Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Now and Then" by... VdGG?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Now and Then" by... VdGG?
    Posted: December 22 2006 at 01:13
The Van der Graaf Generator discography includes an album called Now and Then. This album, however, has a little to do with VdGG. As known, it consists of eight tracks, whereas six of them are written by Jackson-Banton-Evans, and two ("The Liquidator" and "Tarzan") are by VdGG. These two tracks also appear on VdGG's album Time Vaults.

I know that the title of the album is Now and Then by Van der Graaf Generator / Jackson-Banton-Evans. I know that there is a review of this album, made by the Special Collaborator. But I have the feeling that this album does not really belong to the VdGG discography. It is a compilation of several tracks, and most of them are not by VdGG since Jackson-Banton-Evans is the project outside VdGG.

Frankly speaking, I would like not to see it within the VdGG discography. But if not there, then where? Well, it is hardly Prog, in my opinion, and I would not be against its removal (though I am not saying that it should be removed). However, there is already a review, and it is not fair to remove the album with a review. So, maybe, it is possiible to create a separate entry for this album?

What do you think?

Edited by Fassbinder - December 22 2006 at 01:27
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2006 at 01:41
Originally posted by Fassbinder Fassbinder wrote:

The Van der Graaf Generator discography includes an album called Now and Then. This album, however, has a little to do with VdGG. As known, it consists of eight tracks, whereas six of them are written by Jackson-Banton-Evans, and two ("The Liquidator" and "Tarzan") are by VdGG. These two tracks also appear on VdGG's album Time Vaults.

I know that the title of the album is Now and Then by Van der Graaf Generator / Jackson-Banton-Evans. I know that there is a review of this album, made by the Special Collaborator. But I have the feeling that this album does not really belong to the VdGG discography. It is a compilation of several tracks, and most of them are not by VdGG since Jackson-Banton-Evans is the project outside VdGG.

Frankly speaking, I would like not to see it within the VdGG discography. But if not there, then where? Well, it is hardly Prog, in my opinion, and I would not be against its removal (though I am not saying that it should be removed). However, there is already a review, and it is not fair to remove the album with a review. So, maybe, it is possiible to create a separate entry for this album?

What do you think?

One possibility should be creating an entry for Jackson-Banton-Evans and in this case it should go probably to Prog-Related.

Anyway, if it's credited firstly to VDGG, I'm not sure if the Art-Rock Team should give them up to other genre or other entry.

Well, let's see what others have to say. Smile
Guigo

~~~~~~
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2007 at 21:04
Almost a month from the original posting date and the sole reaction so far...

Maybe, when the Art Rock team is back to the game from the break, there's a hope for some other persons' opinions? I mean, everyone's opinion is welcome, not only the Art Rock team's one.
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 05:28
Hmmm .... IMO it is probably best left where it is .... after all VDGG is name-checked on the front of the CD cover .... I can see your point but I'm not sure it would serve any useful purpose to move it.

However, to be really pedantic .... isn't it a compilation of 2 different 'bands'? Doesn't that make it 'Various Artists'?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 05:36
Originally posted by Joolz Joolz wrote:

Hmmm .... IMO it is probably best left where it is .... after all VDGG is name-checked on the front of the CD cover .... --- For our sadness... I can see your point but I'm not sure it would serve any useful purpose to move it. -- Only to clean the band's page from what the band never did.

However, to be really pedantic .... isn't it a compilation of 2 different 'bands'? Doesn't that make it 'Various Artists'? -- Good point.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 14:59
...resurrecting the old thread fallen into oblivion...

I'd like to know what do you, guys, think about the issue in question.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 16:03
Eugene, have you notified the former Art Rock folks? I doubt if they'll respond to an E&O thread...
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 18:55
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Eugene, have you notified the former Art Rock folks? I doubt if they'll respond to an E&O thread...

No, I never did...

But I saw their posts in some threads here...

What's your opinion on this case, by the way, Angelo?
 Post Reply Post Reply