Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZeppelin, Purple or Sabbath?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Poll Question: This are the fathers of hard/heavy rock...choose your favorite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
98 [51.31%]
47 [24.61%]
46 [24.08%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 12:44
This was a toughie, really ! I like all three of them but in a different way.
To me Deep Purple made the best songs
Black Sabbath has the best sound
Led Zeppelin is the most progressive of the three (although, early DP ... hmmm)

Anyway, I respect all three highly and so I should. Black Sabbath is maybe the real father of hard rock. Led Zep is more versatile.
A day without prog is a wasted day
Sangria View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 18:46
I only like the original Ozzy era Sabbath and DP only has a handful of brilliant songs for me. Zeppelin has quite a few I like so LZ gets my vote.
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 23:18

Zeppelin has a much deeper catalouge and is much more consistent than the other two. Every time I hear Made in Japan, I can't help but think Mk II in their prime could wipe the floor with Zep. But then I hear How the West Was One and concede that they both were pretty incredible around 72-73.

So my vote goes to Zeppelin because of their ability to incorporate the blues, folk and eastern influences into their music; all of which give their music a diversity and edge the other two bands lack

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2009 at 23:36
Originally posted by mr.cub mr.cub wrote:

Zeppelin has a much deeper catalouge and is much more consistent than the other two. Every time I hear Made in Japan, I can't help but think Mk II in their prime could wipe the floor with Zep. But then I hear How the West Was One and concede that they both were pretty incredible around 72-73.

So my vote goes to Zeppelin because of their ability to incorporate the blues, folk and eastern influences into their music; all of which give their music a diversity and edge the other two bands lack

Yeah but Zeppelin lacked the funk, the prog, and the soul DP had!Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-QSB0XlHp8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhm9KKCVSBc&feature=PlayList&p=F95EC9E921C524C9&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksLN0aJ3wVE
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 20:16

You got me on the orchestra bit...LOL

I will give Deep Purple the nod for soulful vocals. Plant to me was always more of a showman but to me his vocals never topped this emotional mountain top in 1969. This is the definitive Zep song to me

I hate the song to death, but The Crunge brings the funk...to a degreeConfused

And prog-wise I think Zeppelin did a mighty fine job with Rain Song. Though this 1975 version really shows what a bad shape Plant's voice was in...

Overall though, there is an edge to Zeppelin's eastern and folk elements that I particularly enjoy. I love everything I've heard from DP but I haven't heard anything aside from the Mk II albums.

And also, Deep Purple were moving at about 100 mph while Zep was going 65. 'Rock and Roll' and 'Immigrant Song' are slow numbers for Deep Purple

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 15:53

I will give Deep Purple the nod for soulful vocals. Plant to me was always more of a showman but to me his vocals never topped this emotional mountain top in 1969. This is the definitive Zep song to me

And prog-wise I think Zeppelin did a mighty fine job with Rain Song. Though this 1975 version really shows what a bad shape Plant's voice was in...

Overall though, there is an edge to Zeppelin's eastern and folk elements that I particularly enjoy. I love everything I've heard from DP but I haven't heard anything aside from the Mk II albums.

And also, Deep Purple were moving at about 100 mph while Zep was going 65. 'Rock and Roll' and 'Immigrant Song' are slow numbers for Deep Purple

I wouldn't particularly say Deep Purple is really a fast rock band, is that what you meant. Child Time, Anyone's Daughter, Place in Line, Mistreated, Sail Away, a lot of stuff from Stormbringer, and from MK 1, but as you said you haven't listened to that stuff it's okay if you didn't know that...for now....Wink

Don't want to sound like if I hate Led Zeppelin and that I praise Deep Purple as the best band ever, I LOVE Zep's first 2 albums, excellent heavy blues stuff, and yeah Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is superb. Your Time is Gonna Come is one of my faves, believe it or not.
I just don't think it's fair that many turn off Deep Purple because they really haven't heard all their stuff but they have done that with Zep. Take in mind I'm not directing this to you, it's all fine with you, just spreading out a bit of my fave topic, that's allSmileWink

Gustavo Froes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 17:15
Quite a wicked one...we're talking about three of the best and most important bands of the last 4 decades...still I would have to go with Zeppelin in the end,as much as it hurts to leave Sabbath and specially Purple aside.
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2009 at 23:23
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

I'm not a huge Zep fan; I used to be enamored with the group but now find enjoyment in their music from time to time...

I wouldn't particularly say Deep Purple is really a fast rock band, is that what you meant. Sure they have their slow numbers but when they want to get the tempo going they are scorching...and I like that Tongue

Child Time, Anyone's Daughter, Place in Line, Mistreated, Sail Away, a lot of stuff from Stormbringer, and from MK 1, but as you said you haven't listened to that stuff it's okay if you didn't know that...for now....Wink

Don't want to sound like if I hate Led Zeppelin and that I praise Deep Purple as the best band ever, I LOVE Zep's first 2 albums, excellent heavy blues stuff, and yeah Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is superb. Your Time is Gonna Come is one of my faves, believe it or not. I enjoy the debut, but II strains me a lot (not a favorite of mine though it contains a few good songs). I love the string of albums from III to Houses of the Holy which is where that folky stuff comes into play. And then Physical Graffiti brings in the eastern numbers In The Light and Kashmir...

I just don't think it's fair that many turn off Deep Purple because they really haven't heard all their stuff but they have done that with Zep. Take in mind I'm not directing this to you, it's all fine with you, just spreading out a bit of my fave topic, that's allSmileWink

From what I have heard from DP, I find them extremely interesting and enjoyable. It took me a few years to get aquainted with all of Zep so I'm gradually doing the same with DP

Edited by mr.cub - June 22 2009 at 23:24

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2009 at 04:15
I do think that Zeppelin are in a field of their own. Heep, Purple and Sabbath perhaps. Bonham used to have a laugh at the idea of of Sabbath and Purple uniting. He never heard Born Again of course.

Purple have that Concerto (and that last Royal Abert Hall live album). They also have Nobody's perfect one of the most dreadful concert releases ever and that is taking into account Made inEurope and Last Concert in Japan. Their studio releases and Made In Japan are what counts really. Live theyr are fantastic which amkes some of their live choices puzzling.

Sabbath have the iconic Ozzy but the leats techinically gifted singer in their oeuvre. Love their albums with him, truly progressive as well. They also have the horrible Live at Last. Yet they have some good unofficvial live releases as well.

Heep (not part of the topic( for me go to Sweet Freedom including their exceelnt live album and ten die until Abominog in the early 80s and have not looked back since as they consistently release and tour.

Zeppelin are their own entity and (sorry folks) have not existed since 1980. I know some people wonder when Hendrix is coming to their town...

Zeppelin are the most influential overall, Sabbath being the father of metal today as we know it, Puple being glorious for the most part and Heep being crucually (IMHO) underrtaed. Like Tull, Yes KC not being in the R and R Hallof Fame.

But when it come down to it it's Led Zeppelin. An dthis has been a lifetime of decisions and I am not getting rid of my beloved Sabbath albums 'cause of it!

Rock and Roll to Kashmir even if I have to crawl... ;)

luger7 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 15:10
impossible, it is a tough one... I can live without Zeppelin (maybe...) but without Purple or Sabbath? No way!...
Viva .MX cabrones!
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 21:47
I love all three bands, some of the greatest in rock history. But I will have to say Zeppelin. They were the most diverse of the three, and could play anything from the blues, to reggae, for gods sake! They had such a huge influence on the rock genre, its impossible to deny their place in rock history.

Sabbath, too, pretty much defined what would come to be known as metal. Heavy rock probably would not exist, or at least, be very different if the Sabs hadn't come along.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567