Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDrum Machine? MIDI Controller? New TT?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drum Machine? MIDI Controller? New TT?
    Posted: February 22 2005 at 17:11
I just got a belated (very belated) holiday gift of $250 for Sam Ash Music!!! I don't know what to get. I'm interested in making jazz/rock/prog, and I'm considering getting a drum machine. Any suggestions in this department? I'm somewhat skilled with MIDI technology, but I've never touched a drum machine in my life. I want something that can swing too, for jazz purposes.

What about a MIDI controller? I have a synth, but its not much in terms of MIDI channels... can't play too many at once. If I get a drum machine, I assume I'll need a MIDI controller anyway, right? I was thinking something cheap, you know, with just over 24 keys or something like that.

Finally, I was considering getting a turntable. Any suggestions there?

Thanks!
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2005 at 15:47

Have a look at Evolution's midi-controlllers - cheap and with lots of controllers that can be mapped to soft synths.

I'm not a drum machine guy - I used loops but if I need a drum machine I use soft-synth ones (loving Fruity Loops and it's cheap and very useful for a lot of sequencing duties) but it is step-time programming - if you hate that well..... But you can load up samples, step-time programme them, muck about with them on a piano roll, sequence patterns etc etc. It's good.

Regarding a turntable - if you're on a budget a Rega Planar 3 is solid and usable

if you've got money to spend - try a Linn LP12 - i have one, it's old and hasn't been upgraded a lot and I adore it. It's great.

Hunt around for second hand ones - there's plenty out there on ebay

alternatively have a look at Clearaudio - they have a basic model for around Euros700 and the upgrade path is infinite.

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2005 at 11:40
I'm with Arcer on his suggestion of the Evolution controller. 

As for a deck, I've used a few in my time and the best of the cheaper units that I've come into contact with would probably either be the Numarks or if you can push the price a little, the Stantons.

At the top end you are looking at either Technics or Vestax IMO.
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
 Post Reply Post Reply