Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReview without description

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review without description
    Posted: May 20 2007 at 06:57

During my reviewing process, I am amazed at times to see five stars ratings without any explanation. On top of this (but I agree that anyone can express a different opinion than mine of course), one has to admit that very scarcely we are confronted to a masterpiece.

I have rated some albums with no comments in case of compilations or albums that are similar but with another title (which at times occur, unfortunately).

I understand that sometimes people want to express their opinion but do not master English enough to do so. I know that other sites exist in other languages (French and Italian for sure, but probably in German and Spanish as well). So, there will be always a place to give one's opinion.

I would prefer to read a comment even if at times the English is not really mastered. I can tell you that even if I studied English extensively, I have always my dictionary aside to verify if I don't make too many mistakes.

My point is : we should not allow any longer ratings without reviewing below the required amount of words. And if this decision is finally taken, to retrieve all these rating to get a more objective and acurate idea of the work described.

What is your opinion about this ?

Take care.
ZowieZiggy
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2007 at 07:50
I fear this one is gonna be moved or deleted because this subject has been discussed many many times.

Quote ZZ: My point is : we should not allow any longer ratings without reviewing below the required amount of words. And if this decision is finally taken, to retrieve all these rating to get a more objective and acurate idea of the work described. End quote.

I do agree with this one.

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2007 at 10:22
This is one of my crusades. I even suggested using volunteer translators for those who don't speak english.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2007 at 14:45
Ratings without reviews carry less weight when it comes to overall/average ratings. The site owners have made it clear that they form an integral part of the site, so there's no chance of them being removed or stopped.

I'd suggest you might have more chance of success in crusading for a further reduction in their weighting.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2007 at 14:48
OK, let's do it. Let's give them the least amount of value possible. Then add a disclaimer explaining that the absence of a review will keep it from figuring very highly in the overall rating.

Edited by bhikkhu - May 20 2007 at 14:50
ZowieZiggy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2007 at 17:10
That's very intersting to learn, Easy Living. I mean the weighting. Could you be more specific and tell us how low they are being taken into account in comparison to full reviewed efforts ?

By the way, you have mentioned that "The site owners have made it clear that they form an integral part of the site, so there's no chance of them being removed or stopped".

Is there a particular reason for that ? According to them, does it make the site more attractive ? Does it generate more traffic ?

I guess that intelligent people can change their minds so I won't start a crusade here but I 'm just asking if someone could tell me a bit more about this rather rigid policy.

Take care.
ZowieZiggy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 03:42
The derails are in the reviews guidelines thread ZZ, I have pasted them below.

The owners are keen to encourage participation by as wide a range of memebrs as possible. Some people feel they are unable to write coherent reviews, while others can do so in their own language but not in English. Rather than exclude such people from taking part in the site and recording their views, we allow ratings without reviews.

Weighting of star ratings
All reviewers should note that the following values are given to star ratings when calculating averages, top 100 charts etc.:

• Ratings without reviews (any review with less than 200 characters, i.e. letters, is considered to be a rating without a review) are given a value of 1.
  • Reviews (of more than 200 characters) are given a value of 2, or double that of a rating without review.
  • Reviews by Prog Reviewers and Special Collaborators are given a value of 3, or three times that of a rating without a review.
ZowieZiggy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 07:43
Thanks a lot Easy Livin for these details.

Take care.
ZowieZiggy
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 12:05
Originally posted by ZowieZiggy ZowieZiggy wrote:

Thanks a lot Easy Livin for these details.

Take care.

Makes sense to to me. Now back to sleep. , I mean to more important things
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2007 at 14:45
There are more important things?Shocked
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 17:14
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

The derails are in the reviews guidelines thread ZZ, I have pasted them below.

The owners are keen to encourage participation by as wide a range of memebrs as possible. Some people feel they are unable to write coherent reviews, while others can do so in their own language but not in English. Rather than exclude such people from taking part in the site and recording their views, we allow ratings without reviews.

Weighting of star ratings
All reviewers should note that the following values are given to star ratings when calculating averages, top 100 charts etc.:

• Ratings without reviews (any review with less than 200 characters, i.e. letters, is considered to be a rating without a review) are given a value of 1.
  • Reviews (of more than 200 characters) are given a value of 2, or double that of a rating without review.
  • Reviews by Prog Reviewers and Special Collaborators are given a value of 3, or three times that of a rating without a review.

Still, this is not fully clear. If I understand, a review with less than 200 characters is equal with a mere rating without any review?! So if someone writes a decent review with 190 characters, is it considered the same like just a clicking on a star rating? Then, what's all the trouble?

Also, what if PR or SC gives a rating without a review? How many points does it make?

I wonder...Confused
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 18:06
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

There are more important things?Shocked

Yes, like waiting for the next thread post that provides me with a perfect set up line for an inane commentBig%20smile
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Rubidium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 22:12
Originally posted by Seyo Seyo wrote:

Still, this is not fully clear. If I understand, a review with less than 200 characters is equal with a mere rating without any review?! So if someone writes a decent review with 190 characters, is it considered the same like just a clicking on a star rating? Then, what's all the trouble?

Also, what if PR or SC gives a rating without a review? How many points does it make?

I wonder...Confused

How on Earth could somebody write a decent review with less than 200 characters?  In fact, the first paragraph quoted above has 237 characters, excluding spaces, which I assume don't count.  Quite frankly, if I read a review that was that short, I'd think it quite pathetic, but maybe that's just me.

And I assume a rating without review by a PR or SC is only worth 1 point since it is not a review.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 03:47
Quite so. The 200 characters restriction is there precisely to recognise that a decent review of an album cannot have less than about 50 words.

Collaborotor reviews and ratings all carry the same weighting. It shoudl be remembered though that they have been appointed as collabs because of their contributions. It is very rare for a collab to submit a rating without review.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 03:54
Originally posted by Rubidium Rubidium wrote:

How on Earth could somebody write a decent review with less than 200 characters?  In fact, the first paragraph quoted above has 237 characters, excluding spaces, which I assume don't count.  Quite frankly, if I read a review that was that short, I'd think it quite pathetic, but maybe that's just me.

some of the best, most compelling reviews I see (professional) are under two-hundred words.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 04:13
Just to be clear, the restriction is 200 characters (about 50 words).
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 04:16
ah

Post Reply Post Reply