't really do them justice. There is a box set with lots of live material on it including the full live version of the Lamb - there are some great BOOTS goin about though - Montreal 74, Rainbow Theater 73'.

I must say though it is quite surprsing to hear your opinions on Genesis as I see so many similarities in the early years between the bands. Although PFM could out-play Genesis blindfold I think there is a certain debt to their music in PFM's style. Particularly, the mellow, arrpegio type things, on twelve strings, mellotron, and hammond. Genesis were massive in Italy before they were here in the UK! I think Nursery chryme was a NO 1 LP. I think Genesis along with VDGG, Yes, ELP, and Crimson were the most important bands to the burgeoning Italian prog scene - mixed in with the Italian's love of the classical and operatic - makes for some of the most enduring prog ever, Banco's Darwin, ARea's Crac, Celeste's Celeste, PFM's Per un Amico and so on. Have you heard off Celeste Ninian? - I'm sure you would have - they're very like the early, mellow PFM-sound. I do think the early Genesis LPs'a re ruined by inferior production, esp. trespass, and some of Nursery Chryme.

Peter Gabriel has just toured the UK - did anyone go to this?

As to ELP I'm not a massive fan really - the first 3 or 4 LP's are really worthwhile but the mid-70s stuff is just too pompous for me. My mate has a saying that he likes to repeat during prog discussions: "You listen to Works by ELP and you begin to understand why Punk happened."

Edited by mandrake
Wrath_of_Ninian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 15:12

NO question that Genesis were an huge influence on the Italian scene, and in particular PFM, and I'm sure they'd be the first to admit it.  But you are right to highlight the stylistic influence over the musical influence, as I think that was where the crossover was most apparent - I certainly dont get the same feelings listening to early Genesis as I do listening to PFM, and until recently, I found albums such as Foxtrot and Nursery Crime rather tedious and dare I say it, boring. Perhaps it is down to production - certainly those albums suffer from a lack of dynamics: not enough contrast between light/dark; loud/quiet; melancholy/angry.   Uninspired production along with bad mixing are often to blame, rather than poor composition.  Maybe further listenings will alter this view, as it has done with The Lamb Lies Down.

I know what you mean about ELP too, and I stopped sequentially buying their albums after Brain Salad Surgery, knowing full well the horror that lay in store!  That said, I actually do like Keith's Piano Concerto on Works, and genuinely believe he was the only real talent in the band - something else I've come into conflict with Prog Archive people about.  I'm hoping that I'm safe on a VDGG ticket thread, but no doubt someone will weigh in Greg's defence!! 

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 19:08
I believe the VDGG's new LP is scheduled for a March release - Ninian, looking forwad to that immensely - that and the Mars Volta's new LP - in as many months  - prog old - and new!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12