FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMellotron in NON-prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 17:38
There is some 'tron on the new KT Tunstall CD. Almost as unlikely as Abba, I'd say.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 00:07
Mellotrons show up in a lot of early 70s rock, pop and soul music because if there was one around in the studio, using it was a lot cheaper than paying for a string section. If you add enough reverb, a staple of early soul music, it is hard to tell the difference.
A friend of mine used to work on Isaac Hayes's Mellotron, which I think was finally sold off. Isaac, at the time he was using it, was doing a lot of extended psychedelic tracks, part of the progressive soul music of the early 70s. He was also a major producer during this time so I am sure that Mellotron showed up on other records.
I was riding with my wife the other day and The Boxer was playing on the radio and I noticed towards the end of the song a massive bass voice enters that must be a Mellotron or maybe an early commercial synth.

Edited by Easy Money - October 25 2007 at 06:45
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 07:31
Originally posted by pierreolivier pierreolivier wrote:

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark(OMD):One of the few new wave bands to use the Mellotron,Their album "Architecture and Morality" is full of Mellotron.They even used it live during this tour in  1981

When they played a small French Festival in 1981, the stage & lighting rig was all running from one small generator. Problem was, every time the music called for dramatic bright lighting, the rig used so much power that the mellotron tapes used to slow down, completely out of tune - apparently (according to Andy McCluskey in a recent interview) they had to send a note to their lighting man asking him to keep it dark & moody throughout...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12