Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet's make peace a posibility...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's make peace a posibility...
    Posted: November 27 2006 at 19:37
Yes, my suggestion: add three bands that most people are mentioning right now: Metallica, The Doors and Black Sabbath as prog-related. Just do it.

Those who say: "metallica was influence for DT more than Zeppelin" will shut up.

Those who say: "the doors is more prog than zep. or Iron maiden"will shut up (like meBig smile).

Those who say: "Sabbath was more of an influence than Zep or Maiden"will shut up.

Those that think this site is "un-progging" itself won't shut up.... but with so many others already shut up, then everybody will be able to bear with their complains.... (mine, too)

mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 15:33
 here are the official "at the moment" listings ....

METALLICA - rejected by prog-metal team

THE DOORS - ??? not listed *

BLACK SABBATH - rejected

* my suggestion - - build a good  submission case !Smile

Prog Archives Tour Van
Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 00:59

The Doors were progressive to the evolution of modern Punk (70's)-todays sh*t is NOT PUNK. Morrison cared less about rock music. He wanted to be a performer, and an poet. This shows in his performances on stage. His, in your face, couldn't give a damn attitude, is what made him so famous, and was inevitably and sadly, his demise. Morrison wanted to shock, make the audience sit back, startled. Think about what they just "felt". Jim wanted to hit between the ears aswell as between the legs. 

THE DOORS ARE PROGRESSIVE.

Black Sabbath are the most important band in the evolution of "heavy metal" (hate the phrase). Sabbath were the first to successfully meld, lyric, voice and atmosphere into one cohesive and highly addictive formula. Black Sabbaths riff laden, bass heavy, morose song content was an everlasting Eden to those desperately trying to escape the "peace and love" that was rapidlly wilting in 1970. Sabbath had plenty of competition, but nobody was as dark, brooding and charged with pessimism. To  young male ears, there was nothig better than that sinister band from Birmingham.
This being said. Sabbath's music was blues based. Distorted yes. Progressive. No.
BLACK SABBATH IS NOT PROGRESSIVE.

Metallica, the most powerful of the eighties hair bands. Good on intention, poor on originality. Metallica are "one of the few" to make out of the eighties alive. Good on them for that. They managed to stay dark, and keep heavy, but the formula developed SO many years ago has long since run it's course. Good run, (more than they deserved-IMHO) Rest in Peace. "I" can't see the world of metal being any different without them. Feel free to object.
METALLICA ARE METAL. NOT PROGRESSIVE RELATED.

Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 01:05
I believe we don't add bands to make people happy.

We add bands because they are/were Prog, Prog Related or Proto Prog.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply