Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis Reunion - latest News!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2006 at 22:38
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

The question is with or without Hackett.

If not with Hackett, honestly couldn't care less, if with Hackett would be interesting even if not perfect.

Iván

If it was without Hackett, I can assume that it'd be another pop affair that all of us have grudges against.
The Letter M View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 00:37
If it's without Hackett, and they want to pull in their older fans of their older material, they could definitely play some of it (if they bring back their old touring partners). They could definitely play the whole Duke suite (which *I* would love to hear), as well as a new Old Medley.

At this point, as a fan who hasn't had the chance to see them in concert, a relatively new fan, any version of Genesis (yes, even the Ray Wilson version) would be fantastic to see!

-Marc.
I know what I like and I like what I know. I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose free will. If I die tomorrow, I`d be alright because I believe that after we`re gone, the spirit carries on.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 01:42
Apparently, Peter Gabriel's schedule is full until 2008 but maybe he'll join them then. Here's the article. There was no mention of Steve Hackett unfortunately so maybe he's out too, only time will tell.

The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 01:46
Originally posted by Chameleon Chameleon wrote:

If not with Hackett, honestly couldn't care less, if with Hackett would be interesting even if not perfect.

Iván

If it was without Hackett, I can assume that it'd be another pop affair that all of us have grudges against.

And Phil was just starting to grow on me...oh well. I can have the torches and pitchforks ready at a moments notice!
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 01:47
I seriously doubt they would be playing much besides the hits from the 80's and 90's if Peter Gabriel wasn't involved. There isn't much of an audience for the older prog stuff(by itself) and I think the band realise that in order to sell tickets they have to appeal to the largest possible audience(the one that bought most of their records-ie ATTWT and on). I doubt Hackett would be intersted if that was the case so I don't see him doing it unless Gabriel was involved( since they would have to perform older material if PG was involved).
iguana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 08:05
... yawn ...
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?
Dennis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 12:20
No Gabriel, No Hackett. No Way! Pop rubbish will never lure me (Yes, I know some think Genesis pop is superior, but I'll still pass!). Let's call it "The we want MORE big money tour." Cynical? Hell yes, give us the REAL Genesis damn it! 
"Day dawns dark, it now numbers infinity"
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 13:21
Originally posted by Dennis Dennis wrote:

No Gabriel, No Hackett. No Way! Pop rubbish will never lure me (Yes, I know some think Genesis pop is superior, but I'll still pass!). Let's call it "The we want MORE big money tour." Cynical? Hell yes, give us the REAL Genesis damn it! 

Agreed.
yet you still have time!
JesusisLord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 17:28

NO HACKETT= NO INTEREST........

And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
Liquid Len View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 17:41
Still worth seeing,

With Hackett = better

With Gabriel = Perfect
Can you tell me where my country lies?
Octovarius View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 20:14
That would be awesome, especially because i saw The Musical Box 2 years ago (probably the best Genesis tribute) and since then, i seriously anticipate a Genesis reunion...but only if they play a lot of their 70's stuff and if its with Hackett. Otherwise, i don't think i would go.
Favourite Bands: Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, In Flames, Unearth, LagWagon, Lamb Of God, Slayer
yesfan88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2006 at 23:30
Without Gabriel, not worth it.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"- Evelyn Beatrice Hall
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2006 at 10:37
Originally posted by JesusisLord JesusisLord wrote:

NO HACKETT= NO INTEREST........

Amen; brother!!Big smile

(also amen to your signature Wink)
Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
JohnGargo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 15:46
I'll see them even if it's only the trio... I love those 80s albums.
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2006 at 23:36
Yesterday, one newspaper in my city announced that Collins said in one interview that they were planning a reunion tour, but only a reunion of the Collins-Banks-Rutherford trio. I could be interested if they come to play to my city, which I doubt! I think that the reunion tour could include Chester Thompson and Daryl Stuermer.

Yesterday, I visited their official website hoping to find the news of the reunion tour. There were not news yet.
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 01:10
Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

Yesterday, one newspaper in my city announced that Collins said in one interview that they were planning a reunion tour, but only a reunion of the Collins-Banks-Rutherford trio. I could be interested if they come to play to my city, which I doubt! I think that the reunion tour could include Chester Thompson and Daryl Stuermer.

If the trio came to my house to play, I would go to a Classic Rock pub that night, just not to see that aberration again.

Iván

Empathy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 10:09

Iván

Yep, this is pretty much where I stand, as well.
Pure Brilliance:
kirklott View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 20:41
Calm down everyone.

It's all over the news - just search google news.

It's Banks/Collins/Rutherford, so in all liklihood it will suck. Is anyone really excited for 'Illegal Alien' and 'Invisible Touch'?

Unless it's all 70s songs - preferably with Hackett on guitar and Bruford on drums - I won't be there.
"Progressive rock is the key to the continuance of human evolution." - Charles Darwin
kirklott View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2006 at 20:45
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

I seriously doubt they would be playing much besides the hits from the 80's and 90's if Peter Gabriel wasn't involved. There isn't much of an audience for the older prog stuff

You have no idea what you're talking about:
-Genesis had to cancel its last US tour because of poor ticket sales, even after re-booking into smaller venues
-The Musicial Box - a COVER band - sells out increasingly large venues.

Please note Yes tours in recent years have seen their audience size GROWING because they've done a 70s set list. During the Rabin era, when they played 80s/early 90s stuff, Yes ticket sales were in a free fall.
"Progressive rock is the key to the continuance of human evolution." - Charles Darwin
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2006 at 00:51

Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

If the trio came to my house to play, I would go to a Classic Rock pub that night, just not to see that aberration again.

Iván

Hi, Ivan:

Well, you know that I like all the periods of Genesis. Of course their 1968-1977 period is their best for many fans, me included. But as I also like some of their music from the trio years (with the exception of "Ilegal Alien, their worst song of all, IMO), so if I could see them in my city I would like to go to the concert. I`m a drummer and I think that Chester Thompson and Collins are very good drummers, and when Collins came to play to my city in 1994 Thompson wasn`t in his band, so I would like to see Genesis with him, Collins and Stuermer in the band.

For the people who wants to see Bruford playing  with Genesis again: I have listened to some Bootlegs from the 1976 tour. After listening to them now I know why the band didn`t release more live recordings with him on drums in their official live albums: Bruford is a very good drummer, but, IMO, his style was not right for the band, because he never played the songs in the same way, he even didn`t respect the basic drums patterns for the songs. He was always improvising. He was imposing his style to the band, IMO. He of course sounds great in "Cinema Show" (released in "Seconds Out") and in "It / Watcher of the Skies" (released in "Three Sides Live"), but in the Bootlegs sometimes his playing is not right, IMO. In other songs he shines, but he never "respected" the songs. The last time that he played with Genesis as guest was during their 1982 tour, playing during one Encore. I read somewhere that he said that he really didn`t like Genesis` music. He played with them because he was without band at that time and he needed to work.

Edited by Guillermo - October 07 2006 at 01:02
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12