FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI have a question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 17:02
As I said, everyone must throw large, pointed objects in my direction...
Custodian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 16:32

Originally posted by chorus of one chorus of one wrote:

Why are so many of you guys obsessed with which bands are and aren't on this site?
Progarchives is a wonderful resource for discovering new bands, but why get so up in arms when one you already know is or isn't included? Does it really matter?

Although I'm new to this site, prog is not new to me.  However, there are a lot of famous and not so famous bands that I just haven't had the time or money to check out.  When I'm considering a purchase or looking for something new (by "new" I mean something I haven't heard), I like to do a bit of research.  I don't want more bands in the archives to validate them.  I'd like to see them evaluated.  That's why I just started a thread about Roxy Music.  I'm sure they must have been mentioned before.  I've never heard them and I'd like to know if I should.  I'm just as happy to find out any certain band should be avoided. 

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 16:53

Quote Why are so many of you guys obsessed with which bands are and aren't on this site?

I think I said it before, even if we don't accept it,  Progressive Rock fans are pretentious in different levels, we use to see other genres as second class music, if somebody asks us about a band we say it's prog' or it's not prog'  before saying if it's good or bad.

So if we like the music of a band, it has to be progressive, prog' related or at least have some prog' influence; otherwise we don't have a valid reason to like it.

I believe it's a psychological problem with progheads.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068
Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 19:49
Although I've only been on this site for about a week, I've already spent a good number of hours browsing through the archives and downloading some of the songs and checking out new bands.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 19:53
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Quote Why are so many of you guys obsessed with which bands are and aren't on this site?

I think I said it before, even if we don't accept it,  Progressive Rock fans are pretentious in different levels, we use to see other genres as second class music, if somebody asks us about a band we say it's prog' or it's not prog'  before saying if it's good or bad.

So if we like the music of a band, it has to be progressive, prog' related or at least have some prog' influence; otherwise we don't have a valid reason to like it.

I believe it's a psychological problem with progheads.

Iván

Bit of a broad assumption there, Ivy.Ermm

I can't find any prog in my Lucinda Williams, Neil Young or pure Celtic albums.Stern Smile

Now don't go tellin' me that "Cortez the Killer" is prog, either! Wink

Edited by Peter
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 21:38

Not you Peter (in those cases ) neither I in my Meat Loaf or Jackson Browne collection, but there are people that consider Radiohead and ELO Prog', so there are cases and cases.

Iván

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 21:52
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Not you Peter (in those cases ) neither I in my Meat Loaf or Jackson Browne collection, but there are people that consider Radiohead and ELO Prog', so there are cases and cases.

Iván

I don't consider Radiohead prog just because I like them.  I like more non-prog than a good portion of you guys (or so I'd like to think), but I'm not vouching for Nick Drake or Wire to get listed on here.  Could it just be that maybe your theory is flawed?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 21:59

In this case I'm just kidding Useful, but I'm member of 5 forums and I've read people saying that bands or musicians as Bjork, REM, Cobain's Nirvana, Coldplay, all Styx, Asia, GTR, Nine Inches Nail or even albums as Invisible Touch or We Can't Dance are Progressive.

At least Radiohead has a proggish sound and ELO is a good band that had acouple of progressive tracks.

And don't judge us as if all of us don't like non prog, I have at least 200 non prog CD's and believe me, that's more than most mainstream fans have.

If mytheory is flawed, why do progheads (included myself) call guilty pleasures to any album they like which is not prog?

Iván

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 22:05

Sorry, I'm in a horrible mood tonight.

Although the reason why I say that I probably listen to more non-prog than a lot of you is because I'm just as interested in indie rock and metal (as well as other styles, but those two in particular) as I am in prog.  I'm not really a 100% proghead.  If you want to kick me off the site now, then by all means go ahed

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2005 at 22:34

Hey take it easy Useful!!!!!!!

Everybody has the right to be angry once in a while.

Iván

chorus of one View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2005 at 19:25
Seeing all the threads today I have to reiterate my point. If you don't like the progarchives selection, instead of making all these stupid polls and petitions, just go have a cry about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12