Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: SHEAR - looking for feedback please
    Posted: April 19 2007 at 07:44
Hi All,

Band: Shear
Genre: Progressive/Rock
Bio: I am a self taught musician, with drumming and guitar skills.  I have been listening to prog rock for the last 20 years or so.  This is a solo project, with real guitars, and Reason as my main source of sampler/sequencer....  enjoy!

Edited by JustinTime - May 02 2007 at 15:35
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 08:55
No band yet? No artistic name? Embarrassed
Guigo

~~~~~~
Tristan Mulders View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 09:03
There's some good pieces in there! Keep up the work Tongue
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
JustinTime View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 18:02
Sorry, I will change the title to clarify that.

In the myspace page it should show the name (SHEAR) and also the album concept art :)

Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

No band yet? No artistic name? Embarrassed
StarsongAgeless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 19:18
Ah, here you are!  I listened to your samples the other day.  Shear is simply fantastic.  You definately have a gift for songwriting and subtle harmony.   I wonder, are you also having difficulty finding other band members, or do you prefer to do music alone for now at least?

I'm kind of torn, myself.  I want to put together another band, but at the same time I want time to develop my songs more before jumping in again.

Just a comment, I know your songs are in early stages, but are you thinking of putting some lyrics/vocals in at some point?   As I'm listening to it, I can really picture vocals going extremely well with your music and adding a new dimension.  I think I thought of it because some of the sound effects you used already remind me of the sounds made by a human voice (which I liked a lot, by the way).

'Triumphant Exit' is really a triumph.  I love that song already, and I've only heard it a few times... but it's already growing on me.
Check out the Unsigned Bands section!
"Like the time I ran away, and turned around and you were standing close to me." Yes' Awaken
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 20:22
StarsongAgeless,

Thanks, I'm really glad you appreciate the music the way you do.   I would love to have some lyrics added, but I am no singer, and my voice is really below average.

I would love it if someone with good singing skills would have a go at putting some lyrics over this... I would encourage anyone who wants to seriously have a go at it to contact me.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 15:53
Hello, JustinTime!

Listening to Digression right now. Reminds me of IQ circa 93-97, but more spacy...nevertheless, Nicholls' voice would definetely fit here!

Triumphant Exit is the same way IQish - I see it as a culmination/ballad ending of a certain epic. Subtle orchestration is somewhat YESy to my ears...but quite enjoyable!

Very well done, man, keep it!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 23:38
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Hello, JustinTime!

Listening to Digression right now. Reminds me of IQ circa 93-97, but more spacy...nevertheless, Nicholls' voice would definetely fit here!

Triumphant Exit is the same way IQish - I see it as a culmination/ballad ending of a certain epic. Subtle orchestration is somewhat YESy to my ears...but quite enjoyable!

Very well done, man, keep it!

Hiya Prog-jester. :)  That's so interesting... I didn't notice the IQ-ishness, but maybe that's because I'm not crazy about IQ.  I actually like JustinTime's stuff better already than what I've heard from IQ.  My dad tried to get me into IQ but failed miserably.  Oh well. :)  I can always try again.

I do see what you mean about 'Triumphant Exit' fitting as the culmination of an epic.  It would fit great like that, but I already like it all by itself.  The sounds used in there are just so well mixed and suited to their placement.   I hear the Yes-like flavor you're talking about in the structure, but this is a more gentle song than most of Yes' creations.  And I just love the use of the distorted guitar playing the single notes.

Oh, and you're welcome, JustinTime!

Edited by StarsongAgeless - April 29 2007 at 23:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 13:50
Are you as amazed as I am at how few people are posting in this section of the site?

I think this is the most interesting section!

By the way, I've got a recording for you, but I'm not happy with it yet.  Tonight I'm going to re-do it, hopefully with better pitch!  For some reason I was off in a lot of spots.

Have a great day!
"Like the time I ran away, and turned around and you were standing close to me." Yes' Awaken
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 21:08
I've been anxiously waiting for it!

I am working on another song at the moment. Will post it when done.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 12:37
Originally posted by StarsongAgeless StarsongAgeless wrote:

Are you as amazed as I am at how few people are posting in this section of the site?

I think this is the most interesting section!

By the way, I've got a recording for you, but I'm not happy with it yet.  Tonight I'm going to re-do it, hopefully with better pitch!  For some reason I was off in a lot of spots.

Have a great day!

Yes, Jamie, but the number of visitors here have improved a bit recently. Anyway, I still continue to invite people to come here. Smile

Don't foget to add the new track(s) in your own thread, fellow.
Guigo

~~~~~~
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 10:14
JustinTime, I like the new sample you put up - it has a naivete about it (which I like) that isn't present to this degree in the other two songs.  It almost has a hessitant feel to it, like a child who isn't sure if they should pet the cute-looking doggy or not, then decides to go ahead and do it.  I can't wait to hear the rest of this!

The number of visitors has increased a lot in the last few days.  Oh, sorry the recording I was talking about wasn't actually for my band, it was something else.  Sorry for the confusion.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 10:56
StarsongAgeless ,
Thanks for the feedback.    Indeed, the intention here is to get a simpler and different song to break away from the mold...   very much work in progress, but I already have 80% structure complete in my latest version.  I'll post the final when ready in a few days and let you know.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2007 at 11:46
I like your updated version of the new song, it is a little more full sounding but it definately keeps the same hesitant mood I mentioned before.  (I think I need to look that word up so that I can spell it right ...)  It's a very sweet song so far with a pleasant 'vibe'. Smile

It's torture when it ends abruptly like that though. ;)  I really want to hear what happens when you continue it!
 Post Reply Post Reply