Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [80.65%]
6 [19.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2007 at 15:53
I love them both, but I have to say Plant is the better vocalist. Sure, definitely not as constant as anyone would want that outstanding voice to be, but Led Zeppelin and a Live performance were symbiotic concepts and to have those extensive tours - with your standard LZ live performance ranging from great to nothing less than inhumane - draining all their creative juices, you'd figure Plant's vocals would suffer considerably.
I think Plant's influence is striking on Coverdale, but the man has much more of his own to deserve the harsh and controversial stigma of cloning.

This is why you should let Robin save the day...
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 01:55
 Who the heck is David Coverdale? Wink

I mean seriously, Plant is a huge rock icon -- Coverdale is second rank, at best!

He doesn't stand a chance in this poll. Did you know Plant sang for Led Zeppelin?Shocked

Stern%20Smile"Talent" aside, if you've going to put someone up against RP, he has to be a monster famous, widely-loved classic rock vocalist. Sorry, but I don't even have any Whitesnake, and I honestly don't know anyone who does.

(In fact, i can't name even one WS song, nor do I recall ever hearing any.)

Now, who would be a fair fight for Plant? Roger Daltery, maybe? (I still think Plant's the better vocalist.)Ermm

Starcastle or Yes?  Wink

Edited by Peter Rideout - April 14 2007 at 10:28
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 02:14

Edited by Ghost Rider - April 15 2007 at 03:25
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 02:42
I know who Coverdale is, but I just stop caring about Purple when there's no Gillan (though I liked his predecessor as well).

I know Whitesnake have some fans here, but my main point is that the poll is simply unfair -- who can really go up against a monster heavy rock icon like RP, in terms of garnering rock fans' votes?

Maybe someone like Roger Daltrey, as I suggested, but I'd really like to see the vocalist who's gonna dethrone RP in a heavy, classic rock poll.

I don't mean he's my fave singer of all time (or that Coverdale can't sing) -- but it's like putting Grenada against the US army:  a wee bit of a pre-determined outcome! Stern%20Smile

Are you familiar with the expression "foregone conclusion?" Wink

Edited by Peter Rideout - April 15 2007 at 11:01
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 03:09

Please, accept my sincere apology, Raffaella -- but let's also put this in perspective.I did not call any members here any names, but  I was going for pop-rock "journalism" (if you will) -- which is supposed to be hard-hitting and controversial, just like its subject matter. Perhaps I went too far, but surely  there's room for that sort of writing (sans the faux profanity) on PA?  

(Nor am I always confrontational, as you imply.)Ouch

Again, I have no Whitesnake, and I don't (personally ) know anyone who does. Thus i think the  poll is wholly unbalanced, and unfair to Coverdale, if you like. He didn't stand a chance against one of Plant's immense popularity -- that's my point. Plant will be in rock history books a century from now. Coverdale might warrant a footnote. (No insult to his voice or talent implied -- just the relative levels of fame, and overall impact on the music known as rock and roll.)

The Monkees had some talent. So did Tommy James and the Shondells. But should we put them up against the Beatles?Confused

BTW, see my ongoing, blatantly mocking treatment of  the Village people, disco and Menudo, next. They all have fans, too (apparently).Wink

In any case, Raffaella sorry again for any seeming disrespect toward Coverdale, or his fans, in my original post, and doubly sorry for the aggressive tone of my original response to your "moderation." You're just about the last person I want to anger or offend here, as I have tremendous respect (and genuine affection) for you.Smile

Rumour has it, a immoderate quantity of Dutch beer may have played a role in the affair -- seemed like a good idea at the time....Embarrassed

Edited by Peter Rideout - April 14 2007 at 10:49
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 03:14
Been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely, lonely ,lonely , lonely, lonely TIME! Wink

Edited by Peter Rideout - April 15 2007 at 11:04
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 03:23
It's 10:23, and time for coffee -- um de dum de dum....Wink

Edited by Peter Rideout - April 14 2007 at 10:23
He chortled in his joy.
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 10:29
In the Brazilian press Coverdale is often referred to as "The legendary hard rock vocalist of Deep Purple and Whitesnake"
Peter, I donīt think the poll is unfair, Coverdale is a heavyweight and can easily stand up to a Janis Joplin clone%3cimg Just kidding! Plant is great too.

Edited by WaywardSon - April 14 2007 at 10:30
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 10:42
Originally posted by WaywardSon WaywardSon wrote:

In the Brazilian press Coverdale is often referred to as "The legendary hard rock vocalist of Deep Purple and Whitesnake"
Peter, I donīt think the poll is unfair, Coverdale is a heavyweight and can easily stand up to a Janis Joplin clone%3cimg Just kidding! Plant is great too.

I see -- well, I certainly can't claim to have heard all the rock out there, and I always avoided Whitesnake on the assumption they were a metal band.

Apologies for any seeming disrespect to the man's vocal abilities -- or his worldwide legions of rabidly devoted, fervent  fans. Wink

(But I still thing a guy of Plant's immense popularity will handily tromp any contender in this sort of poll. He is a MEGA star in R&R. Coverdale is just not of that stature, you must admit. If he were, surely I'd have heard him by now. Whitesnake get no airplay around here, that I'm aware of.)

Edited by Peter Rideout - April 14 2007 at 10:51
He chortled in his joy.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 10:44

In his early years- ie; before '1987' and 'Coverdale Page' (which is even more blatant)-Coverdale didn't sound like Plant to at all to me. His albums with Deep Purple range from solid to excellent and Whitesnake were a very solid blues rock act until 1987 where Coverdale found the joy of hairspray...LOL

For all that though, I still think '1987' is one of Whitesnake's better albums and is to my ears streets ahead of the usual 'hair metal' fodder (even if I think it's dated somewhat, production wise). I rather liked the heavier reworking of 'Crying In The Rain' but didn't like the rehash of 'Here I Go Again' at all. Still, 'Still Of The Night' (that 'oh baby' bit in that is PURE Plant) is good quality, imho.

For some reason, I find 'Coverdale Page' harder to take and I find it to be almost a self parody. I really like 'Take Me For A Little While', which ironically enough is the song where Coverdale sounds most like himself and NOT like Plant. It was this project, I believe, which inspired Plant to call Coverdale 'David Cover-version'...he has a point. Do check out Coverdale's fairly recent solo album 'Into The Light' though, some great things on there. I'll give him a vote here just to bump up his total (I bet Coverdale could craft a lyric out of that line...), even though both are excellent.

Edited by salmacis - April 14 2007 at 11:06
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 12:00
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

I know Whitesnake have some fans here, but my main point is that the poll is simply unfair -- who can really go up against a monster heavy rock icon like RP, in terms of garnering rock fans' votes?

Very clever words!! I agree completely, NO comparison!! Clap
It's like comparing a singer with its teacher Confused
ViolinCyndee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 03:05
Originally posted by Barla Barla wrote:

Robert GOD Plant!!!

One of the best vocalists of all time!!

Clap

I totally agree!!  Clap