Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAny sound sculptors out there?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any sound sculptors out there?
    Posted: March 29 2007 at 12:04
Hi everyone,

I'm a keyboard player and a vintage synth collector and I want to know is there anyone here into subtractive synthesis? Anyone familiar with the triangle & square waves, ADSR envelopes, filters, low-frequency oscillators?

It doesn't necessary have to be analog subtractive synthesis; digital thingies such are FM or any other are fine too.

(Please, no sample discussions here. I'm interested in creating a timbre right from the scratch.)

Synths are unnecessary too; maybe someone wants to know which stomp boxes to use to produce a church organ sound out of his Strat?

What is the best old polysynth for overdriven Hammond sounds? Which synth is closest to the MiniMoog? What's so special about DX7? How to make ARP sound like a Rhodes?

Anyone? There must be someone sharing the same interests as me...

nightlamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 16:56
Count me in as another fan of subtractive synthesis...  I'm not really what one would call a hardcore electronic musician but I use electronics quite a bit in my groups as transformative devices-- mostly balanced (ring) mod, filters, and delays. 

Regarding your questions...  As a non-synth-expert, my suggestions would be:

a. best polysynth: Roland Juno 6/106-- the first real synth I ever played.  Very easy to make organ & clavinet/harpsichord type sounds, even though replicating other instruments wasn't my interest.  Add a decent phaser (or rotary speaker/emulator) and you're good to go.

b. Synth closest to the MiniMoog: Another Moog!  Seriously, in terms of panel layout the Moog Rogue (or Realistic version) is pretty close.  It sounds pretty similar-- not quite as fat (since they don't have 3 oscillators), but they had the same sweet filter circuit that's classic Moog.  Synthesis Technologies makes several modules that are Moog filter clones (and are Moog-ish looking), but I can't attest to their accuracy in replicating the sound. 

c. Special about DX7: First mass-production synth to have preset sounds that were derived from FM synthesis.  Beyond that, I don't see what the big deal is...

d. Don't know.  Again, my synth interest has never been along the lines of emulating real-world instruments.

What kind of synths do you use?  What's on your wishlist?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 17:11
I have an Oberheim OB-12 - which as a polyphonic analogue modelling synth with all the right knobs and sliders (triangle & square waves, ADSR envelopes, filters, low-frequency oscillators etc.), but with the ease of pre-sets and digital control.

A few years ago they were being knocked out really cheaply (<£500), but now they are quite rare.

Chances of imitating any real-world instruments with it are zip, but you if you were trying to do that you wouldn't use a subtractive synth. For phat and spacey synth sounds it is the business.

What?
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2007 at 10:16
wow, I'm not alone...welcome!!Hug

Originally posted by nightlamp nightlamp wrote:

Count me in as another fan of subtractive synthesis...  I'm not really what one would call a hardcore electronic musician but I use electronics quite a bit in my groups as transformative devices-- mostly balanced (ring) mod, filters, and delays. 

Regarding your questions...  As a non-synth-expert, my suggestions would be:

They're actually not my questions, just rough examples of my interestsSmile However, since you answered, I will add my humble opinion:
a. best polysynth: Roland Juno 6/106-- the first real synth I ever played.  Very easy to make organ & clavinet/harpsichord type sounds, even though replicating other instruments wasn't my interest.  Add a decent phaser (or rotary speaker/emulator) and you're good to go.
I'm not sure about a "best" polysynth tag here, but Junos are awesome indeed. I have one Juno 60...the most furious (and very convincing) overdriven Hammond that I ever heard from the non-organ keyboard. You're right, clavinets and harpsichords are nice, atmospheric pads too...but I was never able to squeeze decent strings out of this machine.

b. Synth closest to the MiniMoog: Another Moog!  Seriously, in terms of panel layout the Moog Rogue (or Realistic version) is pretty close.  It sounds pretty similar-- not quite as fat (since they don't have 3 oscillators), but they had the same sweet filter circuit that's classic Moog.  Synthesis Technologies makes several modules that are Moog filter clones (and are Moog-ish looking), but I can't attest to their accuracy in replicating the sound. 
Agreed. If you want your synthesizer to sound like a Moog, buy a Moog.
Although some manufacturers come close: SE Omega is a KILLER synth (people say), Emerson is using it to replace his old Modular, Cheetah analog synths are also very close, but the only budget synth that is somewhat close to Moog's sound (and structure) is any of MFB (Manfred-Frieke-Berlin) synth or SynthLite series...3 OSC's, killing filter but warning! Lite series utilise DCO's.

Digital synths: I played E-mu Vintage Keys and I didin't like it all. Too plastic. on the other hand, some virtual synth are worth mentioning - Arturia is awesome.

c. Special about DX7: First mass-production synth to have preset sounds that were derived from FM synthesis.  Beyond that, I don't see what the big deal is...
You're right, no big deal really, although the concept of FM synthesis is nice.

d. Don't know.  Again, my synth interest has never been along the lines of emulating real-world instruments.
I couldn't agree more. Let the synth howl, hiss, scream, screech, whisper, blip and burp, but don't make synth to pretend that is something else.

What kind of synths do you use?
Roland Juno 60, Korg Poly 61, Korg Micropreset M500SP, Korg Poly800 and a few others...But I played on a lot more keys that I own.
  What's on your wishlist?
Everything ever manufactured. There is no musical instrument that couldn't be good to inspire you in making you at least one song.
To narrow it down, my wishlist: monosynths from the 70's, string machines, Hammond, something modular, legendary polys from late 70s/early 80s (Prophet to Trident to JX), Andromeda, Evolver - the first on my "to buy" list.

Cheerio!

Edited by clarke2001 - May 16 2007 at 10:17
jmcdaniel_ee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 13:17

I've got a Nord G2 Modular synth.  I know, no one thinks it's as warm as a vintage synth or whatnot, but you can save a near infinite amount of patches and instantly recall each one.  It's really a blast, and has as many modules as you could dream of, but doesn't look nearly as cool as a big modular rack(s).  In the past two years, I've learned a ton about synthesis (mostly subtractive).  A couple of good places I go to are:

www.electro-music.com

and the Sound on Sound synthesis secrets database.  EXTREMELY useful if you're not already familiar with it.  http://www.soundonsound.com/search?page=1&Keyword="synth%20secrets"&Words=All&Summary=Yes

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 13:39
Hey there Clarke, I am an analogue synth collecter and I use my keyboards professionally as much as possible. I won't bore you with a list, but just some favorites.
The Juno 6 is great for doing Farfisa like psych organ, but with pedal filter control.
The mini-korg is way underated and does killer melodic synth solos.
Korg MS 20 has a huge sound and lots of features a mini-moog doesn't have.

I more or less know how all the parameters work, but once you get in deep with a sound it is easy to just get overwhelmed.

I also collect analogue Hammond copies like the Crumar T1

Edited by Easy Money - November 20 2007 at 13:40
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 17:21
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Hey there Clarke, I am an analogue synth collecter and I use my keyboards professionally as much as possible. I won't bore you with a list, but just some favorites.
The Juno 6 is great for doing Farfisa like psych organ, but with pedal filter control.
The mini-korg is way underated and does killer melodic synth solos.

I more or less know how all the parameters work, but once you get in deep with a sound it is easy to just get overwhelmed.

I also collect analogue Hammond copies like the Crumar T1

Clap

Juno 6 is surprisingly good for organ indeed. I own a 60, which is sound-wise the same thing. I like the double chorus=leslie, and filter pedal control, as you've mentioned it too!

Unfortunately I don't own a mini-korg or any of old MS or DV series....but that ridiculous little Micropreset machine could be awesome. Awesome and ballsy filter, great portamento action. Ona distortion it's KILLER. Wink

As for overwhelming...I know. I even approached a few engineers for my advanced concept of a synth, but I gave up because of initial price.EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

nightlamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 21:55
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Yeah, I love the MS-20's patch bay feature-- the semi-modularity of the MS-20 seems to make it a better fit for far-out noise and sound effects than the Moog.  I love the MS-20's filters too, they sound great!
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 00:42
I don't think the mini moog has a sample and hold feature which the MS20 has in a big way.
Another synth that dissapointed me was the ARP Odyssey. It is just hard to understand, there are things about it I don't get and the sound and the bad pitch control are not great.
I think an ARP Axxe would have been the better buy. I have a Chroma Polaris which is basically the last ARP and it has some nice sounds and features.
 Post Reply Post Reply