Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed'Ello.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 02:12
I don't take it personally. It's not like this is the first forum I've been on after all - just didn't really want my first thread here to turn into a war. Second thread, go for it

Nice to meet you, Clem, Flower, Aussie, Wayward, King & Pete!
AspiK View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 03:44
Originally posted by PaperDuck PaperDuck wrote:

Hello, all.

I'm PaperDuck, and I'm finally joining the forums here after about a year of using the site to check out albums and artists, or just to troll while bored. I'm 19, female, and got started listening to real prog just two years ago, though my roots were set with dad's 90125 and Talk albums on road trips in my early youth. In my father's defense, those weren't exactly his favorite albums either, but they're the only even mildly progressive albums my mom would listen to... unless you count the Moody Blues, which I don't.

I'm an especial fan of symphonic prog, though I've barely dipped into any at all - the only groups I have extended collections of are Yes, ABWH (any collection is extended ), Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Mars Volta and Pink Floyd. I also like the proggy side of Jethro Tull and Kansas, have mixed opinions on King Crimson (loved ITCOTCK and consider LTIA the best album I've ever heard, but was severely underwhelmed by Discipline - the only three I've heard), am weirded out (in a good way) by Jandek, have only heard a bad album of Genesis, and would think Frank Zappa should be banned if I thought anything should. I must confess my ignorance of pretty much all other prog, though my boyfriend has promised to send me some Rush, and I can't wait to get my hands on some good Genesis.

I also possess a shameful taste for Electric Light Orchestra and Styx in the pseudo-prog departments, as well as some classic rock, early metal, and a few artists I've picked up likings for from friends, including Billy Joel, Barenaked Ladies and various show tunes. Yes, I know. Shut up.

So, anyway... that's me. I look forward to participating, having fun, or whatever it is you do on these forums.

Great Starting point, PaperDuck!

And I hope LTIA could rest in your consideration the best you ever heard. Don't trouble, Discipline is not a KC album, the Discipline band renamed itself in the occasion of the first album pubblication by an EG Records advise Wink

Be happy, you have a fine taste (for all your remarks)! Clap

WELCOME
video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 03:52
welcome I love the name and avatar and musical taste.
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 03:56

Don't count Moody Blues...oh well, never mind.

'Ello to you too (wa-hoo!).

"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 04:10
Greetings, PaperDuck.  I hope you enjoy your stay here.

You have some good taste and a wealth of music to explore, so good luck!

Hug
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 04:33
I knew it had to be a female joining the forum, when I saw how many replies this thread got in a short amount of time. Wink

Oh well, welcome! Smile
Australian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 04:53
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

Originally posted by Australian Australian wrote:

Why does, everyone sort of, dislike all us velveteers? Its a great place to get heaps of posts really quickly.

Well, I'm not sure that everyone does, but you've really just answered your own question.

ConfusedWhy is getting "heaps of posts really quickly" important to you? Do you think it means automatic "respect," or something? (It doesn't!)

There was a time when those who posted in this forum did so when they had something to say, that would hopefully be of interest to others.

Then we got popular. (As to why I think that happened, and why our average age suddenly shot drastically down, I'd better not say).

The always front-page Velvet Room, and new members flocking there just to accumulate post counts with inane posts like "cya" "im here" "I bought this" and "Cry" make this forum look like just another teen chat room.

Listeners of "progressive rock" here (not that that term means anything much, any more) used to be a deeper, more thoughtful variety of rock fan. They knew stuff -- they had thoughtful, often thought-provoking, often witty things to say.

90% of the posting on this forum these days takes place in the VR, and 98% of that is completely shallow, and vapidly BORING to all but those who hang out there to drive up their post counts, and thus get some sort of "rep." (We also get all those childish "best" "worst' and "x vs y" polls.)Dead

But just like a 12 year-old trying to look tough or "grown up" with a cigarette looks even more like a silly kid, so does someone with 8000 posts (that say basically NOTHING) in 6 months look immature, and frankly, shallow

And I still don't "dislike" you -- I don't know you. I just resent what kids have done to this once fine forum. It is little more than just another teen chatroom, now.

The prevalence of empty, immature chatter is driving interesting people away.

Sorry, but I had to say that!

That's okay, I guess you don't know me very well to say the least. I meant what I said as a joke by the way.

Edited by Australian - September 16 2006 at 04:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12