Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedModeration in all things

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moderation in all things
    Posted: January 03 2007 at 15:32
I made what was possibly the mistake, of registering with the Ineternet Movie Database (www.imdb.com) today, primarily so I could award a currently showing CGI children's film as few points as possible, having sat through the damn thing  to the point that I thought my bottom was so numb that I probably wouldn't walk again.

I investigated some of the discussion threads, and was amazed at the level of personal abuse and vitriol being thrown around.

Now let's face it, musical taste is a very very personal thing. If people can be exchanging insults and diatribes over a kiddies film about dancing penguins (damn! what a giveaway) then all I can say is, this site is superbly well moderated and/or its members are a particularly well-behaved and tolerant group. In any case- it's a pleasure to be part of.

So, a rousing round of applause to all (and no personal abuse please)
zedkatz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 15:40
And PS- I've just realised I've probably posted this to the wrong forum! Admins: Please feel free to move
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 15:50
Originally posted by zedkatz zedkatz wrote:

And PS- I've just realised I've probably posted this to the wrong forum! Admins: Please feel free to move

You stupid b*****d!! Why don't you go back to IMDB??? Huh? You too f***ed in the head to find it again as**ole!Angry

Now thats the personal abuse done with.LOL

Wink

Edited by Snow Dog - January 03 2007 at 15:51
Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 15:54
Haha ohhh man Snow Dog at first I didn't read the bottom of your post and was like "Whaaaaaa????"

LOLLOL

But yeah, go us for being so nice!

Edited by Zappa88 - January 03 2007 at 15:54
Beauty will save the world.
zedkatz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 15:58
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

You stupid b*****d!! Why don't you go back to IMDB??? Huh? You too f***ed in the head to find it again as**ole!Angry

NICE ONEThumbs Up

Now thats the personal abuse done with.LOL

Wink
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 16:07

I made what was possibly the mistake, of registering with the Ineternet Movie Database (www.imdb.com) today, primarily so I could award a currently showing CGI children's film as few points as possible, having sat through the damn thing  to the point that I thought my bottom was so numb that I probably wouldn't walk again.

I investigated some of the discussion threads, and was amazed at the level of personal abuse and vitriol being thrown around.

Now let's face it, musical taste is a very very personal thing. If people can be exchanging insults and diatribes over a kiddies film about dancing penguins (damn! what a giveaway) then all I can say is, this site is superbly well moderated and/or its members are a particularly well-behaved and tolerant group. In any case- it's a pleasure to be part of.

The major difference with the two sites I feel is that we have more of a "community" feel here, whilst IMDB, you have to register just to read the posts and it just seems more "open" to more users. Films and TV are a much wider remit after all.
zedkatz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 16:18
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

The major difference with the two sites I feel is that we have more of a "community" feel here, whilst IMDB, you have to register just to read the posts and it just seems more "open" to more users. Films and TV are a much wider remit after all.

Yes, you're right, though it's still a pretty broad scope here on PA given the diversity of music included under the prog banner. I like the rational debate and tolerance.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 17:10
Nice of you to say so Zedkatz.

As SD suggests, it's down to a lot of things, not least of which is the support we get from the members, who are great at bringing the trolls etc. to our attention.

We have our moments of course, it's not all peace and love by any means, but I think in general terms we must have one of Internet's more civilised forums.
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2007 at 17:16
Agreed. Of all places on the internet I've posted this is the most peaceful and, dare I say it, friendly and intellectual place. Perhaps the reason is that what unites as is maybe not the similarity of tastes - as people here tend to listen to different kinds of music, have different views and often do not want to change their opinion - but rather a similar mindset and valued aesthetic, which makes us, let's face it, esoteric and kind of... nerdy (couldn't find a better word) in the eyes of other people, if they ever see us discussing a band being Proto-Prog or bashing the Neo-Prog genre. Wink
sig
 Post Reply Post Reply