Topic ClosedSpock’s Beard Mean Fiddler 13 May 2007

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spock’s Beard Mean Fiddler 13 May 2007
    Posted: May 15 2007 at 08:32

I was in two minds as to whether to review this gig or not, as I confess I didn’t recognise the majority of the songs they played. I’ve yet to hear the latest self-titled album and have only played most of their albums a few times. The one I know best is “Snow” and they didn’t play anything from that! Despite this it was a highly enjoyable gig and I’m sure Blacksword will say the same thing.

This is my second gig at the Mean Fiddler and, as before with Pendragon, the sound was amazing. It was not so loud that you had to retreat to the back with ears bleeding, but just the right volume. You could hear what Nick was singing and pick out all the individual instruments without a problem. The bass sound was one of the best I’ve heard at a gig.

They played a number of songs from the new album and a selection from most others, including a medley from “The Light”. Alan Morse is an unlikely looking guitar hero but played some very tasteful solos. Ryo got a lot of cheers and is quite a character, Nick D’Virgillio is a very talented individual, doing the lead vocals, playing guitar, keyboard and drums, although not all at the same time (and I hate him Smile). Dave Meros plays very solid bass and had a thick growly bass sound that I would kill for. I didn’t catch the name of the Phil Collins look-alike on drums but he was a phenomenal drummer - the dual drum solo in the middle was amazing, even though we didn’t realise there was a second drum kit on the stage at first.

The Mean Fiddler is an excellent venue and the tickets were a bargain at £12.50. All this and Chris Squire was (apparently) there too! The only minor gripe was that there were no CDs for sale, despite announcing that Alan Morse’s new solo CD was for sale in the foyer when they played a track from it.

Edited by chopper - May 15 2007 at 08:33
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 17:41
Good review Alan. I only knew a few of the songs too, but it was an excellent gig. Brilliant sound, and great musicianship all round. The small venue was pretty packed out with a lively crowd too, which always helps.

I'd certainly go and see SB again. Well worth the £12.50!! A really good night.
ProgRobUK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 18:39

My wife and I were also there.  My first Spock's Beard gig and second or third gig at the venue.  My wife bought me the tickets as a surprise (and a real surprise as she doesn't know Spock's Beard's music at all).

I had a fantastic night.  Most of the tracks from the new album were played - unfortunately they didn't play my favourite ('With Your Kiss') Cry.  The opener 'On A Perfect Day' was knockout with even my wife saying how good it was ("better than most of the stuff on the new Marillion album", she said).  Older stuff included 'Crack the Big Sky' (off 'Day for Night'), 'Thoughts 2' (off 'V'), 'Surfing Down The Avalanche' (off 'Octane') and the aforementioned medley from 'The Light'.

The encore was the whole of 'As Far As The Mind Can See' followed by 'Rearranged' both off the new album.  I always felt that 'Rearranged' was a bit of an afterthought on the album, but it was superb live.

NDV was amazingly hyperactive - I wasn't expecting him to start off playing the guitar or to have him playing keyboards too.  However, a highlight was him and the additional drummer (sorry, forgot his name) playing an amazing drum duet.

Alan Morse was strange - pulling some of the most amazing faces while playing.  I liked the way he wandered round into the audience during the drum duet.  The band also played a track from his new solo album - sorry, but not too impressed with that track though.

Much amusement as Ryo said hello to "our friend Chris who played bass with us at a gig in LA - is Chris Squire here?".  Ryo also played 'Hereafter' from the new album as a piano solo - really nice.

Overall a really enjoyable night!
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2007 at 18:43
Wish I could have been there. Thanks Alan!!

..and thaks Rob prog for the additional insight.Clap

Edited by Snow Dog - May 15 2007 at 18:44
 Post Reply Post Reply