Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger the Prophet?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roger the Prophet?
    Posted: January 09 2005 at 13:15

I was reading through my Wish You Were Here songbook, which happens to have an interview with Roger Waters in it, and I came to an intriguing respone from Roger...

Roger Waters: "Recently I was reading an article, or an interview, by one of the guys who's in Genesis, now that Peter Gabriel's left, and he mentioned P.F. in it. There was a whole bunch of stuff about how if you're listening to a Genesis album you really have to sit down and LISTEN, its not just wallpaper, not just high class musak like P.F. or 'Tubular Bells', and I thought, Yeah, I remember all that years ago when nobody was buying what we were doing. We were all heavily into the notion that it was good music, good with a capital G, and of course people weren't buying it because people don't buy good music.

I may be quite wrong but my theory is that if Genesis ever start selling large quantities of albums now that Peter Gabriel their Syd Barrett if you like, has left, the young man who gave this interview will realize he's reached some kind of end in terms of whatever he was striving for and all that stuffabout good music is a load of f**king bollocks. That's my feeling anyway. And 'Wish You Were Here' came about by us going on in spite of the fact we'd finished."

Strange, huh? The interview is from October 1975, a good number of years before Genesis lost their musical integrity.

"Mister Fripp, your music is quite different than everything else out there. In one word, how would you describe it?"

"Progressive.... yeah, that's it..."
the musical box View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2005 at 18:58
WHAT?!
something pretentious
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 01:05
I don't understand either.   
mirco View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2005 at 08:13
The really prophets where themselves, when they wrote "selling England by the pound". They ended selling their music by the pound... A real shame: I remember in "abacab" the inclusion of brass section from Earth, wind & fire...

Edited by mirco
 Post Reply Post Reply