FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedColdplay, A Progger's Perspective

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coldplay, A Progger's Perspective
    Posted: July 28 2006 at 23:03

As I listen to Coldplay's albums, I believe Parachutes is their most original release to date.  A Rush of Blood to the Head  is a solid album as well, and X and Y is more of the same.  I read on their wikipedia page that their next album is going to faster, heavier and sans piano. 

I think this is good move for them, they must do something new, reinvigorating, enthralling.  Much like the Mars Volta are valiantly attemping to do on Amputechture. perhaps, a better example would be Mandylion, Nigttime Birds Era, How to Measure a Planet (transistion album), and If Then Else, Souvenirs, and Home (prsent day Gathering with more ethereal ambient nuances included within their inspiring music).  I belive X & Y is the final sentence in a nascent story that can only become more captivating in time, hopefully this assertion is correct.  So if Coldplay's Discography unfolds similalrly to The Gathering's discography, their new album will be a mediocre release showing a talented rock outfit in creative flux ambivalent as to what musical terrain to explore.  . 

Insight?

Edited by Asyte2c00 - July 28 2006 at 23:06
Logos View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 08:30
I don't see a reason to analyze their future releases at the moment.

So far they've released three good pop albums, pleasant music to listen to every now and then. That's it.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 11:50
I though X&Y was ordinary to say the least after the brilliance of the previous 2 (particularly A Rush of Blood). They need to come up with something a bit better next time.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 13:25
I have heard half a song by them, and it was decent. I notice many proggers like them to some extent. They appear pretty boring to me, but I'm going to check them out, so that I can make a statement.
floydisgod View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 16:02
God I hate them.  If you like boring, repetitive, unoriginal, meaningless music, you won't be dissapointed though.

Edited by floydisgod - July 31 2006 at 19:21
kingofbizzare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 17:19
I like them. I hadn't heard Parachutes until recently, but everyone was telling me it was their best, so I gave it a listen. I found it somewhat balnd and boring. I think X&Y is their best so far. I can't wait to see what they're going to do next.
Dragon Phoenix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2006 at 08:23
Great band, and I woudl agree that their debut album is their best.
Blog this:
http://artrock2006.blogspot.com
YYZed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2006 at 08:53
Originally posted by Asyte2c00 Asyte2c00 wrote:

faster, heavier and sans piano.

Cry

I fanything I think this will make them less original, but maybe they will mave away from what they have been doing enough to make it sound fresh. I think Chris Martin's piano gives them a unique sound though.

tortellino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2006 at 16:53
Sorry for lovers, and happy for haters, but I saw a Chris Martin's recent interview where he told a journalist that Coldplay could go on an indefinitely long hiatus. That is to say, at least three years, that is more or less the average between-albums time for big selling acts like them.
tengo 'na minchia tanta
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2006 at 19:01
Coldplay sound like what would happen if you took the few really boring bits of the Doves and Elbow albums and then just put them on repeat for 4-6 minutes at a time. It's a grey, featureless expanse of dreariness that just goes on and on with no sense of adventure, dynamism or surprise. Like wathing an Eastenders marathon while on quaaludes.
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2006 at 19:08
^^^^
I have to agree, I actually bought "A Rush of blood to the head", there was one decent song on it. They just sound so damn dead.
floydisgod View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2006 at 19:10
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

Coldplay sound like what would happen if you took the few really boring bits of the Doves and Elbow albums and then just put them on repeat for 4-6 minutes at a time. It's a grey, featureless expanse of dreariness that just goes on and on with no sense of adventure, dynamism or surprise. Like wathing an Eastenders marathon while on quaaludes.

Wow, great (and true) description and analogy Clap

Edited by floydisgod - July 31 2006 at 19:21
postrockprince View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 13:23

I dislike coldplay. Mainly for the purpose that when I first heard them, I thought they stole their sound from Radiohead. I mean, I still feel that way about some songs, but I would have to say there are huge differences between the band. What most people are saying is true, they are boring. But one thing that hasn't been talked about yet is how forced their music is. They try and create a mood rather than let it #### from the music. That's why its on the radio. That's why Coldyplay is big with people who don't listen to that much music. They're forced into feeling the way they do about Coldplay's music. When it comes to Coldplay, there's little real artistry, and a lot of sappy, manipulative melodies.

Mogwai? Mogbecause!
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2006 at 16:34
They didn't exactly "steal their sound from Radiohead" - they took one single aspect of Radiohead's sound and wrote a lot of songs in that single style.

I like the overall sound they make - and the music stops sounding bland and samey once you've listened a few times - rather like Keane, who borrowed from a similar equally narrow area of Radiohead's sound palette - although Keane seem to have developed a slightly darker style, while Coldplay have gone towards the ambient.

Neither are progressive or approaching the field of Prog Rock, but both are harmless enough compared to some of the rubbish that gets played on the radio. I don't mind admitting that I sometimes feel "in the mood" to listen to their music and genuinely enjoy it.

Both create an effortless atmosphere of peace and tranquility in which not too much happens - and you don't want it to either.

Haven't Coldplay outsold the Beatles or something like that?

Edited by Certif1ed - August 01 2006 at 16:35
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
 Post Reply Post Reply