Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSignatures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Signatures
    Posted: September 15 2006 at 02:19
Er, is this the right spot for this topic? Does anyone out there specialize in the creation of banners for the signatures? Anyone? Thankee.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 02:28
^ you can get playlist signatures from http://www.last.fm ... and/or http://www.progtology.com (Big smile).

Other than that you can build album art banners yourself ... I guess you should ask one of the people who's signature you like the most!
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 02:38

I can build banners with about the same skill and loving care that I could play an epic for food...

I.e., I'd better start studying those of my peers.

"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 02:45
I used to do some pretty advanced stuff - have a look:

I don't do these anymore because the cover art images are all copyrighted ... so: use at your own risk! (but the risk is very small, admittedly).
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 03:12
This'll do for now...or is it too large and irritating?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 05:02
^ personally I don't like signatures that have a larger height than the post itself ... I'd reduce my own signature if only there was a smaller font!
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 21:03
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I don't do these anymore because the cover art images are all copyrighted ... so: use at your own risk! (but the risk is very small, admittedly).

So What's In Your Cd Player, avatars, Guess The Cover etc are illegal now? I think that's pushing it a bit...Confused isn't it illegal only for commercial use?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 01:56

^ personally I don't like signatures that have a larger height than the post itself ... I'd reduce my own signature if only there was a smaller font!

Right then...I'd better start making REALLY BIG POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 02:51
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

So What's In Your Cd Player, avatars, Guess The Cover etc are illegal now? I think that's pushing it a bit...Confused isn't it illegal only for commercial use?

No, it's illegal to *publish* them on the internet. This involves posting then in a forum, and it's only a matter of time until someone gets prosecuted for that. First it was only about audio files, then they moved on to song lyrics ...

But as I said: The risk is very small for people who just use copyrighted files for a forum signature.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - September 16 2006 at 02:52
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 06:01
Out of interest, Mike, does Prog Archives have copyright on every single cover of every single album? Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 07:37
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Out of interest, Mike, does Prog Archives have copyright on every single cover of every single album? Wink

LOL I don't know, but I doubt it. Then again amazon probably also don't have permission to publish all the covers ... theoretically they would have to mention the author with every cover, which they don't. And that's the minimum requirement due to copyright law, even if you're just using the work under the terms of "fair use".

BTW: It should be pointed out that the recording artist is usually not the one who created the cover art. So when people say (which they often do) "By publishing the cover art I'm only helping the artist, why should he want money for me promoting him?". But the author of the cover art usually doesn't get any money from the recording artist or the record company from the album sales, or concert revenues. So by publishing the cover and *not* mentioning who created it, and how to reach him/her ... you're not helping that artist, but instead abusing his work to make your website more appealing (and on a website which heavily uses advertising you're also making money with it).
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 07:51
Fair enough, but I'm with Ansen, believing that making a sig out of a signature, or playing a game out of a cropped picture isn't the case to shiver. Wink

(on the other hand, we might get in trouble for chopping the cover!  Shocked LOL)
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 12:59
It's *impossible* to prosecute every of those billions of fan sites who quote lyrics, publish covers and band pictures, sound samples, etc............. In case someone uses an album cover for an ad for a commercial site, that's another story.
 Post Reply Post Reply