Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTori Amos vs Kate Bush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Choose your favorite female artist
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [66.67%]
21 [33.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 17:06
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=77283341

Wink

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 17:11
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=77283341

Wink

Heart
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 17:13
There's great live performance of her on YouTube if you want to see her cover Gabriel, or do her own stuff.  

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 17:15

There's great live performance of her on YouTube if you want to see her cover Gabriel, or do her own stuff.  

checking out the myspace tracks now.  thanks James.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 18:55
^ that's the scariest Kate Bush impression I've every heard Shocked - absolutely gobsmacked by the music Clap(apart from Lily of the Valley - she should have left the capo on - it sounded 10x better).

Another singer I admire is Jemima Price - she's recorded tribute albums of both Kate and Tori for the dire Dressed 2 Kill budget label, as well as a couple of solo albums of her own (http://www.myspace.com/jemimaprice). But first one, of the most bizarre covers of all time, Jemima sings the Sex Pistols Submission: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dWroYc5vk8
What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 18:59
that was some great stuff James Clap

and next to check out Ms. Price it seems hahhaha
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2008 at 05:21

Any Happy Rhodes fans here?    She's another of the Kate/Tori mold.  Incredible voice and some unique music too.  In her high range she sounds just like Kate.  In her low range she sounds like Annie Lennox.  And she can switch between them effortlessly. 

That reminds me, why isn't she in the Archives yet? It just looks sloppy not to have Happy here.
Bigger on the inside.
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2008 at 05:28
I'll vote for trusty and oh-so outrageous Kate Bush. Truth be told, I stopped paying attention to the other one after Y Kant Tori Read failed to pick up steam.

Edited by WalterDigsTunes - June 29 2008 at 05:29
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2008 at 07:32
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Any Happy Rhodes fans here?    She's another of the Kate/Tori mold.  Incredible voice and some unique music too.  In her high range she sounds just like Kate.  In her low range she sounds like Annie Lennox.  And she can switch between them effortlessly. 

That reminds me, why isn't she in the Archives yet? It just looks sloppy not to have Happy here.
I bought Building the Colossus after reading about her here and I can see the possibilities - can you recommned somethong more 'prog' than this for us to eval?
What?
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2008 at 09:31
Dean, she's not "prog". She's Art-Rock. All her albums walk the line between acoustic and atmospheric electronic pieces and the occasional electric guitar. The vocal harmonies are still the most complex aspect of her music. Go to this site:   http://wretchawry.com/happy/samples/ . It has a lot of complete songs for download from all her albums (I'd say half of every album, apart from her latest, are there). I quite like the sound of her latest album, that has it's own MySpace page with 6 full tracks: http://www.myspace.com/happyrhodesfindme .

At the lack of the old Art-Rock section, I guess Prog-Related would be the obvious choice to file her, next to her biggest influences, Queen and Kate Bush. But I still feel she's quite a bit more adventurous than those two.
Bigger on the inside.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2008 at 09:40
I'm sorry to have to flog a dead horse once again, but I am afraid some people still don't understand why AR was abolished. The reason was exactly that the definition was associated in many people's minds with the likes of David Bowie and Roxy Music - whom here we don't consider fully prog, hence their placement in Prog-Related. Crossover is the one subgenre created after the demise of AR that comes close to that - though any act included in Xover is considered fully prog. If Happy Rhodes is not fully prog, she would be added to Prog-Related, as would Tori Amos - and PR is where Queen and Kate Bush still are, btw.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2008 at 10:02
..Yes, exactly. Crossover, Eclectic and Heavy prog are still Art Rock subgenres and are used to differentiate between art rock artists who are prog and those that are prog related since Art Rock covers both.
What?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2008 at 10:21
Originally posted by Heavyfreight Heavyfreight wrote:

Tori versus Kate eh?

It would certainly be interesting to watch.  My money's on Kate Bush in the third round.LOL

Yep, strip to the waist and find like a man (girls)
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2008 at 15:37
Somehow Tori does not do it for me.  Kate at least seems a bit more substantial.
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 06:15
In my mind Tori Amos is way in front of Kate Bush.

Not only for the songs themselves, which individually I find far superior, but an absolute mastery of keyboards and album concepts that justify any Prog classification (see Scarlets Walk with its take on 9/11, The Beekeeper with its gardens concept or the five persona angle of American Doll Posse).

Apparently she's criticised for padding a lot of her albums with filler, but I don't hear it. Once aquainted with the tunes, every song is a gem!

Shame that my request for entering her name on PA was shafted a while back.   Ouch

Edited by npjnpj - June 30 2008 at 09:45
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 08:56
I'm with you on adding Tori, she runs rings around many of the officially prog keyboardists with her talents. 

Looks like I'm going to have check out Happy Rhodes now.  Totally new one to me.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 09:07
Just for the record: as far as I know, Tori was NEVER rejected by the Xover team. I know for sure that Micky listened to some of her material, and when he comes here in three weeks' time I'll make him listen to some of the albums by her I have at home. The addition was held up by other things, since unfortunately we all have a life outside PA. As regards Happy Rhodes, I listened to her MySpace samples, but was not particularly impressed.
paolo.beenees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 09:07
I've been in love with Kate since I first saw her at the Italian "Festivalbar" in 1978 (I was 5 back then...)
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 09:28

Ghost Rider : Oh good, glad to hear that the final decision hasn't been made yet.

I hadn't heard anything for quite a while and I'd assumed the matter was closed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234