Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJust another newbie from Holland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 16:42
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

I have lived near Marlot and Wassenaar so say no more about 'Kakkers ' AngryLOL!

By the way UncleMeat69 (favorite position?), watch the Frank Zappa documentary (two editions) this week on the Dutch TV Clap

Thanks for the tip. I just checked, it's on Nederland 2

not position, year of birth. Stern%20Smile

Edited by unclemeat69 - April 21 2007 at 16:45
Follow your bliss
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 17:43
I attended a Frank Zappa concert in the early Eighties, great to see all those hippie fathers with their kids on their shoulders and Zappa frequently tuning his guitar with his headphone on while the band played the most amazing time signatures Wacko but Zappa remained in control, his most favorite hobby Wink !
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2007 at 12:24
Can someone rename this thread to "DE HAAG BRUìST" and move it to the non-music related discussions section? Wink

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2007 at 12:39
Hihi, we Hagenezen are taking over Evil%20Smile

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2007 at 13:13

Jules Deelder, night mayor of Rotterdam 

Only in your dreams! Wink

Rotterdam is the place to be!

(And Menen, Belgium LOL)

Den Haag waar leg dat dan? Cool

Edited by Moogtron III - April 22 2007 at 13:14
unclemeat69 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2007 at 13:35
Can we take it back to music? 
Follow your bliss
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2007 at 14:14
Yes, we can, sorry 'bout that LOL

I read you like Fela Kuti. Now that's an artist I would like to check out once. Is there an album you can recommend? I have the idea that he made many albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2007 at 16:33
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I read you like Fela Kuti. Now that's an artist I would like to check out once. Is there an album you can recommend? I have the idea that he made many albums.

You're right, there are quite a lot of albums. Most of his total output is available on CD (2 albums per CD), with a few of them missing..
As his albums usually sound more like 12" singles (rarely crossing the 30minute mark in total) , it might be best to try some of his 70's albums like Gentleman or Zombie as the songs are a little shorter like 10 to 15 minutes, in the 80's his songs would be closer to 30 minutes (best to hear those on cd rather than lp as the songs are cut in two halves on vynil, an instrumental side with some saxophone/piano,guitar solos, and a vocal side). The typical Fela song would have an instrumental section and a vocal section, where the basic groove his being maintained throughout the song. But there's lots and lots happening on top of the groove.

So probably my favorite 70's albums:
Gentleman/Afrodisiac
Zombie
Monkey Banana/Excuse-O
J.J.D./Unnecessary Begging

Favorite 80's albums (if you've survived the above mentioned):
Teacher Don't Teach Me Nonsense
Beasts Of No Nation/Overtake Don Overtake Overtake

There's also a compilation 2cd (which I don't  have, because I have all the albums already). This one is called Best Best of Fela, which the selection done by his son Femi.

Hope this has been helpful to you.

Follow your bliss
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 03:11
Originally posted by unclemeat69 unclemeat69 wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

You're right, there are quite a lot of albums. Most of his total output is available on CD (2 albums per CD), with a few of them missing..
As his albums usually sound more like 12" singles (rarely crossing the 30minute mark in total) , it might be best to try some of his 70's albums like Gentleman or Zombie as the songs are a little shorter like 10 to 15 minutes, in the 80's his songs would be closer to 30 minutes (best to hear those on cd rather than lp as the songs are cut in two halves on vynil, an instrumental side with some saxophone/piano,guitar solos, and a vocal side). The typical Fela song would have an instrumental section and a vocal section, where the basic groove his being maintained throughout the song. But there's lots and lots happening on top of the groove.

So probably my favorite 70's albums:
Gentleman/Afrodisiac
Zombie
Monkey Banana/Excuse-O
J.J.D./Unnecessary Begging

Favorite 80's albums (if you've survived the above mentioned):
Teacher Don't Teach Me Nonsense
Beasts Of No Nation/Overtake Don Overtake Overtake

There's also a compilation 2cd (which I don't  have, because I have all the albums already). This one is called Best Best of Fela, which the selection done by his son Femi.

Hope this has been helpful to you.

Yes, very much! I once heard a long track on the radio by Fela that was fascinating. He was raging against... I think it was I.T.T., probably some western multinational in Africa. So he got on my list of artists-I-would-like-to-check-out.

Thanks!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 13:12
A lot of his earlier songs were about african culture, which upset a lot of the african governments who tried to perform well as european puppets. So Fela got in trouble with the Nigerian governement many times, he was severely attacked expecially by Obansanjo (the very same guy who is in charge overthere now, one of his henchman was Yar'Adua, who supposedly won the current election). So Fela's songs became more and more political. ITT (IInternational Thief Thief) being one of them. If you want some more (the whole collection?), http://biochem.chem.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~endo/EAFela.html here  you can find a very large, detailed discography of the man (mostly vinyl stuff).

Does anyone have any idea how I can put links here?

Edited by unclemeat69 - April 24 2007 at 13:13
Follow your bliss
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 13:32
http://biochem.chem.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~endo/EAFela.html.html

Like this. Click on the globe symbol above your message box (right from the spell check, left from the emoticons. You can insert a hyperlink now.

Thanks!

Edited by Moogtron III - April 24 2007 at 13:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 14:06
thnx back . http://www.afromix.org/html/musique/artistes/fela_anikulapo_kuti/index.en.html
another discography with cd's available and a dvd.

I warn you about the man's attitude during concerts (I made a concious choice never to see him live because of this, his recordings are enough for me), because he yells and screams at his musicians, he's known to beat his (numerous) wives etc. A genuine Censored

He died about 10 years ago

Edited by unclemeat69 - April 24 2007 at 14:07
Follow your bliss
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 16:49
Originally posted by unclemeat69 unclemeat69 wrote:

thnx back . http://www.afromix.org/html/musique/artistes/fela_anikulapo_kuti/index.en.html
another discography with cd's available and a dvd.

I warn you about the man's attitude during concerts (I made a concious choice never to see him live because of this, his recordings are enough for me), because he yells and screams at his musicians, he's known to beat his (numerous) wives etc. A genuine Censored

He died about 10 years ago

Really! (About the yelling, beating etc.) Thanks once again. Yes, I know he died. I also remember that some of his children had a band (Femi, Sola and Yeni). And I remember that Femi saw his father as the leader of Africa. I suppose because of the political messages in his music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12