Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone here using M-Tron? At all????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone here using M-Tron? At all????
    Posted: August 17 2006 at 23:42

I have the M-tron and am absolutely RIDICULOUSLY frustrated wioth it and I am SO suprised no one else has complained.

You CANNOT control volume through a midi controller, it freezes up all of the time.  I called M-audio and they said they are waiting for a patch.  It has been forever.

I have yet to get a controller with knobs, but anyone using M-tron that HAS knobs. does it freeze up when you try changing the pitch and all?

PLEASE someone here, on PROG ARCHIVES, HAS to have M-Tron and be using a knob-equipped midi controller!

mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 05:58
I couldn't resist ordering the M-Tron plug-in program after reading so many good reports and reviews about it, and seeing the Rick Wakeman demo posted recently. Still awaiting delivery - will report in the near future!
Regarding midi controllers, i have a 61-key Evolution model which i use with Propellerhead Reason 2.5, this works perfectly, all the controls are in synch with the program, and is great as a polyphonic synthesiser using Subtractor and Malstrom - with good sound banks there are literally thousands of combinations that can be heard on this, except Mellotron sounds, so i'm  hoping (says so in the spec. list) my midi controller works with these through Acid Pro 4!

Evolution Midi Controller Keyboards

Edited by mystic fred - August 18 2006 at 06:01
Prog Archives Tour Van
The Lost Chord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 11:05
I hear ya man, dont get me wrong you will love this thing, i play it every day...its just these few porblems really take away from it.

I am confused about this stuff, what do you mean by Propellerhead Reason 2.5, is this a sound card?

and what is Acid Pro 4?

WHat program are you currently using that controller with that it works fine?  Have you used it with any arturia stuff (minimoog V)?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 11:22
Propellerhead Reason 2 is a sequencer and virtual instrument standalone package for creating music on the computer, a key board can be used to play samples, loops and synthesisers, loads of fantastic sounds and effects with this. Sonic Foundry Acid Pro 4 is also a loop/sample sequencer that can also accept guitar or keyboard input, for more info see the website links for these... hope these help Brian!

Edited by mystic fred - August 18 2006 at 11:24
Prog Archives Tour Van
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 00:19

...you're referring to this right ?

http://www.gmediamusic.com/gforce/m-tron/M-Tron.html

i use this + this:  http://www.tobybear.de/p_minihost.html

however, i don't use any other devices otherh than a midi keyboard.

works great...sounds great.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 15:08
utah, what is your controller, does it have buttons/knobs?  do they work with pitch bend and such? can you change tape banks through your controller?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 15:03

UPDATE........i managed to download (cost 33 euros) the Propellerhead Reason refill pack 20 "Mello T", which now means i can get all those classic mellotron moments at last, and a lot cheaper then M-Tron!  Genesis, Moody Blues, Strawberry Fields they're all there, and perfect sound quality, and no 8 second time limit. Cool

(and no freeze ups!) 

Edited by mystic fred - August 25 2006 at 15:04
Prog Archives Tour Van
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 19:09
Mystic Fred, is that Mello T just like m-tron in all respects?  Does it work with midi controllers, knobs and buttons?  Has a volume switch, a tone and bitch changer?

Looks interesting, im getting fed up with these M-Tron problems!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2006 at 19:19
****CONFUSED*****

what is all this Reason 3 Combinator stuff???

Is this in anyway related to actual Mellotron software.

I have a feeling I need to buy alot more than JUST the Mello T in order to get this working with my Keystation 61
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 18:14
Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

Mystic Fred, is that Mello T just like m-tron in all respects?  Does it work with midi controllers, knobs and buttons?  Has a volume switch, a tone and bitch changer?

Looks interesting, im getting fed up with these M-Tron problems!!

YES.....YES....YES.......YES.....and......YES( BITCH changer???)!

"MELLO T" will work with  the basic 2.5 version of Reason....Tony Banks eat yer heart out!!LOL

Edited by mystic fred - August 26 2006 at 18:15
Prog Archives Tour Van
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2006 at 10:11
Originally posted by The Lost Chord The Lost Chord wrote:

utah, what is your controller, does it have buttons/knobs?  do they work with pitch bend and such? can you change tape banks through your controller?

don't use a midi controller.
i change the tape banks via the on screen mellotron virtual control panel.

tezuka27 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 18:28
Lost Chord,

I'm using M-tron with an EMU Xboard 49 midi controller keyboard and I've got some info to share with you.  First off, when using M-tron in standalone mode, it freezes up (like you've described), anytime I attempt to issue any midi command (pitch bend, tone, volume, attack, release) with the exception of the midi commands for the actual keyboard notes.  However, when used as a VST plugin in a midi music recording program like CUBASE, ABLETON LIVE, PROTOOLS, etc., M-tron responds properly to midi commands issued from the keyboard controller.

The hard part is finding which CC channels M-tron is using for which functions, and then adjusting your keyboard controls to send on the proper channels.  The EMU Xboard is easily adjusted with editing software that allows you to reassign any control to any CC channel

Here is the list of the CC channels that M-tron uses.

Pitch bend is CC95
Volume is     CC07
Tone is        CC74
Attack is      CC73
Release is     CC72

I haven't looked for the Pan function yet, nor can I find a channel for changing tape banks, though I think this must be possible.

While reassigning these controllers, I took the liberty of assigning the pitch bend to the Modulation wheel rather than the standard pitch bend wheel.  As the modulation wheel isn't spring loaded to return to its zero point when you release it, it actually approximates the funtionality of the pitch bend knob on a real Mellotron, which was essentially a rheostat.  It stays put to where you bend it until you're ready to bend it somewhere else or put it back to the zero position.

I love the M-tron software and their faithful approach to recreating the M400.  I do wish that they might have searched  just a bit longer for some of the source tapes, as a few of them are a touch too noisy for my taste. 

When you consider the cost of a new (or vintage) Mellotron starting at a base price of $5,200 vs. the $260 investment I made (M-tron with all tape banks on Amazon for approx $90 and $170 for the Emu Xboard at Guitar Center), I'd say it's money well spent.  And the sound is incredible.

jb

Post Reply Post Reply