Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis To Play Glastonbury 07?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 23:55
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Originally posted by NutterAlert NutterAlert wrote:

wasn't this announced a few days ago..Bruce springstein & E street band apparently..though how they've been away for 35 years is beyond me.

Faces would be fabulous apart from fact two most influential members are dead.

Oops !  Confused  Did not know !

There were two bands:

One was called "Small Faces", and this band split in 1969. The members of the band were: Steve Marriott (who died in 1991), Ronnie Lane (who died in the late 90s), Kenny Jones (who replaced Keith Moon in "The Who") and Ian McLagan. Marriott and Lane were the main composers of the band.

When Marriott left "Small Faces" to form "Humble Pie" with Peter Frampton, Rod Stewart and Ron Wood joined the band, which in the beginning was still called "Small Faces", but after a short time the band changed their name to "Faces". Ronnie Lane left "Faces" in 1973, and was replaced by a Japanese bassist called Tetsu until December 1975 when they split.

I read in one magazine some years ago that there were plans to reform "Faces". Kenny Jones said that, but in the end it didn`t happen.

Edited by Guillermo - August 16 2006 at 23:57
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2006 at 13:32
I forgot that there was a "Small Faces" reunion between 1976 and 1978, but without Ronnie Lane. The line-up was Marriott, Jones, McLagan, plus bassist Rick Wills, and during their tour they had Jimmy McCulloch (ex-Wings, died in 1979)  playing guitar too. They recorded two unsuccessful albums and split in 1978.
Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 10:42

Genesis? Gentle Giant? COMUS?!? We really do have an imagination... Wink I think... It's gonna be a mistery untill that very night, all the crowd will be there, eager and podering who this wonderband will be... suddenly, a blinding orange light will come down from the depth of space ...and.... Holly cow!!!! LOOK! it's ELVIS!!  I knew it!

No, but really, Glastonbury isn't what it used to be, no more experimental hippies at the main stage. It's most likely going to be a noisy, simple and easy band. I can't think of any band I would want to see that fits the criteria and is capable of performing... Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't most the great bands of the 60's missing half thier members? What is the situation of the Velvet Underground members by the way? (stupid question, they must have ODed long ago..)

Edited by Dreamer - August 22 2006 at 11:10
crimson thing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 11:09
^ ....rumour has it certain bands have cloned their missing members from a drop of blood found on a long discarded syringe....
"Every man over forty is a scoundrel." GBS
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 11:29
Originally posted by Dreamer Dreamer wrote:

What is the situation of the Velvet Underground members by the way? (stupid question, they must have ODed long ago..)

You say that, but I seem to remember the original lineup of The Velvet Underground played Glastonbury about 8/9 years ago...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 11:35
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

What is the situation of the Velvet Underground members by the way? (stupid question, they must have ODed long ago..)

You say that, but I seem to remember the original lineup of The Velvet Underground played Glastonbury about 8/9 years ago...

Well, that's why I was askingShocked. So it can't be them anyways.
Duncan905 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 17:39
hey now, my 2nd post & maybe something to contribute...?

a band that fits the description & a reunion isn't out of the question:

Roxy Music (w/Eno)

Springtime this year there were rumors of them playing Coachella Festival near San Diego, which was pretty exciting for a minute then didn't happen.

Now Roxy's out on tour:  http://www.bryanferry.com/news.html

Add Eno & mix well!  Wink

Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 12:04

Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Well, that's why I was askingShocked. So it can't be them anyways.

I never have been a Fan of the Velvet Underground, but I know that at least two of their members are dead now. One was their female drummer and another maybe was their bassist whose names I don`t remember now. Another member who died a long time ago was their singer Nico.

There was a reunion of this band in the late 80s. They recorded a live album called "Songs for Drella" or something like that, which was dedicated to Andy Warhol, the creator of the band, who died in those years. The line-up had John Cale, Lou Reed, and other original members.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234